Author Topic: Evan Wick in transfer portal..  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Handles II

• Brain Damage
Re: Evan Wick in transfer portal..
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »
Just think back to what it might have been like if this had happened and Barry was still Head Coach!
Tom would be REALLY busy.

And when that did happen with Barry quite often towards the end, he did not bring in the following:

brown, Moran, gross, weiler, Johnny, McNally

And when Barry landed the #1 recruit in the nation, Barry’s guy didn’t show up. Amos is part of the RTC and repping UW.

First, the transfer portal and associated rules were not in place when Davis was the coach. Second, Davis was only the second coach in UW history to bring home NCAA hardware. So, Davis is not without his accomplishments. The point being made is that Davis would have faced a lot of criticism for a guy like Wick transferring out (as he did when Howe and Rutt left). Thus far, the posters on the forum are not up-in-arms about it (good - s#@$ happens). The original point being made here is that Davis was not being judged by the same standards as those applied to Bono. I get it, and am not too concerned with all of this, but just sayin' expectations and tolerances are now different.

Agreed. Why anyone would drag Barry Davis into this discussion is beyond me. It has nothing to do with him. Bono is the hetman of the program now and he's the one being evaluated when it comes to the roster, which once again, as typical of this program since probably its inception, can never get all the pieces in place at the same time for success. It just never happens and its obvious doesn't matter who the coach is because the same Dang thing happens every time.

You know, at the heart level I imagine that BD is still an Iowa guy. It's where he's from, it's where he competed and graduated from, it's where he started coaching under Gable. I  would love to hear him on a podcast or in an article, given his experience, just compare the two schools' programs and point out the reasons why one succeeds and the other just can't reach the same level. I think it would be very interesting and eye-opening for UW fans to really know the truth as to where the program truly stands in the world of college wrestling and why it has trouble either keeping wrestlers like Wick or why many wrestlers at Wisconsin just can't break through to the highest level of individual or team success. I think he would give a good assessment of the situation.
I think it was Troy Steiner who said "We outwork our opponents. That's our secret. That's why we win."  Didn't Bono have several wrestlers bail when he came here and said there was going to be a culture change? Early morning practices, no drinking and such?
In NCAA history, there's been very few teams to breakthrough, Iowa, Penn St. Ok St. OK, MN, Ia St, Mi,Ohio St. Those are pretty much the ones that have rounded out the top 4-5 places most years. It's a select group. And being such, they get the lion's share of top recruits and transfers. It's pretty much like the financial world. Once wealth is attained it's easier to get what you want.
Why don't mass murders use other guns, weapons or household objects as often as they do semi-auto handguns and assault rifles?
They can kill more people in a shorter amount of time.Grappler 200  "I posted the father and the others who did nothing to stop this are negligent period end of story."Ram

Offline MNbadger

• Brain Damage
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2021, 10:28:27 AM »
I agree with very much of what you say.  In fact, many of your points prove the irrationality of the attacks on Barry from his tenure as Head Coach.
Getting to the top is tough, staying there is tough and both take luck among other things.  Your points about programs and hurdles are all accurate.  Regardless of that though is that if this were Barry, he would have been eviscerated for this occurring on his watch.  In fact he was for lesser things repeatedly, things out of his control. 
Why did I bring it up?  I guess because of all the debate that went on during Barry's time coaching.  His detractors attacking him sometimes justly, often times not so justly.  And if anyone on here claims that this board would not have been screaming for his ouster had he been in this same situation, they are either lying or in denial.
I think the Badgers are doing ok.  Again, this makes my point when I supported Barry against the crazy attacks. They have a good bunch of wrestlers, high level recruits coming in.  As you get better, it gets tougher to make each step. 
We get frustrated in MN too when we are not in the top 3-5.   
Just think back to what it might have been like if this had happened and Barry was still Head Coach!

And when that did happen with Barry quite often towards the end, he did not bring in the following:

And when Barry landed the #1 recruit in the nation, Barry’s guy didn’t show up. Amos is part of the RTC and repping UW.

First, the transfer portal and associated rules were not in place when Davis was the coach. Second, Davis was only the second coach in UW history to bring home NCAA hardware. So, Davis is not without his accomplishments. The point being made is that Davis would have faced a lot of criticism for a guy like Wick transferring out (as he did when Howe and Rutt left). Thus far, the posters on the forum are not up-in-arms about it (good - s#@$ happens). The original point being made here is that Davis was not being judged by the same standards as those applied to Bono. I get it, and am not too concerned with all of this, but just sayin' expectations and tolerances are now different.

Agreed. Why anyone would drag Barry Davis into this discussion is beyond me. It has nothing to do with him. Bono is the hetman of the program now and he's the one being evaluated when it comes to the roster, which once again, as typical of this program since probably its inception, can never get all the pieces in place at the same time for success. It just never happens and its obvious doesn't matter who the coach is because the same Dang thing happens every time.

