Junior World Championships

Started by Harris, August 15, 2021, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: Harris on August 16, 2021, 12:17:15 PM
Foam Thor hammers with Braxton head wrap towels!  The kids would love this.

In all seriousness, these are really good ideas. I do not have any relationships with anyone in the department right now or I would reach out to someone. I do not know who to contact but you should definitely gets these ideas out to someone.

wrastle63

Easy 2 dual promotions! What a start to his Junior world championships!

MakingABadgerer

Quote from: Harris on August 15, 2021, 08:38:59 PM
Day 1 Session 1
97 kg: Braxton Amos (Mineral Wells, W.V./Wisconsin RTC)
vs. Yunus Gafurov (Kazakhstan), Silver at 2018 Cadet Asian Championships

A.J. Ferrari (2021 NCAA Champ Oklahoma State) had an 8-2 win against Asian Cadet silver Yunus Gafurov of Kazakhstan at the 2018 Freestyle Cadet Worlds (Ferrari took Bronze)

So what you're saying is, Gafurov has been unfortunate to draw USA in the first round in both of his trips to the World Championships?
At least Braxton had the courtesy to make the finals and pull him back into the Repechage.

Numbers

Quote from: wrastle63 on August 16, 2021, 02:33:47 PM
Easy 2 dual promotions! What a start to his Junior world championships!
Hilger Hammers and Braxton Bandanas?

Harris

Quote from: Harris on August 16, 2021, 10:34:09 AM
Braxton Amos vs. Polat Polatci (Turkey) in the day 2 session which starts at 6:45 AM.  Polat had pins in his first 2 matches and then beat the Iranian 9-8 in the semifinals.  Polat is the 2021 European Junior Champion where he beat a Russian for Gold.  He wrestled  as a very young competitor at the Junior World Championships in 2019 and did not medal.

Another interesting fact is Polat Polatci is the son of 2005 World Champion and 2004 Olympic Bronze Medalist Aydin Polatci of Turkey.

Harris

Tomorrow Keegan O'Toole will make his Junior World debut in the 1AM prelim session.  I believe he should win his first match.

74 kg: Keegan O'Toole (Hartland, Wisc./Tiger Style WC)
vs. Balint Balazs (Hungary), Seventh at 2021 Junior European Championships

What is more interesting to me is his potential opponent in the quarterfinals.  He will probably wrestle Turan Bayramov from Azerbaijan.  Turan actually wrestled in the Tokyo Olympics as a 20 year old after Khadzhimurad Gadzhiyev had to withdraw after suffering a knee injury.  Turan won his first match at the Olympics against an Ukrainian opponent before falling to World Champion and 2016 Olympic Bronze medalist Frank Chamizo in a close 3-1 match.  Chamizo is the opponent Kyle Dake beat 5-0 for bronze at the 2020 Olympics. 

Turan was the 2021 Junior European Champion and the 2021 Senior European silver medalist losing 3-1 in the finals.  Turan was the 2019 U23 World Champion, 2018 Cadet World Champion, and 2018 Youth Olympic Champion.

This is an exciting potential matchup and one where Keegan can really make some noise on the international scene against an up and coming star.

Numbers

Quote from: Harris on August 16, 2021, 07:32:17 PM
Tomorrow Keegan O'Toole will make his Junior World debut in the 1AM prelim session.  I believe he should win his first match.

74 kg: Keegan O'Toole (Hartland, Wisc./Tiger Style WC)
vs. Balint Balazs (Hungary), Seventh at 2021 Junior European Championships

What is more interesting to me is his potential opponent in the quarterfinals.  He will probably wrestle Turan Bayramov from Azerbaijan.  Turan actually wrestled in the Tokyo Olympics as a 20 year old after Khadzhimurad Gadzhiyev had to withdraw after suffering a knee injury.  Turan won his first match at the Olympics against an Ukrainian opponent before falling to World Champion and 2016 Olympic Bronze medalist Frank Chamizo in a close 3-1 match.  Chamizo is the opponent Kyle Dake beat 5-0 for bronze at the 2020 Olympics. 

Turan was the 2021 Junior European Champion and the 2021 Senior European silver medalist losing 3-1 in the finals.  Turan was the 2019 U23 World Champion, 2018 Cadet World Champion, and 2018 Youth Olympic Champion.

This is an exciting potential matchup and one where Keegan can really make some noise on the international scene against an up and coming star.
4 AM in Wisconsin.  Anyone hear that noise? 

Harris

What a session by O'Toole!  He was down 5-3 to Turan and pinned him at 4:47 and then was down 10-9 in the semi's to the Russian and pinned him at 4:54.  Wow.

wrastle63

Quote from: Harris on August 17, 2021, 07:53:14 AM
What a session by O'Toole!  He was down 5-3 to Turan and pinned him at 4:47 and then was down 10-9 in the semi's to the Russian and pinned him at 4:54.  Wow.
2 cradles!

Steve_L

He was down 10-1 I believe at one point. For sure it was 10-3.

Harris

Braxton Amos - Freestyle Junior World Champion!

TomM

Braxton Amos (USA) VPO1 Polat Polatci (TUR) , 11-4

I kind of thought Polatci would be put on the clock period 1. Maybe that's only if there is no scoring taking place?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Harris

You don't see 5 point throws that much and Braxton bombs his guy with like 30 seconds left  :D

Harris

Quote from: Harris on August 17, 2021, 10:39:00 AM
You don't see 5 point throws that much and Braxton bombs his guy with like 30 seconds left  :D

Scroll down on Pat Mineo's twitter feed to see the throw from 2 different angles.  You don't go upper body with a greco guy especially someone as good as Braxton!

https://twitter.com/MrPatMineo?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor