2022 Wisconsin Badger Preview

Started by Harris, August 28, 2021, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: Harris on September 02, 2021, 08:39:16 PM
80KG Cadet World Silver Medalist James Rowley from Oregon released his top 6 schools and UW Madison is on the list.  I believe Wisconsin is the best school on that list to meet his academic and athletic goals plus it is by far the best college town in the nation  ;D.  This is the athlete that Jon Reader went trap shooting with on his recruiting visit to Oregon.  Wisconsin is quietly building one of the best upper weight rooms around and Rowley would have some outstanding training partners.

Would be a great get.

Interesting school list. A lot of great schools for all different kinds of reasons. Always concerned when I see an Ivy league school or a military academy. They provide some things that the UW cannot compete with. Even without his wrestling skill, this school list tells me this is a very impressive young man.

wrastle63

Quote from: vsmf2010 on September 03, 2021, 12:42:15 PM
80KG Cadet World Silver Medalist James Rowley from Oregon released his top 6 schools and UW Madison is on the list.  I believe Wisconsin is the best school on that list to meet his academic and athletic goals plus it is by far the best college town in the nation  ;D.  This is the athlete that Jon Reader went trap shooting with on his recruiting visit to Oregon.  Wisconsin is quietly building one of the best upper weight rooms around and Rowley would have some outstanding training partners.

Would be a great get.

Interesting school list. A lot of great schools for all different kinds of reasons. Always concerned when I see an Ivy league school or a military academy. They provide some things that the UW cannot compete with. Even without his wrestling skill, this school list tells me this is a very impressive young man.
Also very interesting you don't see PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma State, etc. Looks like a kid trying to find his own path.

Harris

Quote from: wrastle63 on September 03, 2021, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on September 03, 2021, 12:42:15 PM

Would be a great get.

Also very interesting you don't see PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma State, etc. Looks like a kid trying to find his own path.

Another reason to like him even more.  I hope he sees what the Badger program is trying to build and wants to be part of something special.  I love how people are replying to his twitter post trying to showcase each of their schools. 

Don't forget that Reader went on a home visit to his house on July 9th and then was coaching him at the Cadet Worlds on July 16th.  He should have a great understanding of the Badger program, coaching philosophy, and training partners. 

Harris

It would be cool to get him to the Badger game tomorrow so he can see the atmosphere and excitement on game day.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Harris on September 03, 2021, 01:49:02 PM
It would be cool to get him to the Badger game tomorrow so he can see the atmosphere and excitement on game day.

+1

BuckyMatt

Quote from: dad 2 5 on September 03, 2021, 06:39:18 PM

+1

He announced his visit list and will be here Oct 2nd for the Michigan game!

Harris

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 03, 2021, 06:44:25 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on September 03, 2021, 06:39:18 PM

+1

He announced his visit list and will be here Oct 2nd for the Michigan game!

Even better. 

dad 2 5

Quote from: Harris on September 02, 2021, 09:25:59 PM
2022 InterMat College Rankings:

125 Eric Barnett #12
133 Kyle Burwick #16
141 Austin Gomez #14
174 Andrew McNally #11
184 Chris Weiler #19
285 Trent Hillger #6

17th as a team and that is with Amos not included yet. Where does he land? top 10? top 5? top 3? Ok TOM - #1! BABY!!!

Harris

Zargo at 141 and Gomez at 149 would be a salty lineup.  Personally, I think Zargo would have more success at this weight class this year if he doesn't red shirt.

Harris

Stole this from the other thread as well, "I could also see some combo of Barnett, Ethan, Burwick 125-141."  I like it.

wrastle63

Quote from: Harris on September 11, 2021, 03:46:35 PM
Stole this from the other thread as well, "I could also see some combo of Barnett, Ethan, Burwick 125-141."  I like it.
Rotondo has had some very good results. He just beat Zane Richards in freestyle 11-7. Zane was a 2 time AA in college and has some good results on the senior level.

Could also see a Barnett redshirt and let Rotondo use his year of eligibility. Then Barnett would have the same eligibility as Burwick and Otto with a couple seasons left. With the team we have this year it would be nice to put the best team we have possibly out, but would also be good to let Rotondo go. Think he could do real well at 125. 

mkm13

I think Rotundo is solid, but up at 141 might be a lot to ask...the big 10 is tough.  What is his ideal weight now?

Being a college AA is extremely tough. Barnett was able to last year, this year there will be more competition as teams like cornell are not out.  I would not be a fan of redshirting Barnett unless Rotundo is beating him.  There have been too many "wait until next year.  We need to wrestle our best guys.

Harris

Quote from: mkm13 on September 17, 2021, 10:34:28 AM
I think Rotundo is solid, but up at 141 might be a lot to ask...the big 10 is tough.  What is his ideal weight now?

Being a college AA is extremely tough. Barnett was able to last year, this year there will be more competition as teams like cornell are not out.  I would not be a fan of redshirting Barnett unless Rotundo is beating him.  There have been too many "wait until next year.  We need to wrestle our best guys.

I totally agree with your last sentence about wrestling our best guys.  My understanding was:

125 Barnett
133 Rotondo
141 Burwick
149 Gomez

This is a pretty good looking lineup.