Author Topic: WIAA board of control approves La Crosse Center for state girls wrestling  (Read 2716 times)

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Wisconsin Wrestling Online
Some positives:
As currently planned:
- Every girl is able to be entered in the 2022 WIAA State Tournament at La Crosse. No Qualifier(s) i.e. Regionals or Sectionls.
- The girls will be center stage the entire event.
- The WIAA is spending money to provide a great venue for the event. The Civic Center is not free (I assume).
- Female team members WILL be able to participate in their teams Conference Tournament (if it is not the same day as the WIAA Girls State event).
- Girls may wrestle for their team in the Team Sectional (if the team qualifies.
- The girls event should have a good set of officials. Adding mats and competition to the Kohl Center translates to requiring more high quality, qualified officials. The State is short on those right now.

-There are no WIAA sports where girls may may compete in the boys and girls regionals.
-The number of girls who may be 'out for wrestling' in 2021-2022 is uncertain.

Quack,
Where is your information coming from? Who is your source? I've not heard some of the items you mention.
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Offline dman

• Money
Man...some people will never be satisfied...

Offline littleguy301

• Comfortably Numb
Tom.......you asking questions.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:13:13 PM by littleguy301 »
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Offline littleguy301

• Comfortably Numb
My main concern is finding coaches for these young ladies. If you look on this forum there has been alot of coaching openings for high school teams. Hard enough to find high school coaches now finding ladies only coaches could be a problem also. Just my 2 cents though.

Offline Quack

• Us and Them
Tom which ones are you questioning?
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

Wisconsin Wrestling Online

Offline bigoil

• Comfortably Numb
Pretty awesome that we have a Girls state tournament. Way to go WWCA.

Let it happen, see if we can improve upon it.

Girls basketball was moved to Green Bay, many were pissed, now they love it.

Golf is in the Dells
CC is in Rapids
Soccer is in Milwaukee

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Wisconsin Wrestling Online
Another positive thought:
 The parents will probably have no problem getting tickets to see their daughter's wrestle in La Crosse Center.  With the way the Kohl Center tickets are usually sold out it might be difficult for a whole new division of kids parents to be able to get tickets.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 09:39:03 PM by TomM »
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Offline dman

• Money
How many times do coaches have to split up for JV tournaments being the same weekend as a Varsity tournament??  Why would this be any different??

Offline Quack

• Us and Them
Dman , send your varsity to a tournament and your girl/girls to State. Which one should the head coach go to? Is it right to send the girls with assistant coaches to something that is considered as important as the State Tournament? Or does the coach head to the Varsity tournament because that is what is expected? How many other tournaments are going on during the “Boy’s State”? Coaches may split up for matches if they have more than one going on at a time, but they are all there. Do you understand now?

Offline dman

• Money
Dman , send your varsity to a tournament and your girl/girls to State. Which one should the head coach go to? Is it right to send the girls with assistant coaches to something that is considered as important as the State Tournament? Or does the coach head to the Varsity tournament because that is what is expected? How many other tournaments are going on during the “Boy’s State”? Coaches may split up for matches if they have more than one going on at a time, but they are all there. Do you understand now?

My take...if you need to ask the question of where does the head coach go in the scenario you started off with then that says a lot about the coaches and the program.  Shouldn't even be a question as to where the head coach goes...why is it that difficult?

This is great news for the growth of girls wrestling in our state and should be celebrated as such. 

Offline Quack

• Us and Them
It would be great news if it were held with the boys and not a month earlier. But the people who haven’t been involved with women’s wrestling for a long time don’t understand that. The girls have had a State Tournament in conjunction with the JV tourney for a few years now. It is really treated like a weekend youth tournament. No championship parade, no announcements of championship matches. Unless you know what is going on, it is all the same. Then the WWF would hold one. Pretty much the same. They had it solo from anything else one year which was nice. But they also tend to lump it with another tourney which takes away from it being a special event for the girls. While it is nice that the WIAA seems to be recognizing them by holding a tourney for them. It is still a month early, and pushed out of the limelight. Maybe we should be thankful they at least get something. But like I said earlier, how many other tournaments are held on the weekend of “Boy State”? How do their own teammate come cheer them on if they have another school tournament schedule that they have to wrestle at? Is this really fair to the girls?

