68 Badgers Named to Winter Academic All-Big Ten Team

Started by TomM, April 14, 2021, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

68 Badgers Named to Winter Academic All-Big Ten Team

Ten Badger wrestlers named to team.

Devin Bahr, RS-Jr., Rehabilitation Psychology, La Crosse, Wis.

Eric Barnett, So., Personal Finance, Greenville, Wis.

Kyle Burwick, RS-Fr., Physical Education, Hettinger, N.D.

Dominic Dentino, RS-So., Biology, Brookfield, Wis.

Trey Escobar, RS-Fr., Art, Peoria, Ariz.

Jared Krattiger, RS-So., Rehabilitation Psychology & Health Promotion and Health Equity, Waterford, Wis.

Joshua Otto, RS-Fr., Personal Finance, Brookfield, Wis.

Drew Scharenbrock, RS-So., Data Science & Computer Sciences, Sun Prairie, Wis.

Dan Stilling, So., Undeclared, Elkhorn, Wis.

Seth Vosters, RS-Sr., Psychology, Freedom, Wis.

https://www.onfocus.news/68-badgers-named-to-winter-academic-all-big-ten-team/
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MNbadger

Bummer that there are no Education Majors in the group.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

matrat86

Quote from: MNbadger on April 14, 2021, 10:09:30 PM
Bummer that there are no Education Majors in the group.

Kyle Burwick looks like he is a physical education major.

MNbadger

Yes, I saw that but is he a teaching  major?  It depends, the PE Major can be just that, not teaching.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

dman

Please enlighten us as to what a Physical Education teacher would do besides teach??   ::)

MNbadger

Quote from: dman on April 16, 2021, 07:32:20 AM
Please enlighten us as to what a Physical Education teacher would do besides teach??   ::)

Well quite a number of things actually.
https://guide.wisc.edu/undergraduate/education/kinesiology/physical-education-bs/

Program alumni are well represented in the areas of coaching and officiating, recreation, fitness, healthcare, and sport management. 

dman

::)  Most people go into physical education to be a teacher...that isn't even debatable.  The article even says that.  And just like the article says, people can do different things with their phys ed degree...just as I have a degree in Biology but work in Insurance.

By the way, there are more jobs out there that are just as important as teaching.

MNbadger

Actually I would bet that most PE graduates don't teach.  Most are in other fields just as you are in a different field from what your degree is in.  I went to college with many PE majors who had zero intention of teaching.  That was years ago of course but likely even fewer are now as overall fewer and fewer are going into the field of education. 
I never said other jobs were not important as teaching.......My reason for posting in the first place is in regard to the on again off again discussion we have on here about issues in recruiting wrestling coaches. 
Quote from: dman on April 17, 2021, 07:21:27 AM
::)  Most people go into physical education to be a teacher...that isn't even debatable.  The article even says that.  And just like the article says, people can do different things with their phys ed degree...just as I have a degree in Biology but work in Insurance.

By the way, there are more jobs out there that are just as important as teaching.

Ghetto

Congrats to those guys. So tough to be a Big Ten athlete and still keep your GPA high.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on April 17, 2021, 08:21:05 AM
Actually I would bet that most PE graduates don't teach.  Most are in other fields just as you are in a different field from what your degree is in.  I went to college with many PE majors who had zero intention of teaching.  That was years ago of course but likely even fewer are now as overall fewer and fewer are going into the field of education. 
I never said other jobs were not important as teaching.......My reason for posting in the first place is in regard to the on again off again discussion we have on here about issues in recruiting wrestling coaches. 

Based on your expertise in math and understanding of dual point swings and betting past that Sparks(who went 0-2 at NCAAs) could beat Wick(who just went 4-2 at Olympic Trials).  I'll disagree and put my money that most phy Ed majors teach phy Ed. Lol Good try though. Or maybe your just being really obtuse.... 😂

MNbadger

You seem like an angry person, still hanging on to the old post where I demonstrated that you were incorrect(the point swing stuff).  And in fact after seeing Weiler's performance I was right about that......
In regard to Sparks you should know his knee was injured in the Big Ten tourney and is having reconstructive surgery....
The number of PE majors in other fields is huge.  In fact, many people carry degrees in fields different from their careers, something I pointed out in an earlier post. 
An interesting article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/05/20/only-27-percent-of-college-grads-have-a-job-related-to-their-major/
Quote from: wrastle63 on April 19, 2021, 06:47:29 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on April 17, 2021, 08:21:05 AM

Based on your expertise in math and understanding of dual point swings and betting past that Sparks(who went 0-2 at NCAAs) could beat Wick(who just went 4-2 at Olympic Trials).  I'll disagree and put my money that most phy Ed majors teach phy Ed. Lol Good try though. Or maybe your just being really obtuse.... 😂

Ghetto

Can we just keep it to a congratulations thread?

PE, Biology and Art majors could all end up being teachers. Or maybe they won't be. either way, these young men were academic All- Big Ten. It's a big deal. We don't have to pollute it with other garbage.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

MNbadger

I will happily refrain .  I just commented on the lack of potential coaching candidates.  Did not realize it would be perceived as toxic or garbage.  I will not comment again on this thread. quote author=Ghetto link=topic=57405.msg663745#msg663745 date=1618850620]
Can we just keep it to a congratulations thread?

PE, Biology and Art majors could all end up being teachers. Or maybe they won't be. either way, these young men were academic All- Big Ten. It's a big deal. We don't have to pollute it with other garbage.
[/quote]

vsmf2010

Quote from: MNbadger on April 19, 2021, 12:53:41 PM
I will happily refrain .  I just commented on the lack of potential coaching candidates.  Did not realize it would be perceived as toxic or garbage.  I will not comment again on this thread. quote

Just to clarify, not all coaches are teachers. I was a volunteer, assistant and co-head coach and I am not a teacher. The coach I co coached with was not a teacher. I have coached with about 20 other HS coaches across several seasons at the HS level and there was only 3 teachers. 1 Head coach and 2 volunteers.

None of my head coaches or assistants when I was in HS back in the 80's were teachers. The head coach I had for 3 years in HS in in the Wisconsin Hall of Fame and he is not a teacher.

Just sayin...

MakingABadgerer

What's the total cost of a UW education?  Betting that the vast majority of our guys are taking on student loans.  Not looking to start a political discussion but is it financially feasible to go to UW Madison to be a teacher?

More importantly, great job being Academic All Big Ten!