way too early 2021-2022 line up

Started by dad 2 5, February 20, 2021, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

Quote from: MakingABadgerer on April 24, 2021, 07:40:21 PM
If everyone stays healthy this will be a good team.  We have had some starters leave, many theories have been discussed, the most realistic one being that the status quo of being content with starting will not cut it with these new guys coming in and pushing the envelope.  There will be plenty of excuses/reasons but as some guys decide they prefer a different route, there will be others who decide they want to transfer in and improve their skills with these young guys as teammates.  We're already seeing it and I suspect we'll see more.  The Bono haters will criticize when someone leaves, the rest of us will smile when someone like McNally comes in.  With Covid (hopefully) behind us, the coaches will be allowed to recruit/coach and the team will be able to use the facilities.

This incoming freshman class (the true freshmen and the grayshirts) is going to be fun to watch.  They're going to improve with guys like Wick/McNally/Weiler/Hilger beating them up in the room and showing them the ropes of college wrestling.

I am very excited about Hamiti and Zargo, both have big frames and are going to grow while they're here.
The expectations for Amos are high.  The photos of Braxton/Bono/Reader at Last Chance & Olympic Trials are recruiting brochures.  He's been very candid with the media that he is jumping levels in this room.  Don't be shocked if a high level 184 comes to Madison within the next year or two to work out with Braxton.
Hearing that both Weiler and Trent's surgeries went well.  Chris staying healthy means a higher finish at NCAA and the ability to redshirt Calhoun.  If Thor stays healthy then another All American finish is in the cards, having Pete on a redshirt and Copass on a redshirt (or even better, a gray shirt) this year sets the deck even more for the future. 

I'm excited to see what our guys do at Juniors next week.

I don't have any inside information about 141, just looked at the portal and made a wish list in no particular order.  Along with our lineup around 141, having Bono and Gross in the room to scrap has to be enticing. 

125 Barnett (So)           Rotundo (Jr)
133 Burwick (Fr)           Dentino (So)
141 The Portal: Gomez (Jr) Tagg (F) Woods (So)  Villareal (Fr)         
149 Zargo (Fr)            Scharenbrock (So)/Medora (Fr)
157 Hamiti (Fr)           Model (Jr)/Bahr (Jr)
165 Wick (Sr)            Otto (Fr)
174 McNally (Sr)        Dow (So)
184 Weiler (Sr)          Calhoun (Fr)
197 Amos (Fr)           Empey (Fr)
285 Hillger (Jr)         Christensen (So)

Going off Makeabadger with the change of Wick. How do we think this looks?

125 Barnett (J)           Rotundo (Se)
133 Burwick (So)           Dentino (J)
141 Escobar (So)         Stilling (J)
149 Zargo (Fr)            Scharenbrock (J)/Medora (Fr)
157 Hamiti (Fr)           Model (Se)/Bahr (Se)
165 Otto (So)           
174 McNally (Sr)        Dow (J)
184 Weiler (Sr+)          Calhoun (Fr)
285 Hillger (Se)         Christensen (J)
Barnett solid, qualifier, could repeat as AA
Burwick shows something special, qualifier
41 need some help, not many wins
Zargo on paper looks great but let's see, It's the B1G and tough to get wins (same with Hamiti)
Hamiti on paper looks great, but let's see. I like the possibility of Model or Bahr. Both have shown they can win
Otto, some wins but let's see if he can make a jump up
McNally, healthy and qualifier and could be AA
Weiler, healthy and qualifier and maybe AA
Amos, huge! AA and maybe high AA
Hillger solid and would expect to AA as long as recovery goes well

A lot of hope but a lot of "let's see"

Harris

How good do you think Tyler Dow would be at 165 next year if he could make it?  I think he would have a break out year.  I think it would be awesome if he walked into Bono's office the day Wick entered the portal and said he was taking that spot!  Let's go Tyler Dow :)

tigerking

Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 13, 2021, 01:35:05 PM
If everyone stays healthy this will be a good team.  We have had some starters leave, many theories have been discussed, the most realistic one being that the status quo of being content with starting will not cut it with these new guys coming in and pushing the envelope.  There will be plenty of excuses/reasons but as some guys decide they prefer a different route, there will be others who decide they want to transfer in and improve their skills with these young guys as teammates.  We're already seeing it and I suspect we'll see more.  The Bono haters will criticize when someone leaves, the rest of us will smile when someone like McNally comes in.  With Covid (hopefully) behind us, the coaches will be allowed to recruit/coach and the team will be able to use the facilities.

