Anybody notice a big stall call difference at Team state competition?

Started by Lombardi, February 22, 2021, 12:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lombardi

I have been around wrestling as a coach for over 30 years and I have to say that I've never witnessed as many stall calls in one match as were handed out like Halloween candy to kids at the State championship match between Mineral Point and Coleman.  The most important match of the year in an exciting matchup was constantly interrupted by calls that were made quickly and often.  There had to be well over 20 stall calls made in just one match that had coaches, wrestlers and fans baffled as to why such a radical change was made at this moment.  The calls did not affect the outcome of the match and it was awesome watching 2 historic programs battle back and forth for the evening.  Stall calls were made from every postion possible, even in definite stalemate positions.  Mineral Points Hwt was 1 stall call away from being DQ'd and would've affected the outcome of the match.  I'm not saying there wasn't stalling but I am stating that it was so far over the top it was ridiculous.  I hope the WIAA will review the match and use as a sample of how not to call a match.   

DKelly28

Kinda funny that this post is about the D3 Finals Match when there was a stalling call that led to a DQ in the D2 Finals Match at 160 with about 20-30 seconds left in the match.

Now I wasn't there and I only had the radio broadcast available so I can't really give an opinion on the call itself but its interesting to see a very similar situation play out in D3.

Wis-Mallard

I just remember it as a great finals match. I like it when they call stalling. The better question might be why don't they call stalling more frequently in the regular season. If you don't call stalling, then you can get really boring wrestling where the defensive kid doesn't do anything except for a couple bursts the entire match. I prefer college officiating where you know they are going to call stalling. The action or stalling call out of bounds in college wrestling is a good thing.

drbrad

Quote from: DKelly28 on February 22, 2021, 06:37:57 AM
Kinda funny that this post is about the D3 Finals Match when there was a stalling call that led to a DQ in the D2 Finals Match at 160 with about 20-30 seconds left in the match.

Now I wasn't there and I only had the radio broadcast available so I can't really give an opinion on the call itself but its interesting to see a very similar situation play out in D3.

Being there in person, that 160 lb match in D2 was called exactly right in the spirit of the DQ rule IMHO. Biased, of course, but that was a clear case of stalling to save team points. PDC barely moved on bottom the entire match, and the DQ rule was clearly written so that teams aren't rewarded for laying flat and grabbing hands. Also may have been a "continuation" of what the ref saw earlier in the 285 match, where the same thing happened but not enough time on bottom to reach DQ. In that case, PDC saved 3 points by avoiding pin against Beese. Can't blame the kids or coaches for trying to win a dual. But that is why the stalling rules are written the way they are. Amery also had a case of sending a kid out against someone really superior to work hard on bottom to avoid the pin. But in that case, Amery wrestler absolutely busted his butt to work off the mat all the way to the end.

drbrad

Quote from: Wis-Mallard on February 22, 2021, 07:15:06 AM
I just remember it as a great finals match. I like it when they call stalling. The better question might be why don't they call stalling more frequently in the regular season. If you don't call stalling, then you can get really boring wrestling where the defensive kid doesn't do anything except for a couple bursts the entire match. I prefer college officiating where you know they are going to call stalling. The action or stalling call out of bounds in college wrestling is a good thing.

Interesting. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the D2 ref DOES do some college reffing as well.

panther93

I love Refs that consistantly call stalling.  It shouldn't just be called in the 3rd period.  I really wish that Refs (I know it is a hard job) would ask me for video of matches or duals so they could critique themselves on how they ref.  I think that many would see their biased toward that 3rd period stall.  I'd like to see more stalling calls instead of less.

IMO: if we went to the college rule of one point of contact inbounds wrestling would be so much better.  I loved seeing it at the Dells tournament over the Christmas Break.  More action and harder to ride the line.

Raiderfan

I did also see the D2 finals and at 160 the stall calls were definitely deserved.  At the D2 individual tournament though I did see some highly questionable stall calls.

Numbers

There was a stall call with a few seconds left in the third period of a match at middle school team state on Saturday.  The stall point gave the team a tech fall instead of a major decision.  This was not a kid on bottom with his head on the mat.  Bottom was unable to get up from his base.

Interesting calls happen.

Keaton Kluever

Quote from: Lombardi on February 22, 2021, 12:59:45 AM
I have been around wrestling as a coach for over 30 years and I have to say that I've never witnessed as many stall calls in one match as were handed out like Halloween candy to kids at the State championship match between Mineral Point and Coleman.  The most important match of the year in an exciting matchup was constantly interrupted by calls that were made quickly and often.  There had to be well over 20 stall calls made in just one match that had coaches, wrestlers and fans baffled as to why such a radical change was made at this moment.  The calls did not affect the outcome of the match and it was awesome watching 2 historic programs battle back and forth for the evening.  Stall calls were made from every postion possible, even in definite stalemate positions.  Mineral Points Hwt was 1 stall call away from being DQ'd and would've affected the outcome of the match.  I'm not saying there wasn't stalling but I am stating that it was so far over the top it was ridiculous.  I hope the WIAA will review the match and use as a sample of how not to call a match.

I only watched division 1 so I can only talk from that tournament. First off I think we need to thank the officials for allowing us to have a state tournament this year. If they didn't feel comfortable reffing then we would've been left with no state so first off thanks to them. But to answer your question yes and this happens every single year. Minus 2013 d1 state finals... I think when I competed in the state finals for team since 2015 kaukauna has had a guy DQ on stalls at team state where if it were regular season no way would it be called that way. I don't know the reasoning why at team state stalling is called so often and so quick. Like in the finals in one match 9 second in stoughton got hit for stalling which is way to quick. I think officials need to understand when and when not to put themselves in matches. There are obvious stall calls and also sometimes action is happening but they somehow see stalling. With it being called so easy it has made people purposely look for stalling calls you could see it guys would be on top acting like they're going for a turn just to get the call because a DQ was more likely than pining the guy. I don't know the answer to fixing it but yes it was quite obvious the change in stalling from even individual state to team state. I know it's easy for me to say from the outside but i really think it could be changed.

chucker66

The stalling rules have changed the last 2 years so more stalling will be called.  A few years back everyone was complaining about not enough stalling.  Can't please everyone.

DarkKnight

Quote from: Lombardi on February 22, 2021, 12:59:45 AM

It wasn't too out of control, although some clear stalemates that shouldn't have been stalling, as you state. I thought it was nearly consistent to both teams, so it was mostly fair.

The MP HWT was constantly stalling, backing up, keeping the Coleman HWT from getting more points and a potential tie up which would put him on his back.... so, he did his job and helped his team win the team title. I would have done the same thing as him, so no worries.

Mineral Point deserved the title and had a great year. Fiedler built and led a great team. I'm sure they'll be back next year. Great program which will battle with Fennimore and Iowa Grant next year, too early to predict who has the upper hand there.

factfinder

I watched both Wisconsin and Minnesota big school team state and MN called 2x more stall calls, it was crazy and excessive!! Clearly the rules have changed to force more action. I am OK with it but team state seem's just to much.

chucker66

You ever think that maybe just maybe more stalling is called becasue there is more stalling? What do you think the coaches tell the kid going up against the state champ when they know he can't win? 

WINfan

I don't care how much they call stalling.  It should be consistent throughout the season.   Treat all matches equally.   Also,  Being up by 1 in the third period at the state tournament should not be an automatic stalling.