way too early 2021-2022 line up

Started by dad 2 5, February 20, 2021, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

Quote from: npope on May 18, 2021, 11:02:38 AM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 18, 2021, 10:51:04 AM
hoping the first week of June we hear, "It is a great day to be a Badger!" with a transfer

Is there something in the pipeline that you are aware of, or is this just a generic wish you are making?

Just a hunch, I see the Volleyball team picked up a transfer from Iowa of all places (no connection)

BuckyMatt

Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 18, 2021, 05:25:13 PM
hoping the first week of June we hear, "It is a great day to be a Badger!" with a transfer

Is there something in the pipeline that you are aware of, or is this just a generic wish you are making?

Just a hunch, I see the Volleyball team picked up a transfer from Iowa of all places (no connection)

Official visits can restart June 1st or 2nd  too!

dad 2 5

Quote from: BuckyMatt on May 18, 2021, 08:48:10 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 18, 2021, 05:25:13 PM

Official visits can restart June 1st or 2nd  too!

That is what i was thinking! Let's see if there is a good catch on the line!!

littleguy301

Quote from: MNbadger on May 14, 2021, 11:48:05 AM
When we have athletes competing and "able" to go to school for 6 years it makes for economic inequities.  I think if it were fours years like the DIII we would have more parity as well.  It is very unlikely to happen however with college football being the development arm of the NFL.  Too much money there for it to change.
Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 14, 2021, 10:59:52 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on May 14, 2021, 10:48:00 AM
I actually believe DI sports should be like DIII.  You get fours years, period.  If there were no red shirting it would change little as everyone would be on the same page.

Very interesting idea. Four years running clock. Start when you want but when you start you have 4 years (I believe that is how it is done in DIII). It would hurt the kids who lose a year to injury but it would be fair for all. With a red inappropriate term5, medical red shirt and potentially Olympic red shirts an athlete can be in school a long time. Does not make a lot of sense to have athletes in their 6th or 7th year competing against 18 year old athletes.

Kind of crazy idea MN but I think I like it.

Choose for their sport? Uff da not sure but I would guess many do.

Well I would guess I'd no Olympic red shirt then we arent going to be sending possibly our best to the Olympics.

Their are many 5 year D3 kids. Just ways around it if your creative.

I think your right on football but money plays a roll in getting your education also.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

vsmf2010

Quote from: littleguy301 on May 20, 2021, 09:08:55 AM
When we have athletes competing and "able" to go to school for 6 years it makes for economic inequities.  I think if it were fours years like the DIII we would have more parity as well.  It is very unlikely to happen however with college football being the development arm of the NFL.  Too much money there for it to change.
I actually believe DI sports should be like DIII.  You get fours years, period.  If there were no red shirting it would change little as everyone would be on the same page.

Very interesting idea. Four years running clock. Start when you want but when you start you have 4 years (I believe that is how it is done in DIII). It would hurt the kids who lose a year to injury but it would be fair for all. With a red inappropriate term5, medical red shirt and potentially Olympic red shirts an athlete can be in school a long time. Does not make a lot of sense to have athletes in their 6th or 7th year competing against 18 year old athletes.

Well I would guess I'd no Olympic red shirt then we aren't going to be sending possibly our best to the Olympics.

I think your right on football but money plays a roll in getting your education also.

I am not sure how much of an issue this would be. I am not 100% sure as far as Greco but for freestyle the only college wrestler on the Olympic team (Gable) never redshirted and the only other one who likely could have made the team (if not for injury) Spencer Lee, never redshirted either. Fix did take a couple of redshirts as did Vito (not technically sure if the first year was a redshirt) but they did not make the team so sending our best was not an issue here. From this data you could make the argument that wrestling in college (Gable and Lee) was a better way to prepare to make the Olympic team.

littleguy301

Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 20, 2021, 12:36:38 PM

Well I would guess I'd no Olympic red shirt then we aren't going to be sending possibly our best to the Olympics.

I am not sure how much of an issue this would be. I am not 100% sure as far as Greco but for freestyle the only college wrestler on the Olympic team (Gable) never redshirted and the only other one who likely could have made the team (if not for injury) Spencer Lee, never redshirted either. Fix did take a couple of redshirts as did Vito (not technically sure if the first year was a redshirt) but they did not make the team so sending our best was not an issue here. From this data you could make the argument that wrestling in college (Gable and Lee) was a better way to prepare to make the Olympic team.

In years past many of former Olympic wrestlers took at one time a redshirt during college to get international experience. Some have done it at different times though. One could argue synder did it his senior year of high school. Gable was on the international scene as a high school and wrestling up age divisions. Plus with the schedule has has kept and the gophers allowed that no need for him to redshirt. Gable is a complete different animal than most.

Outside dake and Gable most others have taken time though what is dake late 20"s so.......took him several years to get to this point.

Injuries also play into whether college kids can complete 4 years straight. Wrestling is a tough sport.

