Quick question

Started by littleguy301, February 24, 2021, 11:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

If people are worried about cheating on school weigh ins. I would guess that if a coach did so and got called out on it that coach would have no pull and I would doubt any school would ever again trust that school that was busted and the coach.

Something to think about.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Handles II

I'm 100% against home weigh ins for the simple fact that when we had them in MN, and I got a couple kids who moved in from other districts that we wrestled against regularly. They both admitted that they never once stepped on a scale for a home weigh in, and yes, the sheets were signed by a coach and a school administrator.
Nope, with weigh ins, I'm only trusting side-by-side and on the same scale. Same goes for skin-checks.

DocWrestling

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 03, 2021, 11:57:57 PM
If people are worried about cheating on school weigh ins. I would guess that if a coach did so and got called out on it that coach would have no pull and I would doubt any school would ever again truth that school that was busted and the coach.

Something to think about.

I would be against morning weigh-ins.  In college we weighed in the day before.  That promoted a lot more weight cutting than occurs today.  Morning weigh-ins would really reward those that cut the most weight or easily starved themselves the night before.  I think it would be more fair if it was just right after school.  I do believe the closer you have weigh-ins to match time makes the sport much more fair and safer and encourages kids to wrestle a more natural weight.  I have even supported matside weigh-ins.  To me morning weigh-ins moves the weigh in time to far from match time although this is often the case with a morning weigh in and then night time finals at a tournament.

To me any honest person can do the weigh-ins.  Refs are no more experts on reading a scale or doing skin checks than any administrator so could easily be done before boarding the bus for instance.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bulldog

Home school weigh-ins are fine being administered by a school official if all schools agree to the format but you have to have a good amount of trust that everyone is playing fair. Without an official you have to trust the paperwork and the opposing side doesn't see the process. 126 means 126...not 126.1 for a reason. But I could see an AD being the person to oversee. I guess it would just be a matter of trusting the system.

The thing about early weigh-ins is a tough argument. We have had threads about going to mat side weigh-ins to reduce weight cutting issues. Early weigh-ins seems counter productive to that discussion.

MNbadger

It is interesting to read all of us.  We complain about the things wrong, discouraging participation and we don't want to make weight/weigh ins better for kids.
I wrestled 5 years in college with home weigh ins after practice, the night before the meet.  I never once saw our coach cheat on a weigh in.  What is interesting is that he had a reputation as a cheater(maybe because he won?).
I never once cheated as a coach and I don't believe my colleagues from other schools did either.
The other part of this that is silly.  We have gone to trackwrestling for all of this.  We have to have at least half of our weigh ins after a certain date to qualify for your lowest weight for sections.   I can put any weight I want for every kid into the computer, literally cheating on every weigh in before or after that date.  What do you want to do about that?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

MNbadger

"Weight cutting issues"  The only "weight cutting issues" are ones of our own making.
WE are obsessing about it(again wondering why we can't "sell" wrestling to kids and parents).
Wrestlers want to win.
Their coach wants them to win.
Their brother wants them to win.
Their sister wants them to win.
Their bf/gf wants them to win.
If they cut the wrong way or too much they don't win.
This has always been a solution looking for a problem.
It is especially funny when many people on here are fiercely in the camp of "personal responsibility". 
I think it is good that we do a fat test (even though they are pretty inaccurate).  After the fat test and you have a minimum weight you should be ok for that weight, period.  No number of days, no descent plan.  You could be there the last day of competition.  If we have growth allowances, so be it.  If the growth allowance is what gets you there who cares? 
Quote from: bulldog on March 04, 2021, 07:51:08 AM
Home school weigh-ins are fine being administered by a school official if all schools agree to the format but you have to have a good amount of trust that everyone is playing fair. Without an official you have to trust the paperwork and the opposing side doesn't see the process. 126 means 126...not 126.1 for a reason. But I could see an AD being the person to oversee. I guess it would just be a matter of trusting the system.