You know, at the heart level I imagine that BD is still an Iowa guy. It's where he's from, it's where he competed and graduated from, it's where he started coaching under Gable. I  would love to hear him on a podcast or in an article, given his experience, just compare the two schools' programs and point out the reasons why one succeeds and the other just can't reach the same level. I think it would be very interesting and eye-opening for UW fans to really know the truth as to where the program truly stands in the world of college wrestling and why it has trouble either keeping wrestlers like Wick or why many wrestlers at Wisconsin just can't break through to the highest level of individual or team success. I think he would give a good assessment of the situation.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Offline bigoil

• Comfortably Numb
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »

how about giving Coach Bono a few years to see what he can do. He just brought in the number 1 kid in the nation, let's build around him. There is no doubt Iowa is special, as is PSU now with Cael. Cael wasn't lighting it up at ISU, do you think he all of a sudden became a better coach or recruiter? A huge difference is the HWC and now the NLWC and this is why Coach Bono has been front and center on the RTC. This is how we bring in additional coaches and athletes to train with our guys, in our room. Please consider giving to the RTC, now, annually, golf outing, etc. we are one community let's build it, not knock it.

Offline wrestlemania

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2021, 12:11:18 PM »
"I agree with very much of what you say.  In fact, many of your points prove the irrationality of the attacks on Barry from his tenure as Head Coach. Getting to the top is tough, staying there is tough and both take luck among other things.  Your points about programs and hurdles are all accurate.  Regardless of that though is that if this were Barry, he would have been eviscerated for this occurring on his watch.  In fact he was for lesser things repeatedly, things out of his control.  Why did I bring it up?  I guess because of all the debate that went on during Barry's time coaching.  His detractors attacking him sometimes justly, often times not so justly.  And if anyone on here claims that this board would not have been screaming for his ouster had he been in this same situation, they are either lying or in denial."

"First, the transfer portal and associated rules were not in place when Davis was the coach. Second, Davis was only the second coach in UW history to bring home NCAA hardware. So, Davis is not without his accomplishments. The point being made is that Davis would have faced a lot of criticism for a guy like Wick transferring out (as he did when Howe and Rutt left). Thus far, the posters on the forum are not up-in-arms about it (good - s#@$ happens). The original point being made here is that Davis was not being judged by the same standards as those applied to Bono. I get it, and am not too concerned with all of this, but just sayin' expectations and tolerances are now different."

I agree with both these statements and as I have said before, the level of vitriol directed at Davis from some fans considering his credentials as wrestler and coach was disgraceful and a black mark on the Wisconsin wrestling community. Not only that, but some of Davis' biggest detractors in this forum (eg.: Barou, Lizard King, Angry Fish, Jaguar Wrestler) have all but disappeared now that Davis is gone but the same problems which have hurt UW wrestling for years are still there and has been clearly demonstrated are seemingly oblivious to whomever the coach is and that's what's so frustrating for fans like myself who know the potential for a Top 5 program is there but hasn't been realized for a variety of factors that just have not been dealt with. Obviously if Wick loved the school and the program so much he wanted to finished what he started here, he would do so. He has chosen not to and Badger wrestling goes through the same cycle as before, nothing gets better.

But having said this, I want to make it clear I'm not going to be a Bono basher or demand he be fire or this or that, Because it's pointless.  There are systemic problems with UW wrestling that simply changing coaches won't fix by itself. I'm certainly not going to hang around an internet fan board just to bash the coach and leave when that coach finally leaves as my fun has been taken away from me (unlike some other fans). Maybe I'm wrong and the newcomers to the line-up will make such an impact that the loss of Wick won't turn out as bad as it looks now. But that's an awful lot to ask of a bunch of freshmen in the B1G and darn like it seems we've been singing the same song season after season. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 05:49:14 PM by wrestlemania »

Offline wrestlemania

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2021, 12:13:13 PM »
Because he's 22 years old?

Or he told Bono what he wanted to hear.

Wisconsin Wrestling Online

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2021, 12:13:13 PM »

Offline wrestlemania

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2021, 12:15:42 PM »

I think it was Troy Steiner who said "We outwork our opponents. That's our secret. That's why we win."  Didn't Bono have several wrestlers bail when he came here and said there was going to be a culture change? Early morning practices, no drinking and such?
In NCAA history, there's been very few teams to breakthrough, Iowa, Penn St. Ok St. OK, MN, Ia St, Mi,Ohio St. Those are pretty much the ones that have rounded out the top 4-5 places most years. It's a select group. And being such, they get the lion's share of top recruits and transfers. It's pretty much like the financial world. Once wealth is attained it's easier to get what you want.

Steiner's statement is only true if no one else works hard which I find hard to believe. More than likely is this last sentence: "It's pretty much like the financial world. Once wealth is attained it's easier to get what you want." that's the most accurate.

Offline npope

• Brain Damage
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
"I agree with very much of what you say.  In fact, many of your points prove the irrationality of the attacks on Barry from his tenure as Head Coach. Getting to the top is tough, staying there is tough and both take luck among other things.  Your points about programs and hurdles are all accurate.  Regardless of that though is that if this were Barry, he would have been eviscerated for this occurring on his watch.  In fact he was for lesser things repeatedly, things out of his control.  Why did I bring it up?  I guess because of all the debate that went on during Barry's time coaching.  His detractors attacking him sometimes justly, often times not so justly.  And if anyone on here claims that this board would not have been screaming for his ouster had he been in this same situation, they are either lying or in denial."

