Started by TomM, May 18, 2021, 10:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MNbadger

If we are honest in regard to our sport, we could fix a great deal by simply not allowing parents anywhere near the competition areas.  I know some tournaments do this but I think in general we don't do it enough. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Handles II

Quote from: MNbadger on May 19, 2021, 08:18:46 AM
If we are honest in regard to our sport, we could fix a great deal by simply not allowing parents anywhere near the competition areas.  I know some tournaments do this but I think in general we don't do it enough.
This has been said by many for the past 20 years but ignored. Now we have a major shortage in our sport and others. Coincidence or causation?

padre

I umpire quite a bit all summer.  No doubt there are times when parents and coaches are way over the top.  I've brought all three of my sons to partner with me at tournaments and none want any part in continuing.  If you run a tight ship and have thick skin you can get through it but most don't have all of these qualities...and while they are young they are still very unsure of themselves.

Another issue is pay.  It's just simply not worth it many times unless you are doing it for the love of the sport.  Schools are going to have to figure out a way to upgrade the pay if you want someone driving a long way to get to these events.  More pay will keep more people.  Summer tournaments are upping there's all the time to get qualified people.