2021 NCAA D1 Championship

Started by Harris, March 18, 2021, 09:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Cardinale defeats Barnett 12-7

Fell behind 6-0 early. Overall, great tournament run by Eric!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

wrastle63

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 20, 2021, 11:20:03 AM

Agreed disappointing last match. Seemed like Eric went out there to get a pin and just let it fly. He put himself on his back with that first move. To watch Eric's progress from not even qualifying this year to being an AA shows where the Badgers are progressing. Looking forward to seeing what he can do next season! I think he has a great skill set just needs to sure up some of his defense. He gives up a lot of easy takedowns ,but is an extremely dangerous wrestler.

bigoil

Quote from: mkm13 on March 20, 2021, 09:37:11 AM
I dont believe Amos ever wrestled Ferrari. Where did you see that?

Next year will be really interesting. How many colleges will allow their seniors to use this extra free year and come back next year?  Apparently basically all of Iowas guys are going to use it and be back.  If a lot of seniors are allowed to come back and decide to, the talent next year in college could be very good and deep.  Add in wrestlers from schools that took the year off like Cornell and it will be interesting how we will fit in, even with a much improved lineup.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EUKRyHMqn9E

Army Ant

Good tournament for WI high school wrestling. I count 4 all-Americans including two wrestling for 3rd place very soon. Only one is a badger though.

Troy Grindle

Quote from: bigoil on March 20, 2021, 11:27:22 AM

Next year will be really interesting. How many colleges will allow their seniors to use this extra free year and come back next year?  Apparently basically all of Iowas guys are going to use it and be back.  If a lot of seniors are allowed to come back and decide to, the talent next year in college could be very good and deep.  Add in wrestlers from schools that took the year off like Cornell and it will be interesting how we will fit in, even with a much improved lineup.

Thanks for sharing that video. I will admit that I have had my doubts about how good Amos would have been this year, even with the guys he has beaten. But after watching that video and watching Ferrari wrestle last night I have no doubt in my mind now that Amos could've pushed for a national title this year.  In all likelihood Amos is going to be like a Kemp or a Howe.  I just hope that he does come to the badgers and doesn't decide just to wrestle internationally and skip college.  Amos is going to be a very special wrestler.
And then there was that.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 20, 2021, 11:26:59 AM

Agreed disappointing last match. Seemed like Eric went out there to get a pin and just let it fly. He put himself on his back with that first move. To watch Eric's progress from not even qualifying this year to being an AA shows where the Badgers are progressing. Looking forward to seeing what he can do next season! I think he has a great skill set just needs to sure up some of his defense. He gives up a lot of easy takedowns , but is an extremely dangerous wrestler.

Who does that sound like??  ;D ;D
Seth Gross's coaching of Eric and Kyle has been phenomenal!! Both made tremendous strides, both peaked when they needed to, and both are only going to get better!!
Seeing how excited Seth was after Eric's AA match against Schroeder was awesome and shows how much he cares! Fun to see!!

Harris

Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 20, 2021, 01:04:14 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 20, 2021, 11:26:59 AM

Agreed disappointing last match. Seemed like Eric went out there to get a pin and just let it fly. He put himself on his back with that first move. To watch Eric's progress from not even qualifying this year to being an AA shows where the Badgers are progressing. Looking forward to seeing what he can do next season! I think he has a great skill set just needs to sure up some of his defense. He gives up a lot of easy takedowns ,but is an extremely dangerous wrestler.

Who does that sound like??  ;D ;D
Seth Gross's coaching of Eric and Kyle has been phenomenal!! Both made tremendous strides, both peaked when they needed to, and both are only going to get better!!
Seeing how excited Seth was after Eric's AA match against Schroeder was awesome and shows how much he cares! Fun to see!!

Totally agree

Harris

Quote from: Troy Grindle on March 20, 2021, 12:39:53 PM

Thanks for sharing that video. I will admit that I have had my doubts about how good Amos would have been this year, even with the guys he has beaten. But after watching that video and watching Ferrari wrestle last night I have no doubt in my mind now that Amos could've pushed for a national title this year.  In all likelihood Amos is going to be like a Kemp or a Howe.  I just hope that he does come to the badgers and doesn't decide just to wrestle internationally and skip college.  Amos is going to be a very special wrestler.

If you watch the video on Rokfin that Bono posted with Amos and Zargo in the hot tub after practice they are all in and ready to go for the Badgers next year.  I agree he could have an impact like Kemp or Howe.  To make a football analogy, Hamiti, Copass, Amos, and Zargo could be transformational like the Packers when Reggie White and Brett Favre put Green Bay on the map. 

dad 2 5

Happy for Trent and EB and having a good tournament. Going in I did not see them getting this far and it was good to see. My guess is CW is banged up more then we know. Burwick shows signs of improvement and potential.

Ghetto

Congratulations to Eric Barnett and Trent Hillger on brewing All-Americans. What a tremendous accomplishment. Both seemed to put it together at the right time.

Barnett has completely blown my expectations out of the water. I was flat out wrong about him.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

DocWrestling

184-  Has there ever been a weight class weaker in the Big Ten than 184 was this year?  Only one All-American from the Big Ten
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

tigerking

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 20, 2021, 05:46:57 PM
184-  Has there ever been a weight class weaker in the Big Ten than 184 was this year?  Only one All-American from the Big Ten

2 All Americans. Brooks and Poznanski. 3 wrestlers lost in the round of 12. 149 and 165 also only had 2 All Americans. Looking at the names from those three weight classes, 149 and 165 are weaker than 184 this year.

mkm13

Well Ferrari just said he is going heavyweight. Amos might not have to wrestle him. But that would be another tough one for Hillger to deal with.

vsmf2010

I believe that is Noah Adams from West Virginia (in the video) from the Cowboy Challenge back in February not Braxton Amos.

rv84

Yes that is Adams of West Virginia not Amos.