way too early 2021-2022 line up

Started by dad 2 5, February 20, 2021, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Quote from: Harris on April 25, 2021, 07:53:20 PM
I wouldn't mind cherry picking one or two from Minnesota as well:

182 Ryder Rogotzke, Stillwater, MN, Pinnacle Wrestling Club, 3rd MN State, 1st 2021 Cadet Greco Nationals, 3rd 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals

220 Gavin Nelson, Simley, MN, Simley Wrestling Club, 1st MN State, 1st 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (From Kirkvliets hometown) 92KG

5 tech falls and outscored his opponents 53-1.  Pretty Impressive!

I hear Nelson actually lives and is from the Freedom/Little Chute area. Moved to the cities in 7th grade but goes back to Wisconsin often. Also Kirkvliet got his start in wrestling in Wisconsin until 7th grade then moved to Inver Grove. I do not think Minnesota let's those 2 leave the state of Minnesota.

Harris

I was also super impressed with this Illinois wrestler who was in a really tough bracket:

120 Kannon Webster, Washington Il, IL State Champion, 5th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals 55KG

He lives about 3 hours from Madison.

hammer

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on April 25, 2021, 10:04:03 PM
Quote from: hammer on April 25, 2021, 05:51:19 PM
Quote from: Harris on April 25, 2021, 11:33:26 AM
I hope the Badger coaching staff is looking at Koy Hopke from Amery.  He almost beat Jim Mullen from NJ at the Cadet World Team Trials in the semi's.  Koy is an impressive young wrestler who won state as a 220lb freshman.

Agreed and very raw. Pretty average wrestler but great athlete that knows how to win! Image if he got some fine tunning how good he would be! I see he was wearing a pinnacle singlet so help maybe on the way!

"Pretty average wrestler."   Are you on quaaludes?

Probably a poor choice of words. Really raw with his skill set not as polished at this time. Once he gets that polish on his skill set he is going to be almost unstoppable! He wrestles through positions and is very, very good with his hips and a good athlete plus he has won at every level he has competed at! Wasnt trying to rip on him at all. Just noticed a few things during his matches that formed my opinion. Plus his age he is pretty young and from what I have been told not alot of club time either which makes what he has done more amazing!

npope

Quote from: bigoil on April 25, 2021, 06:49:22 PM
We have to consider some of the talent we have on the UW talent when looking at these guys ages and weight. Obviously the freshman make a ton of sense but if it is at a weight like Hamiti or Amos and they are a year younger, I'm not sure there will be a great fit for the wrestler/scholarship opportunities.

Definitely a good point. Just because they are rare talents, doesn't do anyone any good to give good scholarship money to guys who will never make the lineup or make it only once during their career. And if the Badgers were to stock pile talent, it should be in the lower weights where guys can move around and fill in where needed. So, Hopke and Ramberg are great, but we are pretty-well stocked with the big boys. On a different note, the Gophers do a pretty good job of poaching those Northwestern WI boys - kinda doubt Bono will get a whiff of them.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

littleguy301

Quote from: npope on April 26, 2021, 06:43:40 AM
Quote from: bigoil on April 25, 2021, 06:49:22 PM
We have to consider some of the talent we have on the UW talent when looking at these guys ages and weight. Obviously the freshman make a ton of sense but if it is at a weight like Hamiti or Amos and they are a year younger, I'm not sure there will be a great fit for the wrestler/scholarship opportunities.

Definitely a good point. Just because they are rare talents, doesn't do anyone any good to give good scholarship money to guys who will never make the lineup or make it only once during their career. And if the Badgers were to stock pile talent, it should be in the lower weights where guys can move around and fill in where needed. So, Hopke and Ramberg are great, but we are pretty-well stocked with the big boys. On a different note, the Gophers do a pretty good job of poaching those Northwestern WI boys - kinda doubt Bono will get a whiff of them.

The Badgers have a in coming 4 year beast for 197 add in a returning AA at HWT with a heck of a solid in coming recruit plus Christianson and the upper weights are stacked to say the least. Wisconsin is doing a great job of landing national recruits for sure.

