way too early 2021-2022 line up

Started by dad 2 5, February 20, 2021, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkm13

If we are able to get a guy like Gomez as well, the lineup from top to bottom will be very good. Probably the deepest in terms of top 15 wrestlers we have ever had, which will make for a very good dual team.

In terms of NCAA points, there is a big difference between finishing top 16 and low AA.  Can a few of them sneak into being AA's like Barnett was able to last year? That will make a big difference in terms of potential placement. Next year will be the toughest year in a long time with everyone getting an extra year with COVID, Cornell returning, etc. There will be some stacked teams.  We should be competitive with almost all (except for Iowa, Penn State, and likely Michigan depending what they get rumored transfers ).

dad 2 5

Quote from: mkm13 on April 24, 2021, 09:05:29 AM
If we are able to get a guy like Gomez as well, the lineup from top to bottom will be very good. Probably the deepest in terms of top 15 wrestlers we have ever had, which will make for a very good dual team.

In terms of NCAA points, there is a big difference between finishing top 16 and low AA.  Can a few of them sneak into being AA's like Barnett was able to last year? That will make a big difference in terms of potential placement. Next year will be the toughest year in a long time with everyone getting an extra year with COVID, Cornell returning, etc. There will be some stacked teams.  We should be competitive with almost all (except for Iowa, Penn State, and likely Michigan depending what they get rumored transfers ).

Agree, look at the top ten and there is a lot of good returners on each of them and it seems like they have picked up transfers and freshmen that will be very good:
1       IOWA   10   129.0
2       PSU            9   113.5
3       OKST   9   99.5
4       ASU           8   74.0
5       MICH   8   69.0
6       NCST   9   68.0
7       MINN   9   64.0
7       MIZZ   10   64.0
9       OHST   7   46.5
10       NW           7   45.0

MakingABadgerer

If everyone stays healthy this will be a good team.  We have had some starters leave, many theories have been discussed, the most realistic one being that the status quo of being content with starting will not cut it with these new guys coming in and pushing the envelope.  There will be plenty of excuses/reasons but as some guys decide they prefer a different route, there will be others who decide they want to transfer in and improve their skills with these young guys as teammates.  We're already seeing it and I suspect we'll see more.  The Bono haters will criticize when someone leaves, the rest of us will smile when someone like McNally comes in.  With Covid (hopefully) behind us, the coaches will be allowed to recruit/coach and the team will be able to use the facilities.

This incoming freshman class (the true freshmen and the grayshirts) is going to be fun to watch.  They're going to improve with guys like Wick/McNally/Weiler/Hilger beating them up in the room and showing them the ropes of college wrestling.

I am very excited about Hamiti and Zargo, both have big frames and are going to grow while they're here.
The expectations for Amos are high.  The photos of Braxton/Bono/Reader at Last Chance & Olympic Trials are recruiting brochures.  He's been very candid with the media that he is jumping levels in this room.  Don't be shocked if a high level 184 comes to Madison within the next year or two to work out with Braxton.
Hearing that both Weiler and Trent's surgeries went well.  Chris staying healthy means a higher finish at NCAA and the ability to redshirt Calhoun.  If Thor stays healthy then another All American finish is in the cards, having Pete on a redshirt and Copass on a redshirt (or even better, a gray shirt) this year sets the deck even more for the future. 

I'm excited to see what our guys do at Juniors next week.

I don't have any inside information about 141, just looked at the portal and made a wish list in no particular order.  Along with our lineup around 141, having Bono and Gross in the room to scrap has to be enticing. 

125 Barnett (So)           Rotundo (Jr)
133 Burwick (Fr)           Dentino (So)
141 The Portal: Gomez (Jr) Tagg (F) Woods (So)  Villareal (Fr)         
149 Zargo (Fr)            Scharenbrock (So)/Medora (Fr)
157 Hamiti (Fr)           Model (Jr)/Bahr (Jr)
165 Wick (Sr)            Otto (Fr)
174 McNally (Sr)        Dow (So)
184 Weiler (Sr)          Calhoun (Fr)
197 Amos (Fr)           Empey (Fr)
285 Hillger (Jr)         Christensen (So)

Harris

I hope the Badger coaching staff is looking at Koy Hopke from Amery.  He almost beat Jim Mullen from NJ at the Cadet World Team Trials in the semi's.  Koy is an impressive young wrestler who won state as a 220lb freshman. 

