2022 Wisconsin Badger Preview

Started by Harris, August 28, 2021, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

Quote from: Harris on October 16, 2021, 09:02:41 AM
I hope the Jump Around on Monday addresses the projected starters.  WrestleStat updated starters:

125 – Barnett
133 - Burwick
141 – Dentino
149 – Gomez
157 – Model
165 – Otto
174 – McNally
184 – Weiler
197 – Amos
285 – Hillger

Maybe the true freshmen will redshirt pending success at Midlands.

Harris

Quote from: dad 2 5 on October 16, 2021, 10:04:51 AM
Harris, with that lineup how do you think the Badgers fair in the Big Ten? I see some great strengths but also some glaring holes that need work on

I think the Big Ten is going to be tough regardless, but I think the Badgers have a favorable Big Ten Schedule this year since they don't wrestle Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan.  I'm thinking WrestleStat would probably put them at 4-4 in the Big Ten right now.  I am more optimistic than that but that's why they wrestle the matches.  Iowa and Nebraska are tough matchups with Rutgers and Minnesota presenting some big challenges as well.  I think they are expected to beat Northwestern, Maryland, Purdue, and Illinois. 

Harris

11/1  Wisconsin                     Buffalo                Wrestle Stat Prediction

125    (19)Eric Barnett (So)     (65) Tristan Daugherty (Fr) W
133     (26) Kyle Burwick (F)     (21) Derek Spann (Sr)     W
141    (143) Dominic Dentino (So)(77) Ben Freeman (Jr)     L
149    (7) Austin Gomez (Jr)     (112) John Arceri (Sr)     W
157    (51) Garret Model (Jr)      (27) Michael Petite (So)     L
165    (117) Josh Otto (Fr)             (98) Ty Raines (Fr)             L
174    (7) Andrew McNally (Sr)     (120) Guiseppe Hoose (So) W
184    (22) Chris Weiler (Sr)     (79) Peter Acciardi (So)     W
197    (106) Braxton Amos (Fr)     (86) Sam Mitchell (Fr)     L
285    (7) Trent Hillger (Jr)             (50) Toby Cahill (Jr)            W

Team Score 23-13 with Braxton as the underdog! I am predicting Braxton wins.  I also predict either Josh Otto or Dominic Dentino gets back on track and wins one or both of those matches if this is the line up.  I think the most interesting match ups are at 133 and 157.  WrestleStat is predicting Burwick to beat the higher ranked wrestler based on their common results.  I think this would be a great win for Burwick.  Personally, I think Model can beat Petite based on their common results.  That should be a great match.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Harris on October 16, 2021, 07:24:36 PM
11/1  Wisconsin                     Buffalo                Wrestle Stat Prediction

125    (19)Eric Barnett (So)     (65) Tristan Daugherty (Fr) W
133     (26) Kyle Burwick (F)     (21) Derek Spann (Sr)     W
141    (143) Dominic Dentino (So)(77) Ben Freeman (Jr)     L
149    (7) Austin Gomez (Jr)     (112) John Arceri (Sr)     W
157    (51) Garret Model (Jr)      (27) Michael Petite (So)     L
165    (117) Josh Otto (Fr)             (98) Ty Raines (Fr)             L
174    (7) Andrew McNally (Sr)     (120) Guiseppe Hoose (So) W
184    (22) Chris Weiler (Sr)     (79) Peter Acciardi (So)     W
197    (106) Braxton Amos (Fr)     (86) Sam Mitchell (Fr)     L
285    (7) Trent Hillger (Jr)             (50) Toby Cahill (Jr)            W

Team Score 23-13 with Braxton as the underdog! I am predicting Braxton wins.  I also predict either Josh Otto or Dominic Dentino gets back on track and wins one or both of those matches if this is the line up.  I think the most interesting match ups are at 133 and 157.  WrestleStat is predicting Burwick to beat the higher ranked wrestler based on their common results.  I think this would be a great win for Burwick.  Personally, I think Model can beat Petite based on their common results.  That should be a great match.

I think it goes 27-12 Badgers

Harris

Well, I guess we now know what happened to Hayden Copass.  He just posted on Twitter he is going to Purdue  :o

https://twitter.com/copass59/status/1449871317407346690

DarkKnight

I'm happy for Copass... he can have success.

Badgers #1

mkm13

Too bad. That said, if Hillger decides to wrestle 2 more years with the free year last year, i can see why Copass would look elsewhere.  I am not sure what we are giving Christensen for acholarship $, but i am not sure how we could givr a lot to Copass for 2 years while having both Hillger and Christensen.

wrastle63

Quote from: mkm13 on October 17, 2021, 08:40:06 PM
Too bad. That said, if Hillger decides to wrestle 2 more years with the free year last year, i can see why Copass would look elsewhere.  I am not sure what we are giving Christensen for acholarship $, but i am not sure how we could givr a lot to Copass for 2 years while having both Hillger and Christensen.
Also have Empey as well. Competition in the HWT class. Wish Copass luck, but maybe he didn't want to try and beat our Christensen and Empey.

tigerking

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 18, 2021, 08:46:32 AM
Also have Empey as well. Competition in the HWT class. Wish Copass luck, but maybe he didn't want to try and beat our Christensen and Empey.

I have a hard time thinking he wouldn't be able to beat Christensen or Empey. He should have a big size advantage on Empey and I am not sure if Christensen has won a BIG 10 match in his career.

wrastle63

Quote from: tigerking on October 18, 2021, 10:30:05 AM

I have a hard time thinking he wouldn't be able to beat Christensen or Empey. He should have a big size advantage on Empey and I am not sure if Christensen has won a BIG 10 match in his career.
Neither has Copass.

tigerking

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 18, 2021, 10:49:25 AM
Quote from: tigerking on October 18, 2021, 10:30:05 AM

Neither has Copass.

Regardless, I think this transfer hurts, but was something that seemed like a possibility from the beginning when looking at the amount of scholarship money is tied up in the upper weights and the possibility of him not starting for several years.

mkm13

From Bono:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1u-swDWy8

Both Burwkick and Rotondo are battling it out for 133.  Neither have plans to go to 141.  141 will be either Zargo or Dentino.  It would be a bit discouraging if a healthy Zargo does not beat Dentino since Dentino went winless last year.

tigerking

Quote from: mkm13 on October 18, 2021, 02:12:45 PM
From Bono:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1u-swDWy8

Both Burwkick and Rotondo are battling it out for 133.  Neither have plans to go to 141.  141 will be either Zargo or Dentino.  It would be a bit discouraging if a healthy Zargo does not beat Dentino since Dentino went winless last year.
Really hoping Zargo makes a big jump this year. Could give the dual team a boost if he can step in and win some matches.

dad 2 5

mkm13

It will be interesting how the Burwick/Rotundo battle ends up.  Bono talks very highly of Rotundo again and talked about his big improvement. 

I don't really understand the battle at 141 between Zargo and Dentino.  If for some reason Zargo can't win the spot, I have to believe the loser of Burwick/Rotundo at 133 can beat Dentino.  Nothing against Dentino, but he was 0-10 last year and his closest match was when he was shut out 4-0.  It would be nice if whoever was at 141 had a chance of winning a big 10 match this year and was not basically an automatic loss.

Otto/Hamiti is also interesting.  Otto was also winless last year as well, but he had many competitive matches against good wrestlers.  Otto either needs to make a jump offensively, or hopefully Hamiti is ready to go.

Hopefully Weiler is fully recovered from his surgery.  If he is, and Hamiti does wrestle, 165-HWT is a pretty impressive.