New changes in the WIAA.

Started by hammer, April 25, 2021, 06:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

I have been hearing that the coaches say down with Wade and this is going to the board of control and possibility the big meeting in June. 16 events instead of the 7 and 7 with a match count of 50 before regionals. Also seeding the state tournament is on the docket. I havent heard any chatter about this on the forum so is it just idle talk and dreams or is this really something that is being looked at?

Ghetto

I am hoping to get rid of the 7/7 rule. That would be spectacular. Whatever the amount of events, this would be a nice improvement.

Seeding the state tournament would also be nice.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ET1251997-01

If the coaches association pushes for change they can get it. A few years ago boys and girls basketball coaches pushed for adding two more games. No reason wrestling cannot have a few more matches or change the 7-7 setup. Be a United front and present what you want. Be sure to tell your AD how to vote on the issue.

littleguy301

I have heard this also so is it going to happen?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Preparewrestlingcoach

I am not sure I read that correctly you are saying that we would then be wide open to wrestle 70 matches if we feel fit or that you can do your events however you want, but that you cannot have more than 50 prior to regionals?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Coach V

16 events to schedule how you want.
No more than 50 matches going into Regionals.

Both will need to be followed if they pass it the way it was recommended to them.

V
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

DocWrestling

I think adding the events can be a positive for teams to use how they want to generate excitement.  Adding duals for the top teams against other top teams out of conference could create some nice crowds and excitement.  Lesser programs can add out of conference quadrangulars to get matches.  Also allows teams to maybe have more home events in front of their fans and students.

I see more events like that being added rather than more Saturday tournaments.   
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Numbers

Maybe the days wrestlers have to monitor weight for 1 match (or a forfeit) will be reduced.

That might be the change wrestlers will appreciate the most!

SP

16 dates and 50 matches by regionals is not a good idea. The slow death of wrestling continues.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

Coach V

You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

DocWrestling

Quote from: SP on April 29, 2021, 07:23:31 AM
16 dates and 50 matches by regionals is not a good idea. The slow death of wrestling continues.

This gives coaches and wrestlers a lot of options to manage THEIR programs and THEIR individual wrestlers.

I truly hope not every program feels the need to use all 16 events.  At least not for every wrestler.  But it does allow the diehard wrestler to wrestle a ton and challenge themselves possibly more as long as everything is managed for the seasonal wrestler.

There is nothing wrong with one varsity wrestler having 50 matches and another 30.  Give wrestlers time off that want it. 

If I was coach I could now use a holiday tournament as an "event" but only take those wrestlers that want to go.  Others might want a winter break.  Maybe the two additional events on the schedule are really only for the top 5 wrestlers on the team that can't get enough wrestling.  Instead of feeling the need to go to 7 Saturday tournaments to get matches I could replace a tournament with two weekday duals or quadrangulars and free up weekends and get same amount of matches.

Lots of opportunities to manage your schedule for your team or individuals. 

dforsythe

Quote from: SP on April 29, 2021, 07:23:31 AM

I agree

MNbadger

Interesting to see the different viewpoints.  We are at 16 dates.  We used to be 18 dates, 36 matches max before sections.  I much preferred 18 dates.  It allowed more teams to have tournaments(fund raising).  Fewer dats(going to 16 as we have) made for more tris and quads which I hate.  It makes for too late school nights.  It is also very difficult for us to host quads as we don't have the numbers to move mats.  A good system for strong programs but not good for growing the sport.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

DocWrestling

A coach does not have to use all 16 events for his team and certainly not for every athlete.   Many other programs in other sports do not play the maximum number of games for many different reasons.

If I was building a program I would shoot for 35 matches before regionals.  If I had a stud that wanted to wrestle more then I would make his dad a volunteer assistant coach and he could take his son to a tournament for one of the "team" events.

Only real problem is tournament directors knowing how many teams to invite etc, which is why I think a couple "open" tournaments would be good throughout the year.

digimon

Doc makes a good point. Tournament directors and programs that host tournaments are looking for full teams to compete to fill those brackets. Sending only 3-5 of your top wrestlers makes it difficult for tournament hosts to know how many teams to invite to fill that 16 or 32 man bracket.