Quick question

Started by littleguy301, February 24, 2021, 11:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

Saturday tournaments are a positive for the wrestling die hards.  As a middle aged fan with no kids at home, I love them.  Often translates to large brackets and tough competition.  The problem is young coaches with families are not attracted to having to give up 6-7 Saturdays every winter.  It also is not popular with the kids.  We can rationalize it all we want, but the biggest complaint I heard from HS kids was having to wake up early and sacrifice so many Saturdays.

Wis-Mallard

The track meets are really long too! I'm not a track diehard.

bigoil

Quote from: Wis-Mallard on February 25, 2021, 05:24:56 PM
They are long, and seem to be brutal weather for the first few outdoor meets. Most people don't stay from the start of field vents to the 1600 relay though.

MNbadger

I can't believe anyone here has been to any swim meets if you are thinking wrestling is long/boring. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 25, 2021, 02:38:15 PM
Coaches,

I beg of you to start a trend.  Even if the 7/7 rule stays, you do not have to go to 7 Saturday tournaments.  Your wrestlers will thank you, their families and yours will thank you.  If they go to 2-3 less tournaments is that really going to change who they are at end of season.  I think many might get better from an hour Saturday morning practice if needed where it can be optional and you can work individually with kids.  Those are the Saturdays where you bring in your kids, etc and it is fun and relaxed and does not take up the whole day.  Maybe even bring in some middle school kids to roll around and get to know you.

If you can't just eliminate those matches then add some duals or triangulars to replace tournaments on some Friday nights or weeknights!

What if 3 non-conference programs got together and just had some live wrestling on a Friday after school?  Wouldnt all that live wrestling with a fun relaxed atmosphere be better and more wrestling than your kids will get sitting at a tournament all day Saturday.  Pretty sure you could do this if you called it one of your competitions.  Then take all the money you would have spent on refs, workers, etc and get the kids pizza and expand the brotherhood as wrestlers hang with kids from other teams.

YOU CAN DO IT DIFFERENTLY!  Even without rule changes

Getting together and wrestling live with any school is called a scrimmage and can be done once during the year  not sure that would fly in high school but works well in middle school actually works great!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: MNbadger on February 25, 2021, 04:32:21 PM
To add:  If we in MN had to do all the weight descent stuff you guys do in WI, I would literally resign on the spot.
I definitely feel for you there.

Another really poor idea. Plus the wiaa needs to give every wrestler their own pass word so they can follow their own. You certainly dont give out the coaches to track.

Also, peinting out each weight decent for the kids is a pain.

littleguy301

Toss in weight room time and open gyms during summer months as part of coaching and it chews up alot of time.

imnofish

One thing that really needs to be considered is the fact that teachers' jobs are increasingly demanding, stressful, and time consuming.  Over the past decade, I've seen a lot of teacher-coaches of all sports stop coaching.  According to several I've talked to, it was necessary just to keep their heads above water. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

DocWrestling

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 25, 2021, 11:33:29 PM
Coaches,

I beg of you to start a trend.  Even if the 7/7 rule stays, you do not have to go to 7 Saturday tournaments.  Your wrestlers will thank you, their families and yours will thank you.  If they go to 2-3 less tournaments is that really going to change who they are at end of season.  I think many might get better from an hour Saturday morning practice if needed where it can be optional and you can work individually with kids.  Those are the Saturdays where you bring in your kids, etc and it is fun and relaxed and does not take up the whole day.  Maybe even bring in some middle school kids to roll around and get to know you.

If you can't just eliminate those matches then add some duals or triangulars to replace tournaments on some Friday nights or weeknights!

What if 3 non-conference programs got together and just had some live wrestling on a Friday after school?  Wouldnt all that live wrestling with a fun relaxed atmosphere be better and more wrestling than your kids will get sitting at a tournament all day Saturday.  Pretty sure you could do this if you called it one of your competitions.  Then take all the money you would have spent on refs, workers, etc and get the kids pizza and expand the brotherhood as wrestlers hang with kids from other teams.

Getting together and wrestling live with any school is called a scrimmage and can be done once during the year  not sure that would fly in high school but works well in middle school actually works great!

Couldn't you just call it a competition?   What is the WIAA definition of a competition?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 26, 2021, 08:07:38 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 25, 2021, 11:33:29 PM
Coaches,

Couldn't you just call it a competition?   What is the WIAA definition of a competition?

If no points are scored then scrimmage. Maybe it is no refs. You are allowed one of these types a year.

littleguy301

Yep. Had one of mine do the discus and the mile  :o

DocWrestling

I guess I just interpret the WIAA rule as you are allowed 1 scrimmage plus 7/7.  But couldn't you have another scrimmage if you eliminate  one tournament and count that 2nd scrimmage as an event?   I wonder what they would say.  Imagine wrestlers from different teams drilling with each other and live wrestling for two hours rather than 6 minutes.  Why would the WIAA be against that? Wouldn't that benefit your wrestlers more than an all day tournament?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Wis-Mallard

The coaches have to stay for the entire event.

Quote from: bigoil on February 25, 2021, 06:11:55 PM
They are long, and seem to be brutal weather for the first few outdoor meets. Most people don't stay from the start of field vents to the 1600 relay though.

bigoil

Quote from: Wis-Mallard on February 26, 2021, 12:20:10 PM
The coaches have to stay for the entire event.

Quote from: bigoil on February 25, 2021, 06:11:55 PM
Understood, I was taking it from a spectator...I also stayed for the full events because despite the Pit being open, my daughter took her time taking her 3 jumps, so then finals are pushed back and then she did the same thing in the Triple. Some cold days out there next to the sand :)

bigoil

Wrightstown went to a couple multi duals/dual tournaments on Friday nights that was awesome for the kids and parents.

Agreed multi duals mid week suck, we had a quad conference meet a couple of years ago and it was after 11:00 when we finished wrestling Freedom.