2022 Wisconsin Badger Preview

Started by Harris, August 28, 2021, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkm13

I would say the odds of Model being a qualifier are not great, but hope I am wrong.  I would like to say both Rotondo at 133 and Burwick at 141 will make it, but could also see them just missing out.

wrastle63

Model was right on the edge last year. He was ranked #26 by the coaches, but lots of guys not ranked got in because of how they did the AQs. Also have to remember that we only wrestled Big Ten teams. This season we have opens and other conferences on the schedule. Guys like Model who were on the edge of qualifying will be able to boost their record compared to just wrestling Big Ten.

gwmiller44

As a team I would be surprised to see them crack the top 25, with all schools back.
Really? Think, Wow!

mkm13

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 06, 2021, 08:05:58 AM
Model was right on the edge last year. He was ranked #26 by the coaches, but lots of guys not ranked got in because of how they did the AQs. Also have to remember that we only wrestled Big Ten teams. This season we have opens and other conferences on the schedule. Guys like Model who were on the edge of qualifying will be able to boost their record compared to just wrestling Big Ten.

This year will also be more difficult than last year as there were guys sitting out and a few teams not wrestling.  They will be back this year, in addition to guys getting a free year, so additional depth.  I certainly hope you are correct, but think they odds at this point are not in his favor, short of jumping levels.  I hope you are right and we can look back and see how wrong my post was.

mkm13

Quote from: gwmiller44 on October 06, 2021, 08:35:37 AM
As a team I would be surprised to see them crack the top 25, with all schools back.

Assuming our top 7 guys (Barnett, Gomez, Hamiti, McNally, Weiler, Amos, and Hillger) stay relatively healthy and all wrestle, it would be a disappointment to not be in the top 25.  Having said that, at NCAAs, you need to place high to score a lot of points.  It is likely only a couple of them have the potential to be top 3 or 4 at this point, so high points at NCAAs might be limited.

vsmf2010

What it your basis for this statement? Wrestlestat has them at #21 with Rotondo at 73, Hamiti at 137, and Amos at 113. Also to be outside of the top 25 you would likely have to be bottom 4 or 5 in the Big Ten I would think.

rjchev141

50 points is a reasonable target to get within the top 10.  I would not be surprised at all by exceeding that.
125 – Barnett, 7th, 10.5 points
133 – Burwick/Rotondo, Qual 2-2, 2.0 points
141 – Burwick/Zargo, 0 points
149 - Gomez, 7th, 10.5 points
157 – Model/Scharenbrock, 0 points
165 – Hamiti, Qual 3-2, 3.0 points
174 – McNally, Qual 3-2, 3.0 points
184 – Weiler, Qual 3-2, 3.0 points
197 – Amos, 3rd, 13.5 points
285 – Hilger, 7th, 9 points
Something like this is 54.5 points which would have a great shot to be top 10.  This assumes 8 qualifiers, 4 winning matches and scoring minimal points, 3 making low AA, and 1 higher AA.  This should be the goal minimum.

gwmiller44

I only see 1 AA, The conference alone not one champion maybe a 3rd and the rest lower.
Really? Think, Wow!

Gutwrench

Quote from: gwmiller44 on October 06, 2021, 10:58:04 AM
I only see 1 AA, The conference alone not one champion maybe a 3rd and the rest lower.

Booooooooooooo.   Wet blanket alert!

Just kidding  :)

Hopefully you are wrong, but it certainly is tough to be an AA.  Regardless I am looking forward to the season.  I think the potential is there.

rjchev141

This is certainly within reason, as we all know, this is going to be a brutally deep year at every weight.  But I would also say it is within reason that McNally, Weiler, or Hamiti could reach AA (similar to Barnett).

Numbers

At the moment I would think the Badger's NCAA placement betting line would be at 19th place (maybe 18.5).  We know what side of the line you would wager.

vsmf2010

So who are you predicting will not AA? Three time AA Trent Hillger or World Champion and #1 overall recruit Braxton Amos?

dad 2 5

Quote from: rjchev141 on October 06, 2021, 10:33:50 AM

50 points is a reasonable target to get within the top 10.  I would not be surprised at all by exceeding that.
125 – Barnett, 7th, 10.5 points
133 – Burwick/Rotondo, Qual 2-2, 2.0 points
141 – Burwick/Zargo, 0 points
149 - Gomez, 7th, 10.5 points
157 – Model/Scharenbrock, 0 points
165 – Hamiti, Qual 3-2, 3.0 points
174 – McNally, Qual 3-2, 3.0 points
184 – Weiler, Qual 3-2, 3.0 points
197 – Amos, 3rd, 13.5 points
285 – Hilger, 7th, 9 points
Something like this is 54.5 points which would have a great shot to be top 10.  This assumes 8 qualifiers, 4 winning matches and scoring minimal points, 3 making low AA, and 1 higher AA.  This should be the goal minimum.

I like the idea but I think Hamiti would struggle if he wrestles this year. I want to see what Amos does as I think he could be the next four timer and a guy that could win a title. The move of guy up seems against what Bono teaches and I think there could be some struggles there. With that said, I am excited to see how the year will unfold and guy will do adn I would really like to see some big time guys come in next year to add to the projection of the program

gwmiller44

Hillger has the experience and knows what it takes. I would be surprised to see Amos up a weight class and have success in our conference. I hope that they both do, they are my picks! Even though Hwy weight is really deep. If Amos went HWT after Hillger is finished.
Really? Think, Wow!

wrastle63

Quote from: gwmiller44 on October 07, 2021, 08:14:48 AM
Hilger has the experience and knows what it takes. I would be surprised to see Amos up a weight class and have success in our conference. I hope that they both do, they are my picks! Even though Hwy weight is really deep.
In what world do you think Amos is "up a weight class". He wrestled 97kg at worlds and won gold and bronze. He also wrestled 97kg at senior world team trials and took 3rd in Greco. If you need help converting that is 213lbs.