HWT

Started by hammer, February 28, 2021, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

With the pick up of Brook Empy, where does this work for the Badgers? I think Hilger, Amos, Copass, Christianson are under a pretty nice scholarship and looks to be at the same weight. I hear Christianson is around 230 and dont think he is going 184 for sure like some say. I hear Amos is in that neighborhood also walking around and we know Hilger and Copass are HWT. Looking at Empy I think he has some weight to cut to get to 197, so I would like to hear some chatter as to what people think is going to happen. I would say lots of scholarship money in the HWT class at Wisconsin.

wrastle63

Quote from: hammer on February 28, 2021, 02:52:50 PM
With the pick up of Brook Empy, where does this work for the Badgers? I think Hilger, Amos, Copass, Christianson are under a pretty nice scholarship and looks to be at the same weight. I hear Christianson is around 230 and dont think he is going 184 for sure like some say. I hear Amos is in that neighborhood also walking around and we know Hilger and Copass are HWT. Looking at Empy I think he has some weight to cut to get to 197, so I would like to hear some chatter as to what people think is going to happen. I would say lots of scholarship money in the HWT class at Wisconsin.
Amos just wrestled at 205 I believe it said at Underground 4 against Dudley.

bigoil

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 28, 2021, 03:03:25 PM
That's correct.

hammer

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 28, 2021, 03:03:25 PM

I was told wrong. I was told 213 and he was dropping a bit to get there.

Still 3 guys with big scholarships at HWT. I hope it works out.

Ghetto

Do we know Empey is getting money?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

Scholarships in wrestling are not guaranteed.

I believe schools needed to be creative with scholarship dollars in a year like this. Say you have a full ride athlete not participating due to Covid and a five .2 scholarships. Well for this year they might have been bumped up to .4's and next year zero.

Compass and Hilger will not have much of an overlap.

mkm13

My understanding is Amos is planning to be at 197. I would assume Empey is not gett8ng much scholarship money, and depth is needed at all weights.

Depending if Hillger uses the free year to stay an extra year, there could be an extra year of overlap with Copass and him.

Christensen appears to be overlap as well at either 197 and HWT.  I am guessing he is getting a good chunk of scholarship $, although based on his results so far it seems like the overlap may be necessary.

DocWrestling

I would doubt that Alvarez will allow any senior to return with scholarship money.  They did not allow that with the spring athletes from last year.  Unfortunately seniors in revenue and non-revenue sports will be treated differently when it comes to getting and extra year of scholarship money due to Covid.  The NCAA has granted them an extra year of eligibility but the university does not have to grant them scholarship money.  Everyone seems to be saying that football and basketball players can come back for another year with scholarship but not the non-revenue sport athletes.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

mkm13

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 01, 2021, 08:38:54 AM
I would doubt that Alvarez will allow any senior to return with scholarship money.  They did not allow that with the spring athletes from last year.  Unfortunately seniors in revenue and non-revenue sports will be treated differently when it comes to getting and extra year of scholarship money due to Covid.  The NCAA has granted them an extra year of eligibility but the university does not have to grant them scholarship money.  Everyone seems to be saying that football and basketball players can come back for another year with scholarship but not the non-revenue sport athletes.

I understand a couple volleyball players are planning to come back.

hammer

Quote from: mkm13 on March 01, 2021, 07:21:51 AM
My understanding is Amos is planning to be at 197. I would assume Empey is not gett8ng much scholarship money, and depth is needed at all weights.

Depending if Hillger uses the free year to stay an extra year, there could be an extra year of overlap with Copass and him.

Christensen appears to be overlap as well at either 197 and HWT.  I am guessing he is getting a good chunk of scholarship $, although based on his results so far it seems like the overlap may be necessary.

I think there maybe an overlap with all 3. Christian looked really big to drop to 197 and a monster for 184.  Just asking because confused and some wrong information about Amos weight.

Handles II

Quote from: mkm13 on March 01, 2021, 09:04:18 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 01, 2021, 08:38:54 AM

I understand a couple volleyball players are planning to come back.
Volleyball is a "head count" sport, so they all get full scholarships. Not the same as wrestling and other partial scholarship sports.

DocWrestling

Volleyball is a women's sport so they need those scholarships if they allow football and men's basketball players to return for Title IX.

Volleyball generates a lot more revenue and interest than wrestling especially when you add in camps.

As handles said volleyball is a full scholarship sport, not a partial scholarship sport like wrestling.

I am just saying I have heard from multiple people that Alvarez will not be treating all athletes the same when it comes the the extra year.

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 01, 2021, 03:04:06 PM
Volleyball is a women's sport so they need those scholarships if they allow football and men's basketball players to return for Title IX.

Volleyball generates a lot more revenue and interest than wrestling especially when you add in camps.

As handles said volleyball is a full scholarship sport, not a partial scholarship sport like wrestling.

I am just saying I have heard from multiple people that Alvarez will not be treating all athletes the same when it comes the the extra year.
Why would BA care? There are only 9.9 scholarships, if used on wrestler A or B, I don't see how it matters to him.

DocWrestling

Quote from: bigoil on March 02, 2021, 06:20:24 AM

Why would BA care? There are only 9.9 scholarships, if used on wrestler A or B, I don't see how it matters to him.

I guess he would not care if he kept the scholarships at 9.9 but I was making the assumption of adding scholarships for next year.  For instance football is allowed to have 85 but next year they will be over 90 scholarships for that one year due to returning seniors.

tigerking

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 02, 2021, 07:18:14 AM
Quote from: bigoil on March 02, 2021, 06:20:24 AM

Guys like Wick, Hilliger and Weiler would have their scholarships added onto the 9.9. I think Empey was added to create some depth for this team. I wouldn't be surprised if Wick, Hilliger, and Weiler did not return next year. If they don't return, it is going to be another rough year for the badgers. If they do return, the badgers will be a tough team to beat.

I guess he would not care if he kept the scholarships at 9.9 but I was making the assumption of adding scholarships for next year.  For instance football is allowed to have 85 but next year they will be over 90 scholarships for that one year due to returning seniors.