Harris

After watching the Cadet World Team Trials (Age 15-17) here are some Wisconsin wrestlers I am hoping the Badger coaches are watching:

106, Ben Bast, West Bend West, Askren Wrestling Academy, WI State Champion, 4th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (48KG)

132, Greyson Clark, Kaukauna, Askren Wrestling Academy, 2X WI State Champion, 1st 2021 Junior Folkstyle Nationals, 7th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (60KG)

145, Zane Licht, Lodi, Askren Wrestling Academy, WI State 2nd (lost to Rivera), 1st 2021 16U Folkstyle Nationals, DNP at Cadet Nationals

160, Braeden Scoles, Kewaskum, Askren Wrestling Academy, 2X WI State Champion, 4th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (71KG)

170, Connor Mirasola, West Bend West, Askren Wrestling Academy, WI State Champion (Freshman), 2nd 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (80KG), 2nd 2019 14U Freestyle Nationals (lost to Gabe Arnold)

182, Cole Mirasola, West Bend West, Askren Wrestling Academy, 5th WI State, 4th 2019 14U Freestyle Nationals, DNP at 2021 Cadet Nationals (80 KG, lost to Rogotzke 3rd and Merril 4th)

220, Koy Hopke, Amery, WI State Champion (Freshman), 1st 16U 2021 Folk Nat, 3rd 2021 Cadet Greco Nationals, 3rd Cadet Freestyle Nationals (110 KG)

220, Max Ramberg,  Baldwin Woodvile, 2nd WI State (to Koy Hopke), 5th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (92 KG)

U15 (13-15)

160 Aeoden Sinclair, Milton, Askren Wrestling Academy, 3rd WI State, 1st 2021 U15 Freestyle Nationals, 1st 2021 U15 Greco Nationals, 1st 2021 16U Folkstyle Nationals

hammer

Quote from: Harris on April 25, 2021, 11:33:26 AM
I hope the Badger coaching staff is looking at Koy Hopke from Amery.  He almost beat Jim Mullen from NJ at the Cadet World Team Trials in the semi's.  Koy is an impressive young wrestler who won state as a 220lb freshman.

Agreed and very raw. Pretty average wrestler but great athlete that knows how to win! Image if he got some fine tunning how good he would be! I see he was wearing a pinnacle singlet so help maybe on the way!

hammer

Quote from: Harris on April 25, 2021, 04:09:53 PM
After watching the Cadet World Team Trials (Age 15-17) here are some Wisconsin wrestlers I am hoping the Badger coaches are watching:

106, Ben Bast, West Bend West, Askren Wrestling Academy, WI State Champion, 4th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (48KG)

132, Greyson Clark, Kaukauna, Askren Wrestling Academy, 2X WI State Champion, 1st 2021 Junior Folkstyle Nationals, 7th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (60KG)

145, Zane Licht, Lodi, Askren Wrestling Academy, WI State 2nd (lost to Rivera), 1st 2021 16U Folkstyle Nationals, DNP at Cadet Nationals

160, Braeden Scoles, Kewaskum, Askren Wrestling Academy, 2X WI State Champion, 4th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (71KG)

170, Connor Mirasola, West Bend West, Askren Wrestling Academy, WI State Champion (Freshman), 2nd 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (80KG), 2nd 2019 14U Freestyle Nationals (lost to Gabe Arnold)

182, Cole Mirasola, West Bend West, Askren Wrestling Academy, 5th WI State, 4th 2019 14U Freestyle Nationals, DNP at 2021 Cadet Nationals (80 KG, lost to Rogotzke 3rd and Merril 4th)

220, Koy Hopke, Amery, WI State Champion (Freshman), 1st 16U 2021 Folk Nat, 3rd 2021 Cadet Greco Nationals, 3rd Cadet Freestyle Nationals (110 KG)

220, Max Ramberg,  Baldwin Woodvile, 2nd WI State (to Koy Hopke), 5th 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (92 KG)

