Scholarship issues in the free year

Started by coconut joe, May 09, 2021, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coconut joe

from CurtisLoew40 on the Hawkeye Report...

"Not a Bono recruit and with the way Wisconsin screwed up last season not having money for him or Amos in a free freakin year is unbelievable. They were the only team that managed to screw that up. Now just wish that Amos would transfer. Hamiti should have no problem cracking the lineup next year."

Does anyone know about this? i always found it strange that Wick and Amos didn't wrestle in a free year.

and before anyone asks...yes, CurtisLoew40 is obviously a reliable source.

Harris

If someone says they are not going to wrestle and then the coach gives the scholarship to another athlete, what do you want the coach to do, take the scholarship back?

I guess you could argue they should not have given the scholarship money to another athlete to begin with but from my understanding the athlete said they did not want to wrestle during the covid shortened season because it might end up shutting down again.  At that point, the coach is trying to fill their roster.  No one knew that the NCAA would say it is a free year.  This is a tough one to pin on the coach.  I read the Hawkeye Report everyday and none of them are a fan of Bono considering he wrestled for Iowa State.  I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

hammer

Can not blame Bono for wrestlers saying they are taking the year off and then changing their minds. The program is a business and has to be run as best as it can. The wrestlers made a choice and have to live with that choice. Not sure what changed for Wick in the past months. In my circle I heard he wasn't coming back, then he was coming back and now he is not. Hope Wick finds what he is looking for. While Bono seems not to be interested in Wisconsin high school wrestling, I think he is the right guy for the job.

MakingABadgerer

I haven't read or seen anywhere that Wick or Amos changed their minds and asked for money back?  Both performed well at Trials.  Multiple freshmen took a gap year.  I think (hope) we will see it pay off.