Krattiger?

Started by 1Iota, March 22, 2021, 01:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunatic Fringe

While I do try to look on the bright side and I can understand why people are trying to make a positive out of losing him.  The thing that worries me more than losing specifically Krattiger has been Wisconsin's inability to fill a roster in the last few years. 

There are currently 24 guys on the WI roster (Including JK)

Nebraska 34
Penn State 33
Ohio State 33
Michigan 32
Iowa 32
Minnesota 32

Hopefully, they can sign some more WI guys to help fill the room.  (Tyler Goebel, Alec Hunter, John Gunderson, Jager Eisch, Luke Mechler)

wrastle63

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on March 24, 2021, 09:05:36 AM
While I do try to look on the bright side and I can understand why people are trying to make a positive out of losing him.  The thing that worries me more than losing specifically Krattiger has been Wisconsin's inability to fill a roster in the last few years. 

Nebraska 34
Penn State 33
Ohio State 33
Michigan 32
Iowa 32
Minnesota 32

Hopefully, they can sign some more WI guys to help fill the room.  (Tyler Goebel, Alec Hunter, John Gunderson, Jager Eisch, Luke Mechler)
He is going to Minnesota.

Lunatic Fringe

[/quote]

As soon as I saw that I remembered.

I miss the commitments page that Tom used to do.  Unfortunately, I don't think people would submit information.

asdf

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 24, 2021, 09:46:31 AM

Nebraska 34
Penn State 33
Ohio State 33
Michigan 32
Iowa 32
Minnesota 32

Goebel-UW-Lacrosse.  Hunter-UW-Parkside.

Handles II

Nebraska 34
Penn State 33
Ohio State 33
Michigan 32
Iowa 32
Minnesota 32

At least for a period of time during the Barry Davis years, the roster at UW was capped at 28. I think I remember Bono saying that they got it up to 30, but don't quote me on that. So we might not be able to get to the 32-34 that some of our competitors have even if we could get more walk-ons in the room.

npope

I'm not sure as to what competition opportunities present themselves for non-starters these days, but I suspect that might be a missing ingredient in the system these days. Way back when, the UW had a reserve-team comprised on non-starters that would wrestle state system schools in what amounted to exhibition duals. Additionally, there seemed to be more open meets during the season in which these non-starters could compete. As it stands these days, there's not a lot of reason for a non-starter to hang with the program if making the first team isn't in the cards. I think the system would be well-served to contemplate the needs/interests of the practice room students, as well.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigoil

Covid people.

Next year there will be a full 32 on the roster.

Lunatic Fringe

I did not know that Wisconsin had its own cap on the program.  I thought that the entire Big 10 had a cap of 35 guys.  So I did a little research. (All directly from the UW website)

Bono Years
2021: 24
2020: 25
2019: 22
Barry Years
2018: 28
2017: 31
2016: 30
2015: 32

I think it's up to the coaches to set up a decent schedule for the backups.  It seems like some programs their backups are getting 20-30 matches.  Michigan State Open, UNI Open, Iowa State Open, etc. Plus all of the open tournaments in our area.  Wisconsin Open @ Parkside, Concordia Open, Dan Gable Open, UW-EC Open, Loras Open, Dbq Open, etc.

Thanks for the updates on Hunter & Goebel. 

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: TomM on March 22, 2021, 11:10:27 PM
Jared's record included the following among his few (5?) losses in 2021:

#1 Seeded NCAA Runner-Up and #1 Ranked: Michael Kemmerer (Iowa)
#3 Seeded NCAA Champion: Carter Starocci (PSU) (2-3)
#4 seeded NCAA 3rd Place: Mikey Labriola (Nebraska) (4-10)
#7 Seeded NCAA Round of 12: Kaleb Romero (Ohio St.) (5-9)
One 'oops' loss to (NCAA #32 Seeded Drew Hughes MSU)

TWICE Defeated Jake Allar (MN) NCAA Seeded #24 (5-3 and 3-2)

I believe it would have been fair to give him a wild card entry to NCAA's.

Also, 174 Wild Card Jackson Turley from Rutgers, who lost to Jake Allar at the Big Tens, placed 8th at the NCAA's.  Krattiger did not get to wrestle on the 2nd day of the Big Tens due to injury. He probably would have got the Wild Card if placed 9th and beat Turley.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

hammer

I think Wick is moving to 174 and that is why kratts is moving on. Just my beliefs and know nothing to base this one.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on March 24, 2021, 10:06:39 AM

As soon as I saw that I remembered.

I miss the commitments page that Tom used to do.  Unfortunately, I don't think people would submit information.
[/quote]

Appears to be confirmed that Jared goes to Minnesota.

tigerking

Who was Minnesota's 174 last year?

wrastle63

Quote from: tigerking on May 10, 2021, 08:08:01 PM
Allar who beat him to get to NCAAs.

tigerking

Quote from: wrastle63 on May 10, 2021, 09:14:11 PM

That is right. I believe Kratty beat Allar in the dual. Should be interesting. Does McNally beat them? I think so.

wrastle63

Quote from: tigerking on May 11, 2021, 09:22:36 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on May 10, 2021, 09:14:11 PM

That is right. I believe Kratty beat Allar in the dual. Should be interesting. Does McNally beat them? I think so.
McNally beat Krattiger fairly soundly 2 seasons ago. Some transfers can make huge jumps compared to others. When you look at Moran he was at Oklahoma State with great coaching and partners. He got freed up to start and got to wrestle with Gross. Gross' situation didn't change much as he was coached by Bono and Reader at SDSU and Wisconsin. BUT McNally goes from Kent State to Wisconsin, from James Limongi, Tyler Bates, Colin McCracken as starters above/below him to train with to Chris Weiler, Braxton Amos, and then whoever fits in at 65(Dow, Otto, Hamiti, etc.) I think he can make a big jump.