Badgers Excited to Battle at Big Tens | Kirk Nelson

Started by TomM, March 05, 2021, 04:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossface21

Quote from: jw52 on March 06, 2021, 07:28:12 PM
Currently in 12th place outta 14? Even Barry's worst year wasn't that bad. Time to think about a change or just keep drinking the kool aid?

In 2012 they finished dead last with 9 points. There were also some pretty lean years in the early 2000's where they were taking 9th out of 11 teams. Bono is in his 3rd year. It hasn't been a train wreck like it was at the end of Davis' tenure. We knew this year wasn't gonna be great. Do we wish it was a little better? Of course, but lets see how it plays out with the top recruits coming in next year.

imwi

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on March 06, 2021, 07:42:41 PM
Scharenbrock getting dominated.
I missed the beginning but it was 6-4 going in to the 3rd and he rode him for 2 minutes

dad 2 5

Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 06, 2021, 07:47:12 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 06, 2021, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on March 06, 2021, 07:03:33 PM
I know we have Amos and Wick sitting out, but the young talent on this team needs A LOT of work.  The last few years of Barry's recruiting classes are producing nothing (can hillger return to form?) And none of Bono's recruits appear ready to do anything at NCAA's.

It is looking likely that Amos and Hamiti will be studs, but for any substantial turn around some of these other guys really need to step up.

well said and my thoughts too. Bono needs to get more high recruits and wrestlers in the room and not wait until next year.
Like the #1 overall recruit in 2020? Or the #7 overall recruit in 2021? Or the # 1 Heavyweight in the country?  Yeah, Bono needs to recruit better  ::) ::)

I guess I am not see it!
Yet!?!
So are you telling me there are true freshman and redshirt freshman on the team this year that are going to make a IMPACT? I see NONE this year and a let's wait and see next year (I do have high hopes on TWO for next year assuming they are Badgers next year)

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

BuckyMatt

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 06, 2021, 07:55:13 PM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 06, 2021, 07:47:12 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 06, 2021, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on March 06, 2021, 07:03:33 PM
I know we have Amos and Wick sitting out, but the young talent on this team needs A LOT of work.  The last few years of Barry's recruiting classes are producing nothing (can hillger return to form?) And none of Bono's recruits appear ready to do anything at NCAA's.

It is looking likely that Amos and Hamiti will be studs, but for any substantial turn around some of these other guys really need to step up.

well said and my thoughts too. Bono needs to get more high recruits and wrestlers in the room and not wait until next year.
Like the #1 overall recruit in 2020? Or the #7 overall recruit in 2021? Or the # 1 Heavyweight in the country?  Yeah, Bono needs to recruit better  ::) ::)

I guess I am not see it!
Yet!?!
So are you telling me there are true freshman and redshirt freshman on the team this year that are going to make a IMPACT? I see NONE this year and a let's wait and see next year (I do have high hopes on TWO for next year assuming they are Badgers next year)

You don't see it??? That's probably because you don't subscribe to Rokfin and didn't SEE Amos destroy 3X All American/1x Finalist TJ Dudley.
Besides complaining on a random anonymous forum, what have YOU done to help the program??

The Legend

Look, I have stayed quiet for over a year for the most part on this program.  I was all about Bono coming here bringing new energy.  I loved Barry Davis but it was time.  Some of you apologist need to stop.  You were the same guys jumping the apologists for Davis. This is how I see it.

Bono can recruit (It's a good a thing because he doesn't teach technique!)
Guys on this team have gone backwards and yes Evan Wick has too.  You saw his decent last year.  Being out of the room a lot this year he has started to progress again. 

You have a Cross Country minded coach as a head coach of your wrestling team! That is tremendous early in the season when you can steal a few wins here and there and maybe a couple dual meets to build fan base and create that excitement.

The issue with that excitement is now people have expectations and when all the teams are now in shape at the end of the year you can't win those same matches.

If it were not for the 1 or 2 year transfers from other programs where would this team be?   

Eye test tells me 2 or 3 of the other guys that did not wrestle big tens should have.  Is he building for the future?  Teaching wrestling would be a great start!

dad 2 5

More then I should at this point!

Did Amos have a W on? Not yet.

10 weights and to compete in the Big Ten you have to do better then one star recruit. I am interested in two guys coming in and if they can compete in the Big Ten but we have to wait on that to see

Harris

Quote from: The Legend on March 06, 2021, 08:11:15 PM
Look, I have stayed quiet for over a year for the most part on this program.  I was all about Bono coming here bringing new energy.  I loved Barry Davis but it was time.  Some of you apologist need to stop.  You were the same guys jumping the apologists for Davis. This is how I see it.

Guys on this team have gone backwards and yes Evan Wick has too.  You saw his decent last year.  Being out of the room a lot this year he has started to progress again. 

You have a Cross Country minded coach as a head coach of your wrestling team! That is tremendous early in the season when you can steal a few wins here and there and maybe a couple dual meets to build fan base and create that excitement.

The issue with that excitement is now people have expectations and when all the teams are now in shape at the end of the year you can't win those same matches.

If it were not for the 1 or 2 year transfers from other programs where would this team be?   

Eye test tells me 2 or 3 of the other guys that did not wrestle big tens should have.  Is he building for the future?  Teaching wrestling would be a great start!

Very insightful and interesting post.

DocWrestling

Does UW have any victory over a higher seed?  Not one upset in a tournament of a lot of upsets?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Harris

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 06, 2021, 08:17:44 PM
More then I should at this point!

Did Amos have a W on? Not yet.

10 weights and to compete in the Big Ten you have to do better then one star recruit. I am interested in two guys coming in and if they can compete in the Big Ten but we have to wait on that to see

Good points.

1Iota

I want to be fair to Bono & he needs to be given a chance to coach his recruits as upperclassmen, but this is hard to watch.  Do we have one guy who has wrestled above his seed? 

walden_hiker

Quote from: Harris on March 06, 2021, 08:20:41 PM
Quote from: The Legend on March 06, 2021, 08:11:15 PM

Very insightful and interesting post.

Great points and totally agree. It seems the team continues to peak week 1. I had high hopes for Bono but he is not passing the eye test. When you pay a new coach more than double the the previous one, of course expectations will and should be high.  Wrestlers are improving but after watching today, the other big ten wrestlers are improving at a greater level.  Wrestlers continue to lose to guys they beat earlier in the season.

dad 2 5

Parris with a :58 pin; impressive!