Junior World Championships

Started by Harris, August 15, 2021, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Quote from: Harris on August 17, 2021, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: Harris on August 17, 2021, 10:39:00 AM
You don't see 5 point throws that much and Braxton bombs his guy with like 30 seconds left  :D

Scroll down on Pat Mineo's twitter feed to see the throw from 2 different angles.  You don't go upper body with a greco guy especially someone as good as Braxton!

https://twitter.com/MrPatMineo?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Thanks for the link - spectacular. Congrats to Amos and O'Toole!
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

vsmf2010

Quote from: Harris on August 17, 2021, 10:39:00 AM
You don't see 5 point throws that much and Braxton bombs his guy with like 30 seconds left  :D

I thought Dake bomb right away when I saw that. He is really the only other guy I have seen do that on a regular basis in top end freestyle. That was very explosive and impressive from Braxton. They were locked up quite a while and I think he showed great patience before hitting that. He was in a similar situation on the side of the mat in period 1 and made a bit of a mistake that lead to his opponents only 4 points. His opponent was quite tall which can lead to some difficulty in that situation. Great in match adjustment!

Harris

Kylie Welker is a beast. 

10-0 over Germany
11-0 over Russia
6-0 then pin over Belarus

In the finals against India.  Way to represent Kylie!

TomM

Keegan Otoole (USA) VSU Nurdaulet Kuanyshbay (KAZ) , 11-0 4:56
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Harris

Harris

Keegan's post match interview.  What a great young man.  Wisconsin is proud of you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5po9QlzExl8

Numbers

Any chance Keegan might wrestle 70 kg senior world team trials next month?

Love watching him scrap!

Harris

vsmf2010

Quote from: Numbers on August 18, 2021, 12:12:29 PM

Love watching him scrap!

Yikes that is a pretty big cut for a 165 college/74kg guy. If he could get down there and be strong and healthy that would be awesome but I do not see that happening.

Harris

Kylie Welker is the Junior World champion at 76Kg with a 10-0 victory over India.  Congratulations!  Unscored upon at the World Championship is quite an accomplishment.  She is an awesome wrestler.  Way to represent Wisconsin.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Harris on August 19, 2021, 09:56:35 AM
Kylie Welker is the Junior World champion at 76Kg with a 10-0 victory over India.  Congratulations!  Unscored upon at the World Championship is quite an accomplishment.  She is an awesome wrestler.  Way to represent Wisconsin.

Her opponents were completely overmatched. I see senior level world medals for her in the very near future. She is on quite a trajectory. Every time I watch her she seems like she has improved.

wrastle63

Quote from: vsmf2010 on August 19, 2021, 09:54:41 AM
Quote from: Numbers on August 18, 2021, 12:12:29 PM

Love watching him scrap!

Yikes that is a pretty big cut for a 165 college/74kg guy. If he could get down there and be strong and healthy that would be awesome but I do not see that happening.
He did wrestle 157 at the beginning of the college season. He could make it I believe, but when you look at 70 KG it is LOADED! Zain, JO, James Green, Pantaleo, Deakin, and I am sure I am missing guys.

Harris

Quote from: vsmf2010 on August 19, 2021, 10:19:06 AM
Quote from: Harris on August 19, 2021, 09:56:35 AM

Her opponents were completely overmatched. I see senior level world medals for her in the very near future. She is on quite a trajectory. Every time I watch her she seems like she has improved.

She was the Olympic Trials Alternate as a 17 year old Junior in high school and also won the Challenge Tournament.  That young lady can scrap with anyone. 

Harris

Kylie Welker Post Match Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cigc9p_ANg

She can't contain her excitement in this interview.  I love her enthusiasm. 

mkm13

197 has a chance to be a crazy weight class next year with a returning NCAA champ and 2 junior world freestyle champs (Ferrari, Braxton, and Elam).  In addition, you have Dean, Warner, Bonaccorsi, Darmstadt, etc.  Some serious talent Braxton will have to compete with.  197 went from a weaker weight to possibly the strongest.

Will be curious to see how he fits in and transitions to folkstyle at the highest level.