The thing about early weigh-ins is a tough argument. We have had threads about going to mat side weigh-ins to reduce weight cutting issues. Early weigh-ins seems counter productive to that discussion.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

littleguy301

Quote from: Handles II on March 04, 2021, 07:38:23 AM
I'm 100% against home weigh ins for the simple fact that when we had them in MN, and I got a couple kids who moved in from other districts that we wrestled against regularly. They both admitted that they never once stepped on a scale for a home weigh in, and yes, the sheets were signed by a coach and a school administrator.
Nope, with weigh ins, I'm only trusting side-by-side and on the same scale. Same goes for skin-checks.

Put the read out eye level on wall,  video the kid getting on the scale and showing the weight. Singlets must be woren now any ways. If it saves time but now the kids might have 3 hour weigh in times so..............

littleguy301

Quote from: MNbadger on March 04, 2021, 08:06:12 AM
"Weight cutting issues"  The only "weight cutting issues" are ones of our own making.
WE are obsessing about it(again wondering why we can't "sell" wrestling to kids and parents).
Wrestlers want to win.
It is especially funny when many people on here are fiercely in the camp of "personal responsibility". 
I think it is good that we do a fat test (even though they are pretty inaccurate).  After the fat test and you have a minimum weight you should be ok for that weight, period.  No number of days, no descent plan.  You could be there the last day of competition.  If we have growth allowances, so be it.  If the growth allowance is what gets you there who cares? 

I agree with you mnbadger.

I want to say safe weight for the lowest weigh you can go. No decent plan!

If weighing in at home makes meets go faster I think we want to look at doing it.

MNbadger

You have trouble finding coaches.....
NOW you want to video the weigh ins?!?!?!?!?!
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 04, 2021, 08:09:06 AM

Put the read out eye level on wall,  video the kid getting on the scale and showing the weight. Singlets must be woren now any ways. If it saves time but now the kids might have 3 hour weigh in times so..............

dman

Quote from: MNbadger on March 04, 2021, 08:30:09 AM
You have trouble finding coaches.....
NOW you want to video the weigh ins?!?!?!?!?!
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 04, 2021, 08:09:06 AM

Boy...that post was helpful....  ::) ::)

You want things to change...but you don't want to try and do things differently??  At least he is offering suggestions.  Sheesh...

bulldog

Quote from: MNbadger on March 04, 2021, 08:06:12 AM
Wrestlers want to win.

Call it whatever you want. There is a reason there are skinfold tests and guidelines regarding how much weight can be lost each week. I will call in "weight reducing practices" if that PC term makes you feel better. But...if weight loss was not a concern or a real issue then why has there been so much chatter over the years regarding mat side weigh ins? There are kids that would lose more weight than is healthy for them if not watched. And there are coaches and parents who would allow it (even encourage it). And there still are. There are guys going down 1-2 weight classes lower than they should. Put an average wrestler on a scale in June and put them on the scale in the middle of football season. Then check their skinfold at the beginning of the season. I will bet 7 out of 10 would not skinfold the same in June as they did in September or as they do in November.

And any 17 year old that is losing weight unless they are obese is losing weight to meet a goal.

The hang up to the term "cutting weight" is unfounded. The term cutting weight simply is the practice of weight loss prior to a sporting competition frequently in order to qualify for a lower weight class. So by definition...any drop in weight to qualify for a weight class is "cutting".

And I don't think anyone was obsessing with it. My comment about 126 vs 126.1 is based solely on sticking to the rules and the sport being trasparent as possible. Weight reducing practices are part of the sport...not sure why we would avoid that part of the discussion. Same as weigh in and specific weight classes are part of the sport. Obsessing? Heck the current set-up of the entire sport is based on weight. It is like one of the primary components of the sport.

MNbadger

When I use the term obsessing is that we keep trying to control something that does n't need it.
What a kid weighs in football season proves nothing.  At the beginning of wrestling season wrestlers are skin folded with an MD.  They are certified to seven percent, accepted as healthy. 
How could a wrestler go down 1 or 2 weight classes "too low" as you claim?!?! 
I have zero problems with the term "cutting weight" so I have no idea what your PC comment even means.....