Started by TomM, August 29, 2021, 11:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

400excracer

I can tell you why I am not officiating this year. I don't want to wear a mask.

MNbadger

So it's not the fans getting after you or the 10-12 hour Saturdays or the weigh ins and having to disqualify kids for skin issues or coaches on your rear and in your ear?  The mask is just too much, the straw that broke the camel's back?
Quote from: 400excracer on September 09, 2021, 01:02:17 PM
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

npope

Quote from: MNbadger on September 09, 2021, 07:26:45 PM
So it's not the fans getting after you or the 10-12 hour Saturdays or the weigh ins and having to disqualify kids for skin issues or coaches on your rear and in your ear?  The mask is just too much, the straw that broke the camel's back?
Gotta agree with MNBadger here - a lousy mask is the deal breaker for you?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

padre

Quote from: npope on September 10, 2021, 04:57:48 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on September 09, 2021, 07:26:45 PM
Gotta agree with MNBadger here - a lousy mask is the deal breaker for you?

Go run around a mat for 12 hours with a mask on and you may change your mind.

DarkKnight

I agree with Padre and excracer. No further discussion really necessary.

MNbadger

I (and I assume all other coaches) demonstrated and wrestled with our athletes with masks on.  This in addition to wearing them all day on the job.
The wrestlers wore them when they wrestled in Wisconsin, didn't they?
I am posting this even though DarkKnight decreed that there was to be no more discussion........
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

asdf

Decades of RN's, surgeons, lab techs, scientists, tons of construction trades, and countless other professions that have been wearing masks and lots of other PPE (many that are much more restrictive) in much worse conditions then a HS gym think you are probably being just a bit dramatic.

And now I decree this the end of the conversation.

dman

Just have to shake my head...I'll never understand how people feel the need to tell others how they should think and feel about things.  There's an official shortage, and an official comes on here and explains why he doesn't want to do it anymore and the reason why, and low and behold, the self-righteous non-officials chose to criticize that official.  Boy, that will help with the official's shortage.  ::) 

padre

Quote from: dman on September 14, 2021, 07:44:55 AM
Just have to shake my head...I'll never understand how people feel the need to tell others how they should think and feel about things.  There's an official shortage, and an official comes on here and explains why he doesn't want to do it anymore and the reason why, and low and behold, the self-righteous non-officials chose to criticize that official.  Boy, that will help with the official's shortage.  ::)

Plus one.

Your references to people doing it in their job is pointless.  That's how they make their living.  Refs do it because they enjoy it.  Wearing a mask brings very little enjoyment.

MNbadger

Referees are paid for their work.  Yes, it includes doing it for the enjoyment like other jobs. 
I suppose it is like coaching.  Coaching is a paid position.  The pay is not much when you calculate the hours so it is done for the love of the sport to some degree.  That has not stopped numerous accusations/intimations of coaches being lazy. 
Apparently for some the mask is too far to go for the money and/or the enjoyment of the sport.

wrastle63

Quote from: dman on September 14, 2021, 07:44:55 AM
Just have to shake my head...I'll never understand how people feel the need to tell others how they should think and feel about things. There's an official shortage, and an official comes on here and explains why he doesn't want to do it anymore and the reason why, and low and behold, the self-righteous non-officials chose to criticize that official.  Boy, that will help with the official's shortage.  ::)
+ 100000000000

npope

I suspect the lack of support for the ref in the Halter mess a few years back might also have had some impact on people wanting to ref.

Nat Pope

chucker66

Quote from: npope on September 15, 2021, 02:26:42 PM
I suspect the lack of support for the ref in the Halter mess a few years back might also have had some impact on people wanting to ref.
What do you mean?  The WIAA fought this all the way and eventually won.  The title was vacated. 

Chuck

npope

Quote from: chucker66 on September 17, 2021, 07:12:38 AM
Quote from: npope on September 15, 2021, 02:26:42 PM
What do you mean?  The WIAA fought this all the way and eventually won.  The title was vacated. 

Chuck

Yes - of course. I was not talking about the WIAA - I am referring to the posters and others who questioned the ref's behavior and enforcement of the rules; the subsequent court injunction voiding the ref's decision on the mat, etc. If I was that ref (if I can allow myself the privilege of having an opinion even though I am not currently a ref), I would not have been too happy with the public pushback I got for enforcing the rules as written. I know the WIAA was working to have the system work the way it was formulated.

Nat Pope