This incoming freshman class (the true freshmen and the grayshirts) is going to be fun to watch.  They're going to improve with guys like Wick/McNally/Weiler/Hilger beating them up in the room and showing them the ropes of college wrestling.

I am very excited about Hamiti and Zargo, both have big frames and are going to grow while they're here.
The expectations for Amos are high.  The photos of Braxton/Bono/Reader at Last Chance & Olympic Trials are recruiting brochures.  He's been very candid with the media that he is jumping levels in this room.  Don't be shocked if a high level 184 comes to Madison within the next year or two to work out with Braxton.
Hearing that both Weiler and Trent's surgeries went well.  Chris staying healthy means a higher finish at NCAA and the ability to redshirt Calhoun.  If Thor stays healthy then another All American finish is in the cards, having Pete on a redshirt and Copass on a redshirt (or even better, a gray shirt) this year sets the deck even more for the future. 

I'm excited to see what our guys do at Juniors next week.

I don't have any inside information about 141, just looked at the portal and made a wish list in no particular order.  Along with our lineup around 141, having Bono and Gross in the room to scrap has to be enticing. 

125 Barnett (So)           Rotundo (Jr)
133 Burwick (Fr)           Dentino (So)
141 The Portal: Gomez (Jr) Tagg (F) Woods (So)  Villareal (Fr)         
149 Zargo (Fr)            Scharenbrock (So)/Medora (Fr)
157 Hamiti (Fr)           Model (Jr)/Bahr (Jr)
165 Wick (Sr)            Otto (Fr)
174 McNally (Sr)        Dow (So)
184 Weiler (Sr)          Calhoun (Fr)
285 Hillger (Jr)         Christensen (So)

Going off Makeabadger with the change of Wick. How do we think this looks?

125 Barnett (J)           Rotundo (Se)
133 Burwick (So)           Dentino (J)
141 Escobar (So)         Stilling (J)
149 Zargo (Fr)            Scharenbrock (J)/Medora (Fr)
157 Hamiti (Fr)           Model (Se)/Bahr (Se)
165 Otto (So)           
174 McNally (Sr)        Dow (J)
184 Weiler (Sr+)          Calhoun (Fr)
285 Hillger (Se)         Christensen (J)
Barnett solid, qualifier, could repeat as AA
Burwick shows something special, qualifier
41 need some help, not many wins
Zargo on paper looks great but let's see, It's the B1G and tough to get wins (same with Hamiti)
Hamiti on paper looks great, but let's see. I like the possibility of Model or Bahr. Both have shown they can win
Otto, some wins but let's see if he can make a jump up
McNally, healthy and qualifier and could be AA
Weiler, healthy and qualifier and maybe AA
Amos, huge! AA and maybe high AA
Hillger solid and would expect to AA as long as recovery goes well

A lot of hope but a lot of "let's see"

I think the Zargo and Scharenbrock wrestle off would go back and forth. Scharenbrock had his moments this year and was able to compete with high level guys at times. I could see that spot going either way.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Harris on May 13, 2021, 02:39:07 PM
How good do you think Tyler Dow would be at 165 next year if he could make it?  I think he would have a break out year.  I think it would be awesome if he walked into Bono's office the day Wick entered the portal and said he was taking that spot!  Let's go Tyler Dow :).

agree!

dad 2 5

Quote from: tigerking on May 13, 2021, 02:40:06 PM

I think the Zargo and Scharenbrock wrestle off would go back and forth. Scharenbrock had his moments this year and was able to compete with high level guys at times. I could see that spot going either way.

And Zargo getting that redshirt year would most likely be a good thing.

