Author Topic: Evan Wick in transfer portal..  (Read 4557 times)

Offline npope

• Brain Damage
Re: Evan Wick in transfer portal..
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 09:48:04 PM »
By the way BuckyMatt, you were the one that came on here about a week ago and said that Evan was coming back. What is going on behind the scenes that you felt strong enough to announce it and then this. Anything you can share?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Offline BuckyMatt

• One of My Turns
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 09:58:44 PM »
By the way BuckyMatt, you were the one that came on here about a week ago and said that Evan was coming back. What is going on behind the scenes that you felt strong enough to announce it and then this. Anything you can share?

It wasn’t a week ago, it was March 3rd. And my sources are solid  ;) They were confident in that proclamation March 3rd and this was a surprise. 

Offline npope

• Brain Damage
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 10:28:13 PM »

It wasn’t a week ago, it was March 3rd. And my sources are solid  ;) They were confident in that proclamation March 3rd and this was a surprise.

Thanks for the note. But it would seem that things are built on shifting sands in the collegiate wrestling world these days.

Nat Pope

Offline mkm13

• Waiting for the Worms
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 10:39:50 PM »
 Obviously losing Wick sucks and not ideal.  BuckyMatt is one of the biggest supporters of the RTC, so ill give him a pass for an incorrect statement, things change.

Hopefully Hamiti is ready for prime time and Bono can bring in another transfer (Gomez or similar). Scholarship money is available.

Offline Brncrzy189

• Speak to Me
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 03:09:42 AM »
Obviously losing Wick sucks and not ideal.  BuckyMatt is one of the biggest supporters of the RTC, so ill give him a pass for an incorrect statement, things change.

Hopefully Hamiti is ready for prime time and Bono can bring in another transfer (Gomez or similar). Scholarship money is available.

Imagine propping BuckyMatt up as a big donor when every donation he's made is out of profit. What did he do before the partnership? Dude is an unhealthy skinny dork. And now he got running his mouth. Get lost.

Wisconsin Wrestling Online

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 03:09:42 AM »

Offline bigoil

• Comfortably Numb
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 07:41:08 AM »

Imagine propping BuckyMatt up as a big donor when every donation he's made is out of profit. What did he do before the partnership? Dude is an unhealthy skinny dork. And now he got running his mouth. Get lost.
Who are you anonymous hater with 6 posts? How much money have you given?

Matt gives money from profits he makes. He has no partnership, he could stop giving anytime he wants. He also gives his time, how much time have you given?

Get lost!

Offline npope

• Brain Damage
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 07:46:59 AM »

A personal attack that certainly is not warranted nor called for. Just cheap.

Nat Pope

Offline tigerking

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 11:07:55 AM »
Just think back to what it might have been like if this had happened and Barry was still Head Coach!
Tom would be REALLY busy.

And when that did happen with Barry quite often towards the end, he did not bring in the following:

brown, Moran, gross, weiler, Johnny, McNally

And when Barry landed the #1 recruit in the nation, Barry’s guy didn’t show up. Amos is part of the RTC and repping UW.

First, the transfer portal and associated rules were not in place when Davis was the coach. Second, Davis was only the second coach in UW history to bring home NCAA hardware. So, Davis is not without his accomplishments. The point being made is that Davis would have faced a lot of criticism for a guy like Wick transferring out (as he did when Howe and Rutt left). Thus far, the posters on the forum are not up-in-arms about it (good - s#@$ happens). The original point being made here is that Davis was not being judged by the same standards as those applied to Bono. I get it, and am not too concerned with all of this, but just sayin' expectations and tolerances are now different.

Fire Bono!!!

Does that show the appropriate tolerance??

It sucks, what more can we say! It’s happening to every program (Penn State!)

*Davis was the second coach to bring home a ncaa trophy. Bono had his team ranked #4 in the country (and likely to get a trophy) in ONLY his second year.  I have a feeling (and people like Tigerking can save this quote) that they get a trophy this year even without Evan!

I had a few people tell me a few months ago that they thought Wick was not coming back. I think they could get a trophy, but Evan was going to be one of the BIG points scorers for this team. The drop off from Wick to whoever the Badgers put into the line up could be steep. It is going to be hard to project how everyone finishes next year will all of the IVY wrestlers returning and not knowing who will take advantage of the free year.

Offline BuckyMatt

• One of My Turns
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 11:39:09 AM »

Real tough to run your mouth when everyone knows who I am but you are too cowardly to post your name behind your comments.