Also if the NCAA it 4 years and done would guys go to college if their goal was a medal at the Olympics? I would think there would be a couple that may by pass college. I am sure some would also go.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

vsmf2010

Quote from: littleguy301 on May 20, 2021, 02:00:11 PM

In years past many of former Olympic wrestlers took at one time a redshirt during college to get international experience. Some have done it at different times though. One could argue synder did it his senior year of high school. Gable was on the international scene as a high school and wrestling up age divisions. Plus with the schedule has has kept and the gophers allowed that no need for him to redshirt. Gable is a complete different animal than most.

Outside dake and Gable most others have taken time though what is dake late 20"s so.......took him several years to get to this point.

Injuries also play into whether college kids can complete 4 years straight. Wrestling is a tough sport.

Also if the NCAA it 4 years and done would guys go to college if their goal was a medal at the Olympics? I would think there would be a couple that may by pass college. I am sure some would also go.

All good points for sure. With the 4 years and done I could see high level wrestlers wrestling in college for 3 years in between Olympic cycles and that being it.

npope

Well, Olympic gold medalist Cejudo never even went to college. Not sure what that does to theory being proposed, but... he certainly didn't need a "redshirt" year to prepare for the international scene.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

tigerking

Possible 165s to fill the gap for Wick's departure in the transfer portal:

Bo Pipher PSU
Ben Barton Campell

I don't foresee Griffith coming. It was slim pickings for 157 and 165 pounders. I believe Barton won a SoCon Title last year. If Dow can make 165, I think he may be our best option at this point.

vsmf2010

Quote from: tigerking on May 21, 2021, 09:31:32 AM
Possible 165s to fill the gap for Wick's departure in the transfer portal:

Bo Pipher PSU
Ben Barton Campell

I don't foresee Griffith coming. It was slim pickings for 157 and 165 pounders. I believe Barton won a SoCon Title last year. If Dow can make 165, I think he may be our best option at this point.

I am hopeful that Griffith will stay at Stanford now that wrestling is back but I believe he will earn his degree this summer so who knows.

MNbadger

They used to go to college, wrestle and then pursue the Olympic thing.  In fact, over all I think more wrestlers have done that than like thing have been more recently.
Quote from: littleguy301 on May 20, 2021, 02:00:11 PM

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Current Roster Projection:

125 Eric Barnett / Ethan Rotondo 
133 Kyle Burwick / Cole Bavery (RS)
141 Austin Gomez / Dom Dentino / Trey Escobar
149 Drew Scharenbrock / Joey Zargo RS / Dan Stilling (RS) / Aiden Medora (RS) / Cole Carroll (RS)
157 Garrett Model / Devin Bahr / Kevin Meicher / Cody Anderson (RS) 
165 Josh Otto / Gavin Model (RS) / Dean Hamiti (RS)
174 Andrew McNally / Tyler Dow / Anders Lantz
184 Chris Weiler / Graham Calhoun (RS)
197 Braxton Amos / Andrew Salemme / Brooks Empey (RS)
285 Trent Hillger / Pete Christensen / Hayden Copass (RS)
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on June 02, 2021, 10:17:33 AM

149 Drew Scharenbrock / Joey Zargo RS / Dan Stilling (RS) / Aiden Medora (RS) / Cole Carroll (RS)

Nice looking lineup and I don't think Bono and company are done adding/improving to it!

Harris

I think Hamiti is good enough to start somewhere as well if he develops quickly.  I can't wait to see how Otto improves.  He had a tough year last year.  I also think Tyler Dow, Garret Model, or Devin Bahr would look good at 165.  Losing Wick opens things up quite a bit and the remaining wrestlers will have a lot of time to get ready for the season at that weight.  Should be fun to see how it all shakes out.  It would be awesome to see some high level improvements with the middle of the line up.  I hope Bono puts the best wrestlers on the mat at each weight regardless of redshirts after last season ;D

rjchev141

Quote from: Harris on June 02, 2021, 01:58:19 PM

I think Hamiti is good enough to start somewhere as well if he develops quickly.  I can't wait to see how Otto improves.  He had a tough year last year.  I also think Tyler Dow, Garret Model, or Devin Bahr would look good at 165.  Losing Wick opens things up quite a bit and the remaining wrestlers will have a lot of time to get ready for the season at that weight.  Should be fun to see how it all shakes out.  It would be awesome to see some high level improvements with the middle of the line up.  I hope Bono puts the best wrestlers on the mat at each weight regardless of redshirts after last season ;D

My guess at the best possible lineup (at this given moment, fingers crossed that things are in the works yet):
125 Eric Barnett 
133 Kyle Burwick
141 Austin Gomez
149 Drew Scharenbrock
157 Dean Hamiti 
165 Tyler Dow
174 Andrew McNally
184 Chris Weiler
197 Braxton Amos
285 Trent Hillger
No idea though if Hamiti can make 157 or if Dow can make 165???