I have been saying this since this winter, Ramberg is the overlooked gem that some one will be very happy when they find him! Ramberg also finished 6th in Greco to make him a double AA to match his U15 double AA from 2019. He also won pre season nationals beating Juan Mora (ranked 4th at HWT). When some one mentioned Gavin Drexler and how he does against other states champ, I lost track at double figures at other states champs Ramberg has beat since August! I hope Bono knows his number! I also have found out Rambergs dad is a forum regular so maybe he can add something to if Wisconsin is interested.

hammer

Quote from: Harris on April 25, 2021, 11:33:26 AM

Years latter people will look back and realize Hopke and Ramberg state finals of a battle of 2 nationally ranked guys that got 45 seconds of TV time on Fox TV. How often does Wisconsin get 2 nationally ranked guys going at it in a state match?

Harris

Quote from: hammer on April 25, 2021, 05:57:52 PM

I have been saying this since this winter, Ramberg is the overlooked gem that some one will be very happy when they find him! Ramberg also finished 6th in Greco to make him a double AA to match his U15 double AA from 2019. He also won pre season nationals beating Juan Mora (ranked 4th at HWT). When some one mentioned Gavin Drexler and how he does against other states champ, I lost track at double figures at other states champs Ramberg has beat since August! I hope Bono knows his number! I also have found out Rambergs dad is a forum regular so maybe he can add something to if Wisconsin is interested.

I hope Bono knows the West Bend West number as well  ;)

rjchev141

If we're looking at this weekend, don't leave off Aeoden Sinclair.  Very impressive weekend to add to his resume.

hammer

Quote from: Harris on April 25, 2021, 06:14:21 PM
Quote from: hammer on April 25, 2021, 05:57:52 PM

I hope Bono knows the West Bend West number as well  ;)

That is a big YES! Wisconsin has 3 more years to wine and dine them. Ramberg has 1 more year. Yes there seems to be some good recruits in the under class area in Wisconsin.

bigoil

We have to consider some of the talent we have on the UW talent when looking at these guys ages and weight. Obviously the freshman make a ton of sense but if it is at a weight like Hamiti or Amos and they are a year younger, I'm not sure there will be a great fit for the wrestler/scholarship opportunities.

Harris

Quote from: rjchev141 on April 25, 2021, 06:38:22 PM
If we're looking at this weekend, don't leave off Aeoden Sinclair.  Very impressive weekend to add to his resume.

Totally agree.  I was more focused on the Cadets.  I will add him to my list.  Thanks!

hammer

Quote from: bigoil on April 25, 2021, 06:49:22 PM
We have to consider some of the talent we have on the UW talent when looking at these guys ages and weight. Obviously the freshman make a ton of sense but if it is at a weight like Hamiti or Amos and they are a year younger, I'm not sure there will be a great fit for the wrestler/scholarship opportunities.

That is a good answer but hear me out. I have to ask this because I am not in the know at Wisconsin just reading the forum and seeing where they compete. Hilger and Copass are HWT. Looks like Christianson is also going to be a HWT with his current weight. Amos is competing at 213 which means in my eyes he has 16 pounds to trim off for an entire season of wrestling which could be a difficult cut unless he is getting the results being that far under weight which then is really impressive. I also know they have Empy on the roster but he is also 220 which means some weight loss also. Also with Amos talents in the international style he maybe taking some time off for an Olympic cycle which in turn I am looking to add some depth into the lineup and fill ins when needed. Also with some how they take years off nice to have some back ups that can fill in and compete in a high level.

Harris

I wouldn't mind cherry picking one or two from Minnesota as well:

182 Ryder Rogotzke, Stillwater, MN, Pinnacle Wrestling Club, 3rd MN State, 1st 2021 Cadet Greco Nationals, 3rd 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals

220 Gavin Nelson, Simley, MN, Simley Wrestling Club, 1st MN State, 1st 2021 Cadet Freestyle Nationals (From Kirkvliets hometown) 92KG

5 tech falls and outscored his opponents 53-1.  Pretty Impressive!

You never know.  We have tuition reciprocity with MN and it is just a short drive down to Madison :)