Anyone know where Askren got his “curly headed Fu$k” T-shirts made? I need to get a “Unhealthy skinny Dork” shirt made!!

Matt Deadman
608-770-3333
matt@mattdeadmanhomes.com

Offline shakerag

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »
Just think back to what it might have been like if this had happened and Barry was still Head Coach!

And when that did happen with Barry quite often towards the end, he did not bring in the following:

And when Barry landed the #1 recruit in the nation, Barry’s guy didn’t show up. Amos is part of the RTC and repping UW.

First, the transfer portal and associated rules were not in place when Davis was the coach. Second, Davis was only the second coach in UW history to bring home NCAA hardware. So, Davis is not without his accomplishments. The point being made is that Davis would have faced a lot of criticism for a guy like Wick transferring out (as he did when Howe and Rutt left). Thus far, the posters on the forum are not up-in-arms about it (good - s#@$ happens). The original point being made here is that Davis was not being judged by the same standards as those applied to Bono. I get it, and am not too concerned with all of this, but just sayin' expectations and tolerances are now different.

Fire Bono!!!

Does that show the appropriate tolerance??

It sucks, what more can we say! It’s happening to every program (Penn State!)

*Davis was the second coach to bring home a ncaa trophy. Bono had his team ranked #4 in the country (and likely to get a trophy) in ONLY his second year.  I have a feeling (and people like Tigerking can save this quote) that they get a trophy this year even without Evan!

I had a few people tell me a few months ago that they thought Wick was not coming back. I think they could get a trophy, but Evan was going to be one of the BIG points scorers for this team. The drop off from Wick to whoever the Badgers put into the line up could be steep. It is going to be hard to project how everyone finishes next year will all of the IVY wrestlers returning and not knowing who will take advantage of the free year.

I had been hearing the same thing for several months now.  This was no surprise in my circle.

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »

Offline Harris

• Waiting for the Worms
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 12:00:59 PM »
For every great transfer the Badgers have picked up there is another fan base feeling bummed out they are losing a great wrestler.  The Badgers have cherry picked quite a few good wrestlers over the past few years from other programs.  Losing Wick hurts but the transfer portal has really changed the way college wrestling is evolving whether you like it or not. I am pretty sure South Dakota State wasn't real happy when Seth Gross decided to wrestle his last year in Madison.

I will still support Evan Wick no matter where he ends up.  He is a great leader, a great wrestler and a great person.  He will be missed.  He was not a Bono recruit so it makes sense he might move on.  Next man up.  There is really no reason to start a forum battle over this.  It happens all the time to even the best programs including Penn State and Iowa.  It sucks but it is the reality of the sport right now.

Offline hammer

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2021, 03:04:36 PM »
The transfer portal has changed the entire scene of college wrestling and recruiting. In the long run how much is it going to hurt high school kids and recruiting? Now with the 9.9 scholarships how many are going to be kept for transfers? Or inshould say a % of scholarships for transfers. This is going to be interesting for sure to see kids go from one school to the next yearly.

Offline wrestlemania

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2021, 12:47:09 AM »
I feared this too and largely for the same reason (joining his brother in California) but didn't he say in a podcast a few months ago he was coming back, presumably knowing his brother was signing with a school in Cali? Anyone know why he changed his mind?

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Wisconsin Wrestling Online
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 01:00:01 AM »
Because he's 22 years old?
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 01:00:01 AM »

Offline wrestlemania

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 01:03:21 AM »

Agreed. Why anyone would drag Barry Davis into this discussion is beyond me. It has nothing to do with him. Bono is the hetman of the program now and he's the one being evaluated when it comes to the roster, which once again, as typical of this program since probably its inception, can never get all the pieces in place at the same time for success. It just never happens and its obvious doesn't matter who the coach is because the same Dang thing happens every time.

You know, at the heart level I imagine that BD is still an Iowa guy. It's where he's from, it's where he competed and graduated from, it's where he started coaching under Gable. I  would love to hear him on a podcast or in an article, given his experience, just compare the two schools' programs and point out the reasons why one succeeds and the other just can't reach the same level. I think it would be very interesting and eye-opening for UW fans to really know the truth as to where the program truly stands in the world of college wrestling and why it has trouble either keeping wrestlers like Wick or why many wrestlers at Wisconsin just can't break through to the highest level of individual or team success. I think he would give a good assessment of the situation.

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 01:03:21 AM »