Offline dman

• Money
It would be great news if it were held with the boys and not a month earlier. But the people who haven’t been involved with women’s wrestling for a long time don’t understand that. The girls have had a State Tournament in conjunction with the JV tourney for a few years now. It is really treated like a weekend youth tournament. No championship parade, no announcements of championship matches. Unless you know what is going on, it is all the same. Then the WWF would hold one. Pretty much the same. They had it solo from anything else one year which was nice. But they also tend to lump it with another tourney which takes away from it being a special event for the girls. While it is nice that the WIAA seems to be recognizing them by holding a tourney for them. It is still a month early, and pushed out of the limelight. Maybe we should be thankful they at least get something. But like I said earlier, how many other tournaments are held on the weekend of “Boy State”? How do their own teammate come cheer them on if they have another school tournament schedule that they have to wrestle at? Is this really fair to the girls?

Quack...I think we are on the same side of this fight...I agree...the girls should get just as much fan fair as the boys, no doubt.  But, it takes time to get there, just as it did for the boys.  Keep up the good fight my man.

Offline littleguy301

• Comfortably Numb
How many times do coaches have to split up for JV tournaments being the same weekend as a Varsity tournament??  Why would this be any different??

Your right.

Just looking at the weekend that girls state is we have a varsity, jv and middle school tournament also on the same days and  different towns.

We do not have enough coaches on the paid staff to go to 4 tournaments to be honest so we will be having a non paid staff member driving a school vehicle if we have a girl go out and go to state.

Like I posted before finding enough coaches to go around maybe difficult for some schools. While I support womens wrestling there is going to be some issues.

Also I will ask you dman.....have you ever coached a girls sport being an adult Male. There are many things I. This day and age you must do. Not saying we have creeps as coaches but I made sure I was never alone with any girl at any time. Any of those private talks there was always a peer of the girl in attendance.

Like I have stated...I support female wrestling just I wonder if there is going to be enough coaches to make sure both boys and girls are given every chance to reach their goals and dreams.

Offline padre

• Brain Damage

Your right.

Just looking at the weekend that girls state is we have a varsity, jv and middle school tournament also on the same days and  different towns.

We do not have enough coaches on the paid staff to go to 4 tournaments to be honest so we will be having a non paid staff member driving a school vehicle if we have a girl go out and go to state.

Like I posted before finding enough coaches to go around maybe difficult for some schools. While I support womens wrestling there is going to be some issues.

Also I will ask you dman.....have you ever coached a girls sport being an adult Male. There are many things I. This day and age you must do. Not saying we have creeps as coaches but I made sure I was never alone with any girl at any time. Any of those private talks there was always a peer of the girl in attendance.

Like I have stated...I support female wrestling just I wonder if there is going to be enough coaches to make sure both boys and girls are given every chance to reach their goals and dreams.

As a head coach I would definitely be going to the girls state tournament.  We also have a tournament that weekend but no doubt I’d make it work.  With the new 14 dates rule there will be many more teams over the next few years wrestling that weekend.  Hopefully things will change down the road as far as dates and how it’s done. 

Quack has been in this fight for a long time.  I’m really happy we are coming around to representing the girls well and hoping there are good numbers ahead....but it’s not going to happen overnight.  With the pandemic year there are so many unknowns out there.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:21:45 AM by padre »

Offline littleguy301

• Comfortably Numb

Your right.

As a head coach I would definitely be going to the girls state tournament.  We also have a tournament that weekend but no doubt I’d make it work.  With the new 14 dates rule there will be many more teams over the next few years wrestling that weekend.  Hopefully things will change down the road as far as dates and how it’s done. 

Quack has been in this fight for a long time.  I’m really happy we are coming around to representing the girls well and hoping there are good numbers ahead....but it’s not going to happen overnight.  With the pandemic year there are so many unknowns out there.

I agree with you and whether it is me or another coach, some one would be going to state.

Just trying to point out some issues with schools and coaching that might arise with few coaches on staff and school rules.