I will say that Hopke has 3 years of high school left so if your into math that makes it quite interesting for the future.

Yes in these parts the gophers, sdsu, ndsu, Wyoming and a couple of D2 colleges certainly are all over these parts really hard along with some eastern time zone schools.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: hammer on April 26, 2021, 05:05:26 AM
Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on April 25, 2021, 10:04:03 PM
Quote from: hammer on April 25, 2021, 05:51:19 PM
Quote from: Harris on April 25, 2021, 11:33:26 AM
I hope the Badger coaching staff is looking at Koy Hopke from Amery.  He almost beat Jim Mullen from NJ at the Cadet World Team Trials in the semi's.  Koy is an impressive young wrestler who won state as a 220lb freshman.

Agreed and very raw. Pretty average wrestler but great athlete that knows how to win! Image if he got some fine tunning how good he would be! I see he was wearing a pinnacle singlet so help maybe on the way!

"Pretty average wrestler."   Are you on quaaludes?

Probably a poor choice of words. Really raw with his skill set not as polished at this time. Once he gets that polish on his skill set he is going to be almost unstoppable! He wrestles through positions and is very, very good with his hips and a good athlete plus he has won at every level he has competed at! Wasnt trying to rip on him at all. Just noticed a few things during his matches that formed my opinion. Plus his age he is pretty young and from what I have been told not alot of club time either which makes what he has done more amazing!

Hopke is a 3 sport athlete. He has done very well for sure not being a wrestling focused at all times. He has had some very good coaching so far but I think what hammer is saying now that he is doing alot more wrestling your going to see his wrestling take a monster jump if that is possible ;D

GoodGod

Kannon Webster verballed to Illinois, Poeta's influence being felt already.

Harris

Quote from: GoodGod on April 27, 2021, 11:39:37 AM
Kannon Webster verballed to Illinois, Poeta's influence being felt already.

I think Poeta will do good things at Illinois.  Webster has a lot of potential.

walden_hiker

Does DJ Hamiti get penciled in at 165? What transfers are available there?

littleguy301

Quote from: walden_hiker on May 07, 2021, 07:18:15 PM
Does DJ Hamiti get penciled in at 165? What transfers are available there?

That is a great question. Dow? Plugging that hole is going to be tough but inthink the badgers will do it.

hammer

Will someone cut or move up for the time being?

tigerking

Quote from: hammer on May 09, 2021, 01:08:58 PM

I honestly thought Dow looks like a small 174. It would be interesting to see how he would perform at 165. I watched the Hamiti/Facundo match and I really like the way Hamiti competes in that match,  but I think it may be best for him to redshirt.

vsmf2010

Quote from: tigerking on May 11, 2021, 09:25:07 AM

I honestly thought Dow looks like a small 174. It would be interesting to see how he would perform at 165. I watched the Hamiti/Facundo match and I really like the way Hamiti competes in that match,  but I think it may be best for him to redshirt.

Completely agree on Dow but if he was able to get to 165 I would have thought he would have competed there this past season.

I agree that a redshirt would probably be ideal for Hamiti but Bono has always said they would put out their best team so if he is the best they have I assume they will put him on the mat. Similar to what they did with EB.

wrastle63

Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 11, 2021, 10:47:01 AM

Completely agree on Dow but if he was able to get to 165 I would have thought he would have competed there this past season.

I agree that a redshirt would probably be ideal for Hamiti but Bono has always said they would put out their best team so if he is the best they have I assume they will put him on the mat. Similar to what they did with EB.
Could very well see a similiar situation with someone else starting the season as a start with Hamiti going to some opens. If he does well and shows a difference betweeen him and the starter his redshirt gets pulled. If not let him develop. 

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrastle63 on May 11, 2021, 11:06:17 AM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 11, 2021, 10:47:01 AM

Could very well see a similiar situation with someone else starting the season as a start with Hamiti going to some opens. If he does well and shows a difference betweeen him and the starter his redshirt gets pulled. If not let him develop.

For sure. Assuming they go to Midlands that is always a great place to truly compare multiple wrestlers from a team and determine who may have the best chance for the most points at the Big Tens and NCAA's.