Wrestling Rules changes from the April NFHS meeting

Started by TomM, April 20, 2021, 11:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wis-Mallard

Having 90, 96, 102, 108 would be great for small kids and would have small but fair brackets at tournaments. It would create a lot of forfeits in duals. I see your points, but where do you draw the line on number of small weights?

MNbadger

The lines should be drawn here, where the kids are.....:
https://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set1clinical/cj41l021.pdf
This has been my point since the thread started down this road.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Tims

MnBadger I hear what you are saying.  I agree we keep expanding the lower weights and making it harder for Smaller wrestlers to be competitive at the Varsity lvl.  I had 2 small freshman sons. I remember the Frustrations they had when at the end of the year everyone got the 2 pounds then 3 a state?  Our team last year had a 75 pound Freshman and another one that was 105?   Cale Benitz started for us his Freshman year and was 90?

Personally I would like Wisconsin to adopt a more strict weight loss management program.  Making wrestlers actually make the scratch weight in Jan. If they don't they don't get the additional pounds!

Wis-Mallard

I really don't like the jump from 170 to 190 in the 12 weight option. We will have 2 really good kids at 182 next year. A senior and a junior. I think the 14 weight option is best for tournaments. You guys have light guy examples while others have 150-190 issues where juniors and seniors quit since they can't make the team.

wrastle63

Quote from: Wis-Mallard on May 04, 2021, 08:33:06 PM
I really don't like the jump from 170 to 190 in the 12 weight option. We will have 2 really good kids at 182 next year. A senior and a junior. I think the 14 weight option is best for tournaments. You guys have light guy examples while others have 150-190 issues where juniors and seniors quit since they can't make the team.
I'd much rather do 12 for duals and keep 14 for tournaments.