Be a different trend but fits, I think more freshmen start now with the OPEN transfer rule. A coach is not going to want to give another program an extra year of development. Thoughts? I personally don't think  this rule helps teach the young people anything accept for NOT being committed to team and teammates and a school. They did come to the school for a degree right? guess NOT!

MNbadger

They can get a degree at either school.  They are moving for what they see as a better opportunity in regard to wrestling.
Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 13, 2021, 02:52:35 PM

Be a different trend but fits, I think more freshmen start now with the OPEN transfer rule. A coach is not going to want to give another program an extra year of development. Thoughts? I personally don't think  this rule helps teach the young people anything accept for NOT being committed to team and teammates and a school. They did come to the school for a degree right? guess NOT!
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

tigerking

Quote from: MNbadger on May 13, 2021, 04:02:53 PM
They can get a degree at either school.  They are moving for what they see as a better opportunity in regard to wrestling.
Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 13, 2021, 02:52:35 PM

I think the rule needs work, but I honestly don't mind it. Coaches can leave a school without sitting out, why can't the athletes. Also with COVID and the limited amount of campus/coaching visits with recruits, I think there are going to be guys who don't pick the right school for them. I could see the NCAA making it so you can only transfer one time or maybe you have to leave the conference if you are transferring.

The only thing I worry about with this rule is I could see coaches contacting wrestlers on other teams about transferring to their school. Judging off of social media posts, this seems like it is already happening a little bit and I think this rule could make this problem occur more frequently.

Gutwrench

Interesting point MN regarding the transfer portal ramifications.  I could easily see a coach reluctant to do a red shirt on someone because it could end up being a free year of development for some other program.

MNbadger

I am not saying I am in favor of all this, just that one can get a degree from any institution.  Truthfully, I feel an athlete should choose the school for their sport.  People from every academic institution succeed in all areas after graduation. 
I actually believe DI sports should be like DIII.  You get fours years, period.  If there were no red shirting it would change little as everyone would be on the same page. 
Quote from: Gutwrench on May 14, 2021, 08:55:38 AM
Interesting point MN regarding the transfer portal ramifications.  I could easily see a coach reluctant to do a red shirt on someone because it could end up being a free year of development for some other program.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

vsmf2010

Quote from: MNbadger on May 14, 2021, 10:48:00 AM
I actually believe DI sports should be like DIII.  You get fours years, period.  If there were no red shirting it would change little as everyone would be on the same page.

Very interesting idea. Four years running clock. Start when you want but when you start you have 4 years (I believe that is how it is done in DIII). It would hurt the kids who lose a year to injury but it would be fair for all. With a red (shirt), medical red shirt and potentially Olympic red shirts an athlete can be in school a long time. Does not make a lot of sense to have athletes in their 6th or 7th year competing against 18 year old athletes.

Kind of crazy idea MN but I think I like it.

MNbadger

When we have athletes competing and "able" to go to school for 6 years it makes for economic inequities.  I think if it were fours years like the DIII we would have more parity as well.  It is very unlikely to happen however with college football being the development arm of the NFL.  Too much money there for it to change.
Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 14, 2021, 10:59:52 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on May 14, 2021, 10:48:00 AM

Very interesting idea. Four years running clock. Start when you want but when you start you have 4 years (I believe that is how it is done in DIII). It would hurt the kids who lose a year to injury but it would be fair for all. With a red inappropriate term5, medical red shirt and potentially Olympic red shirts an athlete can be in school a long time. Does not make a lot of sense to have athletes in their 6th or 7th year competing against 18 year old athletes.

Kind of crazy idea MN but I think I like it.

Gutwrench

Schools like BYU and Utah could be at a disadvantage with a significant % of their student athletes serving 2 year missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Unless the athletes hold off the start of their eligibility until after their mission concludes.

Not that this idea would actually ever happen.  Just fun to discuss.

Beats reading another Aaron Rodgers drama story.

imwi

Don't they usually do their mission trips before starting college?

dad 2 5

hoping the first week of June we hear, "It is a great day to be a Badger!" with a transfer

npope

Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 18, 2021, 10:51:04 AM
hoping the first week of June we hear, "It is a great day to be a Badger!" with a transfer

Is there something in the pipeline that you are aware of, or is this just a generic wish you are making?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope