Quick question

Started by littleguy301, February 24, 2021, 11:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Quote from: MNbadger on February 25, 2021, 09:46:00 PM
I can't believe anyone here has been to any swim meets if you are thinking wrestling is long/boring.

When our wrestling team and swimming team switched one day, swimming workout was harder for us than ours to them, if you just go by physical wearout. We were puking water, and I slept with the dead that night.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigoil

Quote from: bigG on February 26, 2021, 02:36:43 PM
I can't believe anyone here has been to any swim meets if you are thinking wrestling is long/boring.

When our wrestling team and swimming team switched one day, swimming workout was harder for us than ours to them, if you just go by physical wearout. We were puking water, and I slept with the dead that night.
If wrestling didn't have the mental aspect of losing weight, swimming is the next hardest sport. Those guys are in great shape!

bigG

Quote from: bigoil on February 26, 2021, 02:43:48 PM
Quote from: bigG on February 26, 2021, 02:36:43 PM

If wrestling didn't have the mental aspect of losing weight, swimming is the next hardest sport. Those guys are in great shape!

We were shocked at how quickly we fatigued. If you ever play water polo for 15 minutes, you will sleep well. This was two hours of heck. I think the mental toughness of just not drowning is impressive.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bulldog

This thread is interesting. I am sure this will be a very unpopular opinion.

We have just spent the past 3 months bitching how unfair it was the WIAA was limiting wrestling opportunities and now that the season is over for about a hot minute we are back to talking about limiting the number of wrestling opportunities. Yep...coaching is low pay for little personal glory. It is a time commitment that is not equally compensated by $$. If that is the problem...quit. We have noticed club wrestling will step in and fill the void. My gut tells me if the WIAA and HS look for reasons to limit opportunities for kids to wrestle parents will start to move to club wrestling.

Coaching wrestling is not unique.  Every sport has athletes that need different attention. Each sport is a time commitment by the coach, each sport has parents that will crawl up the coaches backside, each sport has paperwork, grade issues, discipline issues, injuries.

The WIAA gives wrestling 14 opportunities to compete in season. 7 duels and 7 tournaments (not counting the tournament series). WIAA maximum competition allowance for other sports: Gymnastics 14 (that is a tough sport - weightlifting, watching weight, injuries), Track 20 (individuals compete in multiple events and typically minimal coaches), Hockey 20 (I wish hockey would go away...those are great wrestling recruits), Basketball 24 (I have watched basketball practice...they run all the Dang time), swimming 15 (most of us would drown after one practice), baseball/softball 26

Baseball - 26 games allowed. The season...2019 first game was April 2nd last game before the tournament series was May 25. 24 games played in 8 weeks (do the math). But of course baseball coaches don't have to deal with grades, paperwork, injuries, parents, the pay is awesome, the sport is not hard on an old guys body, there are no holidays (Easter, Mother's Day). Of those 24 games half were on a weekday starting after 4:30 pm. So Doc...your point about other sports have all day events during school hours is not factual. I don't believe school goes until 4:30 in the afternoon. (BTW...I am not a baseball coach and neither of my boys played in HS)

I know...the inappropriate term1 is all day tournaments on Saturdays. We all know every one of those tournaments could be shortened to half that time with less breaks. inappropriate term3...we saw the state tournament could be cut from 3 days to one. So it is very reasonable to believe a one day tournament could be cut in half with less hour long breaks.

My point...let's cut back wrestling opportunities for the athlete. Let's start a letter to the WIAA and have competitions only on weekdays, cut the number down to 9 like football, and let's cut weight classes down to 10. And then this forum can be bitching about low numbers in HS wrestling.

padre

Quote from: bulldog on March 02, 2021, 08:53:19 AM

We have just spent the past 3 months bitching how unfair it was the WIAA was limiting wrestling opportunities and now that the season is over for about a hot minute we are back to talking about limiting the number of wrestling opportunities. Yep...coaching is low pay for little personal glory. It is a time commitment that is not equally compensated by $$. If that is the problem...quit. We have noticed club wrestling will step in and fill the void. My gut tells me if the WIAA and HS look for reasons to limit opportunities for kids to wrestle parents will start to move to club wrestling.

Coaching wrestling is not unique.  Every sport has athletes that need different attention. Each sport is a time commitment by the coach, each sport has parents that will crawl up the coaches backside, each sport has paperwork, grade issues, discipline issues, injuries.

The WIAA gives wrestling 14 opportunities to compete in season. 7 duels and 7 tournaments (not counting the tournament series). WIAA maximum competition allowance for other sports: Gymnastics 14 (that is a tough sport - weightlifting, watching weight, injuries), Track 20 (individuals compete in multiple events and typically minimal coaches), Hockey 20 (I wish hockey would go away...those are great wrestling recruits), Basketball 24 (I have watched basketball practice...they run all the Dang time), swimming 15 (most of us would drown after one practice), baseball/softball 26

Baseball - 26 games allowed. The season...2019 first game was April 2nd last game before the tournament series was May 25. 24 games played in 8 weeks (do the math). But of course baseball coaches don't have to deal with grades, paperwork, injuries, parents, the pay is awesome, the sport is not hard on an old guys body, there are no holidays (Easter, Mother's Day). Of those 24 games half were on a weekday starting after 4:30 pm. So Doc...your point about other sports have all day events during school hours is not factual. I don't believe school goes until 4:30 in the afternoon. (BTW...I am not a baseball coach and neither of my boys played in HS)

I know...the inappropriate term1 is all day tournaments on Saturdays. We all know every one of those tournaments could be shortened to half that time with less breaks. inappropriate term3...we saw the state tournament could be cut from 3 days to one. So it is very reasonable to believe a one day tournament could be cut in half with less hour long breaks.

My point...let's cut back wrestling opportunities for the athlete. Let's start a letter to the WIAA and have competitions only on weekdays, cut the number down to 9 like football, and let's cut weight classes down to 10. And then this forum can be bitching about low numbers in HS wrestling.

Well said!!!!

I love Saturday tournaments.  I'm with you that they could be shortened though.  Youth tournaments in general have come a long way in shortening theirs. 

There are a couple positive way to look at the 7/7.  While Saturday's can be longer days with only having 7 nightly events you are home much earlier than another sports coach much of the time.  If a basketball team has 22 games that's 15 more nights that they don't see their kids before they go to bed. 

Also, it's not like the old days when only the winners are wrestling.  Kids now often get 4-5 matches and all continue to wrestle throughout the day.

No one said coaching was easy and I'm not willing to give up these tournaments.

If a coach wants to recoup their money they need for the sport run a camp or something. 

npope

Why? Is your wife on the forum?  ;)

Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

dman

I know I have commented on this topic, but well said.

MNbadger

The big difference is that at least in my experience, the basketball team is always done earlier than we are on week nights.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

DocWrestling

Baseball games have coaches home for dinner or shortly late.  Baseball sectionals are done during the school day.

Other sports Have more events but have most weekends off and if it is an occasional weekend it is a short day.

The number of Saturdays involved and the length of the Saturdays is what makes wrestling tougher on families.  Track has certainly been trending in a direction with less Saturdays but they can be similar to wrestling tournaments.  Coaches now are giving up 8+ Saturdays.  That is 2+ months.

I don't really want to compare sports too much because ALL HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS are hurting for coaches due to the many reasons stated plus dealing with parents.

Lots of people want to coach but the schedule just does not work.  Pushing more events to Friday nights helps and imagine if we simply combined regionals and sectionals into one weekend and did it all on a Friday.  Just gave coaches two more weekends with families and for fun and even more for the wrestlers and their families.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

I havent got the opinion that  anyone wants to limited anything. Just noticed that there seems to be alot of opening for coaching positions.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

I was just asking a question that I have noticed a few schools posting wrestling coaching positions and have heard word of mouth others are stepping down.

Just asking if a trend is starting. I will also add that coaching in other sports also have been looking for coaches so not just wrestling.

If this trend swings upward more, that will limited the wrestlers for sure. Finding balance is the big key, here.

I dont want to limit any wrestling but we could be starting a trend if it goes un noticed.

DocWrestling

Ask any AD and they will tell you that each year it gets tougher to find coaches and tougher to find officials in ALL sports

bulldog

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 02, 2021, 01:01:32 PM
Baseball games have coaches home for dinner or shortly late.  Baseball sectionals are done during the school day.

Other sports Have more events but have most weekends off and if it is an occasional weekend it is a short day.

The number of Saturdays involved and the length of the Saturdays is what makes wrestling tougher on families.  Track has certainly been trending in a direction with less Saturdays but they can be similar to wrestling tournaments.  Coaches now are giving up 8+ Saturdays.  That is 2+ months.

I don't really want to compare sports too much because ALL HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS are hurting for coaches due to the many reasons stated plus dealing with parents.

Lots of people want to coach but the schedule just does not work.  Pushing more events to Friday nights helps and imagine if we simply combined regional and sectionals into one weekend and did it all on a Friday.  Just gave coaches two more weekends with families and for fun and even more for the wrestlers and their families.

Doc...I think we usually agree but I am kind of at odds with you on some of your points.

Okay...I am all for triples and quads on a Friday night. As long as they start and end at a decent time. The tournaments that are an hour drive and the boys not getting home until 1:00 in the morning are horsecrap. And I can speak to a tournament that the bus was rolling in at that time. Then the weekend is shot anyway...the kid getting home at 1:00 in the morning is sleeping in until noon. I agree...getting up at 5:30 in a Saturday morning to go sit in a gym until 9:00 at night is goofy. That is on the AD and coaches from a scheduling standpoint. There is no WIAA rule that says your weekday matches have to start at 7:00 at night. Start scheduling them at 4:30 see how that goes.

But to run a 12-16 person tournament on a Friday night is only catering to the coaches who want weekends off. Tournaments can cut down on time. If coaches voice their displeasure to tournament organizers they will change.

Oh...and the comment about "dealing with parents"...think about where the teams would be without those parents. These threads are getting a little old bitching that the parents are the problem. I am betting the parents are loved when it comes time for fundraisers, to work concessions and to work youth events. Those painful parents were on the mat with that kid at 5 and got him/her to the point were they were competitive when they walked into your room.  So yeah...parents are awful.

And sectionals and regionals on one weekend on a Friday? Where are you going to have it? At a school? During school hours? How is that going to work out? This year with less teams Regionals starting at 10:00 some were not wrapping up until 4:00 in the afternoon...maybe later. There is going to have to be a major shift in thinking before a one day regional/sectional is going to happen.

Good luck with that campaign.

littleguy301

Friday night meets with a big travel.......maybe look at staying a night. Our team likes that and have some team and parent bonding.

We do a fund raiser for that and the kids like it.

All other sports have school days for events let's do that for wrestling. Look at spring sports lots of days out of school. Sure state is like that and during school the school has that one and the kids watch it and actually like that.

Start meets at 4 like we just did for this past season. We got in 3 duals and gym was all cleaned up and at home by 9 with 3 to 4 matches per kid. Worked well.

Alot can be done to make a high school season way better and more fun but with the restrictions of 7 and 7 we cannt do it at times.

DocWrestling

With the amount of school other sports miss I don't see any AD balking at letting kids out early or for the entire Friday two days in a season.