Big Ten preseeds

Started by Numbers, March 02, 2021, 01:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerking

Quote from: mkm13 on March 05, 2021, 08:03:28 AM
Assuming Barnett, Wick, Krattiger, Weiler, Amos, and Hillger all are on the team next year and healthy, it would seem we could finish as high as 5th.  It would appear we would need a lot of improvement or an additional transfer or 2 to finish above Michigan and OSU.  It would take 5 or 6 high end transfers to finish close to Iowa or PSU...but that can be said with almost anyone.

I also like Scharenbrock and Model. They have improved quite a bit since they stepped on campus. Amos makes 197 and those guys return next year, we could be dangerous.

tigerking

Quote from: Army Ant on March 05, 2021, 08:19:53 AM
Kirkvliet #7 at Heavyweight? I know he's better than that. Raw deal for Parris even though Parris may beat him. I'm guessing he's the 2nd or 3rd best heavyweight. I know he didn't "earn" any seed this year but the goal should still be to seed the wrestlers so you get the best wrestlers advancing. #6 would be much better for everybody IMO.

Regular season matters and Kerkvliet did not beat anybody with a win. By the standards in which the Big Tens usually does their seeds, he should be a 13 seed. That seed would also be fitting because he would beat Luffman and "steal" his 4 seed.

Ledger

Kirkvliet #7 at Heavyweight? I know he's better than that. Raw deal for Parris even though Parris may beat him. I'm guessing he's the 2nd or 3rd best heavyweight. I know he didn't "earn" any seed this year but the goal should still be to seed the wrestlers so you get the best wrestlers advancing. #6 would be much better for everybody IMO.
Kirkvliet is definitely better than a 7 seed.  The below match took place when Kirkvliet was just 16 yrs old and was 40lbs lighter than Steveson.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/02/steveson-holds-off-kerkvliet-in-high-school-wrestling-battle-for-the-ages/

tigerking

Quote from: Ledger on March 05, 2021, 09:02:58 AM
Kirkvliet is definitely better than a 7 seed.  The below match took place when Kirkvliet was just 16 yrs old and was 40lbs lighter than Steveson.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/02/steveson-holds-off-kerkvliet-in-high-school-wrestling-battle-for-the-ages/

Potential talent has nothing to do with what seed you deserve. I know he is better then a 7 seed. I am not dumb. What I am saying is they look at the record from this season is and he has not beaten anyone. The only guy he has defeated in the entire field is the 14 seed. Only reason I am upset that he is the 7 seed is it locks Hilliger into the 7th place match.

vsmf2010

The 133 seeds are going to change some. Alvarez is out for Rutgers at 133 and Metzler is in. This is going to impact who KB wrestles and he will likely move to the 9 with Metzler slotting at the 10. They have the same common opponents with KB wining by Major over Cummings and losing by decision to Decatur and Metzler wining by decision over Cummings and losing by decision to Decatur. KB also has 5 more matches and I think they will reward that. His other 5 matches are 3 losses to wrestlers seeded in the top 6 and a win over the 11 seed.

tigerking

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 05, 2021, 12:10:12 PM
The 133 seeds are going to change some. Alvarez is out for Rutgers at 133 and Metzler is in. This is going to impact who KB wrestles and he will likely move to the 9 with Metzler slotting at the 10. They have the same common opponents with KB wining by Major over Cummings and losing by decision to Decatur and Metzler wining by decision over Cummings and losing by decision to Decatur. KB also has 5 more matches and I think they will reward that. His other 5 matches are 3 losses to wrestlers seeded in the top 6 and a win over the 11 seed.

I feel bad for Alvarez. Exciting wrestler to watch, but this is big for Burwick. Hopefully he capitalizes on this and makes a run to the NCAA Tournament.

Army Ant

Quote from: tigerking on March 05, 2021, 09:38:20 AM

Potential talent has nothing to do with what seed you deserve. I know he is better then a 7 seed. I am not dumb. What I am saying is they look at the record from this season is and he has not beaten anyone. The only guy he has defeated in the entire field is the 14 seed. Only reason I am upset that he is the 7 seed is it locks Hilliger into the 7th place match.

Do you want to see people seeded on what they "deserve" or how good you think they are? the problem with what they "deserve" is that it isn't done in a vacuum. It affects other wrestlers. Now the #2 seed has a tougher road than the #3 seed which isn't "deserved" either. Then if Kirk loses to Parriis, as you stated, Hilger gets screwed in the consolations. By doing what is "fair" to Kirkvliet you screw over other wrestlers. Try to put the best wrestlers at the highest seeds.

tigerking

Quote from: Army Ant on March 05, 2021, 03:26:32 PM
Quote from: tigerking on March 05, 2021, 09:38:20 AM

Do you want to see people seeded on what they "deserve" or how good you think they are? the problem with what they "deserve" is that it isn't done in a vacuum. It affects other wrestlers. Now the #2 seed has a tougher road than the #3 seed which isn't "deserved" either. Then if Kirk loses to Parriis, as you stated, Hilger gets screwed in the consolations. By doing what is "fair" to Kirkvliet you screw over other wrestlers. Try to put the best wrestlers at the highest seeds.

This is absurd. HWT at Big 10s is tough. Not many guys have a good draw. I think Hilger is better than Luffman and Lance, does that mean he should be seeded ahead of them? No! He didn't beat them this year. Kerkvliet is only going to wrestle enough to qualify anyways so don't get too wound up just yet.

Army Ant

Not wound up. What u think isn't too important but yah if it's unanimous then seed him higher than them. I don't think everybody would agree with u though.

mkm13

Quote from: tigerking on March 05, 2021, 08:25:20 AM
Quote from: mkm13 on March 05, 2021, 08:03:28 AM
Assuming Barnett, Wick, Krattiger, Weiler, Amos, and Hillger all are on the team next year and healthy, it would seem we could finish as high as 5th.  It would appear we would need a lot of improvement or an additional transfer or 2 to finish above Michigan and OSU.  It would take 5 or 6 high end transfers to finish close to Iowa or PSU...but that can be said with almost anyone.

I also like Scharenbrock and Model. They have improved quite a bit since they stepped on campus. Amos makes 197 and those guys return next year, we could be dangerous.

They may have improved, but they both appear to have a long way to go if they are going to make any impact in competing with the top teams.

Wrestling Thug

Mason dominated Kerkvliet! Kerkvliet will be hampered his whole career with his knee injury. He's a awesome wrestler, but he won't overcome that knee and that's misfortunate!

Army Ant

Quote from: Wrestling Thug on March 06, 2021, 01:47:18 PM
Mason dominated Kerkvliet! Kerkvliet will be hampered his whole career with his knee injury. He's a awesome wrestler, but he won't overcome that knee and that's misfortunate!

Never? Why do u say that? I don't believe knees injuries are ever career emding in wrestling. It can take several months though.

Wrestling Thug

Knee injuries most definitely can be career ending. In his case it has stopped him for several years. In one of Mason's takedowns you can see him wince. I believe if Kerkvliet is completely injury free he definitely would be able to fight off leg attacks and reattack much better.

dman

Did a bad knee (ACL) hamper Lee from Iowa?  How about Maranelii from Iowa?  How about Yanni from Cornel?