Krattiger?

Started by 1Iota, March 22, 2021, 01:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

I heard a rumor that Krattiger announced on Instagram that he is transferring.  Can anyone confirm this?  His IG page is private. 

mkm13

Interesting.  He showed improvement this year, but still didn't quite have enough to make the tournament.  Thought he could have continued to improve and eventually help in terms of NCAA points.  That said, every scholarship has value.  Not sure what he was getting for money, but would assume he was getting a fair amount and had no NCAA points to show for it.  Will be curious if this opens up money to find a decent transfer.

matrat86

Quote from: mkm13 on March 22, 2021, 01:41:45 PM
Interesting.  He showed improvement this year, but still didn't quite have enough to make the tournament.  Thought he could have continued to improve and eventually help in terms of NCAA points.  That said, every scholarship has value.  Not sure what he was getting for money, but would assume he was getting a fair amount and had no NCAA points to show for it.  Will be curious if this opens up money to find a decent transfer.

+1

vsmf2010

Did not see that coming. Really liked Krat. He will be missed.

I wonder if that means that some combination of Wick, Hamiti and Calhoun will be expected to be wrestling 65 and 74. Just speculating. No inside info whatsoever.

mkm13

Assuming Wick does not go up, Dow would still be around for 174 if UW is not able to bring in a transfer.  If Dow replaces Krattiger, this probably hurts a little bit in terms of dual meets, but likely not an impact at NCAA's.

MakingABadgerer

As the program improves there will be some who decide this is not what they signed up for.  Not saying this was the case with Krattiger but sometimes the writing is on the wall that a new guy is coming in and the starter isn't willing to fight for his spot in the lineup and doesn't want to sit behind a younger guy for the remainder of his career.  You'll hear complaints from the former starter/his family/his club & high school coach about being "recruited over".  Again, not saying this happened in this case but it is absolutely going to happen if Bucky is going to succeed.

If Krattiger is planning on continuing his career at the D-1 level, 2021 is a rough time to test the waters (extra covid year has created a mathematical nightmare for coaches to pay the guys on the roster, then add in high school juniors and seniors taking whatever scholarship scraps are available).  Best of luck to him wherever he goes.  Thank you for your service.   

dad 2 5

this is weird! Bono talked up Kratty nearly every Jump Around Monday. Guessing Kratty did not buy in and that is concerning to me.

Ghetto

Sorry to see him go. Hope he lands somewhere he feels is best for him.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 22, 2021, 05:29:02 PM
this is weird! Bono talked up Kratty nearly every Jump Around Monday. Guessing Kratty did not buy in and that is concerning to me.
Mr Positive again....

I like Krattiger but he hasn't made it to NCAAs and we do have other solid 174 options. Opens up scholarship money for someone else.

The Legend

Wrastle63, do you provide any sort of information or anything else to a conversation other than calling out other posters?  Maybe you are a half full glass and Dad is a half empty glass?  From what I hear the program should be really really lucky that a few kids have decided to stay.  I won't go into the entire story.  Losing Krattiger sucks and he will land with a good program because the kid works!!

mkm13

It is never ideal to lose someone, especially someone who is a good kid and works hard.  That said, just look at the other post with all the transfers.  Transfers are going to happen. We will lose some, and we will get some. So far, Bono has been able to land more transfers than he has lost, in terms of quality.

I do not believe Krattiger will land with a good program if he is looking for significant scholarship money.  He has finished 3 years in college and has yet to qualify for NCAAs.  Making NCAAs is basically the minimum level expectation for any good program if you are getting good $.  That said, i hope he does and i hope he is able to achieve his goals. It unfortunately didnt happen here.

Hopefully Bono is able to use the scholarship on a guy who can make NCAAs and get at a minimum a few points at the tournament.

Numbers

The EIWA over allocation of auto qualifiers was crap this year.  There is a reason Krattiger has been ranked in the polls the last two years.  He is a solid wrestler apparently 1 win short of being an NCAA qualifier.

If there were better options on the team I am pretty sure Bono would have wrestled someone else.

TomM

Jared's record included the following among his few (5?) losses in 2021:

#1 Seeded NCAA Runner-Up and #1 Ranked: Michael Kemmerer (Iowa)
#3 Seeded NCAA Champion: Carter Starocci (PSU) (2-3)
#4 seeded NCAA 3rd Place: Mikey Labriola (Nebraska) (4-10)
#7 Seeded NCAA Round of 12: Kaleb Romero (Ohio St.) (5-9)
One 'oops' loss to (NCAA #32 Seeded Drew Hughes MSU)

TWICE Defeated Jake Allar (MN) NCAA Seeded #24 (5-3 and 3-2)

I believe it would have been fair to give him a wild card entry to NCAA's.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

vsmf2010

Quote from: TomM on March 22, 2021, 11:10:27 PM

Good points Tom. No doubt he was one of the best 33 wrestlers at his weight. Unfortunately with the lack of interconference wrestling the middle of the pack Big Ten wrestlers who were top 25 guys with records around .500 were often getting left out if they did not get an auto-qualifier spot.

dad 2 5

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 23, 2021, 10:53:01 AM
Quote from: TomM on March 22, 2021, 11:10:27 PM

Good points Tom. No doubt he was one of the best 33 wrestlers at his weight. Unfortunately with the lack of interconference wrestling the middle of the pack Big Ten wrestlers who were top 25 guys with records around .500 were often getting left out if they did not get an auto-qualifier spot.

Agree with both as Jared should have been in but only so many spots and at some point someone is left out that should have gone. It needed those early season wins that were not wrestled.