"First, the transfer portal and associated rules were not in place when Davis was the coach. Second, Davis was only the second coach in UW history to bring home NCAA hardware. So, Davis is not without his accomplishments. The point being made is that Davis would have faced a lot of criticism for a guy like Wick transferring out (as he did when Howe and Rutt left). Thus far, the posters on the forum are not up-in-arms about it (good - s#@$ happens). The original point being made here is that Davis was not being judged by the same standards as those applied to Bono. I get it, and am not too concerned with all of this, but just sayin' expectations and tolerances are now different."

I agree with both these statements and as I have said before, the level of vitriol directed at Davis from some fans considering his credentials as wrestler and coach was disgraceful and a black mark on the Wisconsin wrestling community. Not only that, but some of Davis' biggest detractors in this forum (eg.: Barou, Lizard King, Jaguar Wrestler) have all but disappeared now that Davis is gone but the same problems which have hurt UW wrestling for years are still there and has been clearly demonstrated are seemingly oblivious to whomever the coach is and that's what's so frustrating for fans like myself who know the potential for a Top 5 program is there but hasn't been realized for a variety of factors that just have not been dealt with. Obviously if Wick loved the school and the program so much he wanted to finished what he started here, he would do so. He has chosen not to and Badger wrestling goes through the same cycle as before, nothing gets better.

But having said this, I want to make it clear I'm not going to be a Bono basher or demand he be fire or this or that, Because it's pointless.  There are systemic problems with UW wrestling that simply changing coaches won't fix by itself. I'm certainly not going to hang around an internet fan board just to bash the coach and leave when that coach finally leaves as my fun has been taken away from me (unlike some other fans). Maybe I'm wrong and the newcomers to the line-up will make such an impact that the loss of Wick won't turn out as bad as it looks now. But that's an awful lot to ask of a bunch of freshmen in the B1G and darn like it seems we've been singing the same song season after season.

Since I have committed some commentary to this tangent, let me be clear in saying that I have nothing bad to say about Bono or where the program is currently at. Rather, my comment was more to say that I felt a number of posters treated Davis, if not unfairly, certainly harshly. That perspective casts no shadow on Bono and his current group but rather, he was just a point of comparison.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Offline MNbadger

• Brain Damage
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2021, 02:46:14 PM »
I was trying to make the same point.

I agree with both these statements and as I have said before, the level of vitriol directed at Davis from some fans considering his credentials as wrestler and coach was disgraceful and a black mark on the Wisconsin wrestling community. Not only that, but some of Davis' biggest detractors in this forum (eg.: Barou, Lizard King, Jaguar Wrestler) have all but disappeared now that Davis is gone but the same problems which have hurt UW wrestling for years are still there and has been clearly demonstrated are seemingly oblivious to whomever the coach is and that's what's so frustrating for fans like myself who know the potential for a Top 5 program is there but hasn't been realized for a variety of factors that just have not been dealt with. Obviously if Wick loved the school and the program so much he wanted to finished what he started here, he would do so. He has chosen not to and Badger wrestling goes through the same cycle as before, nothing gets better.

Since I have committed some commentary to this tangent, let me be clear in saying that I have nothing bad to say about Bono or where the program is currently at. Rather, my comment was more to say that I felt a number of posters treated Davis, if not unfairly, certainly harshly. That perspective casts no shadow on Bono and his current group but rather, he was just a point of comparison.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Offline BuckyMatt

• One of My Turns
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »

Great question, simple answer: RTC donations.  Iowa and Penn State have hundreds if not thousands of donors.  Wisconsin has dozens. 

Offline Harris

• Waiting for the Worms
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 11:19:53 AM »
Evan announced he is going to Cal Poly on the Flo Radio.

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 11:19:53 AM »

Offline vsmf2010

• Outside the Wall
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2021, 11:44:51 AM »

That is pretty cool. A chance to be close to home and to have a chance to pass on what he has learned to his brother. Good for him.

Offline dad 2 5

• Money
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »

That is pretty cool. A chance to be close to home and to have a chance to pass on what he has learned to his brother. Good for him.

Agree but the Badgers will miss him

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Wisconsin Wrestling Online
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Offline stbird

• One of My Turns
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 03:41:28 PM »
Evan on Flo said he and the coaches had a different view of how to get better in wrestling.

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 03:41:28 PM »

Offline npope

• Brain Damage
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2021, 06:20:40 PM »
Evan on Flo said he and the coaches had a different view of how to get better in wrestling.

It would be interesting to hear what those differences were. I can't believe Cal Poly would be a better place to "get better." Of course, his brother (and family) is there (closer), but that would almost seem like he is cashing it in on his efforts to be a national champ. Another major program (e.g. PSU) would have been the place for him to land if that were his short-term preeminent goal.

Was Evan simply hanging around Madison until Zander graduated?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2021, 06:20:40 PM »