HWT

Started by hammer, February 28, 2021, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: tigerking on March 02, 2021, 09:14:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Wick, Hilliger, and Weiler did not return next year.

Weiler I understand. He is a grad student and next year would be his 6th year of college wrestling but I am curious tigerking why you think Evan or Trent would not be back next year. Evan is on a Olympic redshirt and would be a RS senior next year regardless of the extra year so the scholarship-pandemic-extra year really does not impact him. He will have the same years and scholarships as if the extra year never happened. Trent will be a redshirt Junior next year because of the extra eligibility so next year would normally have been his RS senior year so the extra scholarship year for Trent would not be the 21-22 season (next year) it would be the 22-23 season (the following year).

Harris

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 02, 2021, 11:12:50 AM
Quote from: tigerking on March 02, 2021, 09:14:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Wick, Hilliger, and Weiler did not return next year.

Weiler I understand. He is a grad student and next year would be his 6th year of college wrestling but I am curious tigerking why you think Evan or Trent would not be back next year. Evan is on a Olympic redshirt and would be a RS senior next year regardless of the extra year so the scholarship-pandemic-extra year really does not impact him. He will have the same years and scholarships as if the extra year never happened. Trent will be a redshirt Junior next year because of the extra eligibility so next year would normally have been his RS senior year so the extra scholarship year for Trent would not be the 21-22 season (next year) it would be the 22-23 season (the following year).

If Wick doesn't come back that would be a HUGE loss for this team but I really hope he comes back. I think he is wrestling at a very high level right now and I would love to see him finish where he started and make a statement.  I have really enjoyed watching him over the years.  It would be a shame to lose him.  Isn't his girlfriend in Madison  ;) ?

Same thing goes for Hillger.  His personality and wrestling abilities are critical for the team to be a success next year.  I think he will be back and will be hungry.  I still think he is going to finish this season stronger than he has been wrestling lately.  He has all the tools needed to AA again he just needs to get his mojo back.

I was not expecting Weiler to be back but that would be awesome if he was.  He is a tough wrestler and I am excited for what happens in the next few weeks for him.

Honestly, I don't know why these 3 wouldn't want to be a part of something special next year.  They have the perfect opportunity to make a difference for this program.  As competitors, I would think they would relish the opportunity to help create something that would be remembered.  This could be the defining moment for the program.  The turning point.  Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?  If I was Bono, Reader and Gross, I would be selling that to all my current and future wrestlers.  Let's go!

tigerking

Wisconsin still has to pays these scholarships for Weiler and Wick even if they don't count against the 9.9. I forgot that Hilliger is a JR. My bad. I am all for these guys coming back. Wick worries me. He could have wrestled for a free year of eligibility this year and chose not too. He has 0 chance to make the Olympic Team. I don't have a good feeling about this.

imwi

Quote from: tigerking on March 03, 2021, 08:47:25 AM
Wisconsin still has to pays these scholarships for Weiler and Wick even if they don't count against the 9.9. I forgot that Hilliger is a JR. My bad. I am all for these guys coming back. Wick worries me. He could have wrestled for a free year of eligibility this year and chose not too. He has 0 chance to make the Olympic Team. I don't have a good feeling about this.

I believe he made his decision prior to the NCAA saying it was a free year.  I had the impression that some athletes were concerned that it would turn out like last year and they would lose another season so they sat the year out. 

imnofish

Perhaps Wick has calculated that his Olympic training experience will better fuel his improvement than this abbreviated college wrestling season might have.  It would be interesting to see which aspects of his skillset are garnering the most attention right now, as well as how it facilitates the desired level of improvement.  Hopefully, we will get to see him compete as a Badger next year, and his chosen path will pay big dividends.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wrastle63

Quote from: imnofish on March 03, 2021, 01:16:55 PM

Perhaps Wick has calculated that his Olympic training experience will better fuel his improvement than this abbreviated college wrestling season might have.  It would be interesting to see which aspects of his skillset are garnering the most attention right now, as well as how it facilitates the desired level of improvement.  Hopefully, we will get to see him compete as a Badger next year, and his chosen path will pay big dividends.
Evan openly said he loved his training situation with the Olympic year. He went out to the east coast and trained with Frank Chamizo, went to the RTC Cup, wrestled senior level guys on the RTC cards, etc.

BuckyMatt

Evan will be wrestling for the Badgers next year!!

littleguy301

Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 03, 2021, 07:04:30 PM

Well that is really good to know!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 03, 2021, 04:49:24 PM

Evan openly said he loved his training situation with the Olympic year. He went out to the east coast and trained with Frank Chamizo, went to the RTC Cup, wrestled senior level guys on the RTC cards, etc.

Sounds like he made a great choice, then!  Looking forward to watching him wrestle for Wisconsin next year!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

dad 2 5

Quote from: imnofish on March 06, 2021, 02:00:49 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 03, 2021, 04:49:24 PM

Sounds like he made a great choice, then!  Looking forward to watching him wrestle for Wisconsin next year!

+1 hoping to see him back with the W

Army Ant

Did Amos redshirt?

imwi

Quote from: Army Ant on March 06, 2021, 05:59:38 PM
Did Amos redshirt?

No, he is not registered at UW from what I understand.  So it's more of a grey shirt. 

tigerking

Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 03, 2021, 07:04:30 PM

Wrong

hammer

Quote from: imwi on March 06, 2021, 06:09:07 PM
Quote from: Army Ant on March 06, 2021, 05:59:38 PM
Did Amos redshirt?

No, he is not registered at UW from what I understand.  So it's more of a grey shirt.

I would say it is nothing. He hasn't enrolled in any college so he is a prospective college athlete. Took a year off, studying over seas, working to pay for college. Any of those terms fit fit better than a grey shirt.