way too early 2021-2022 line up

Started by dad 2 5, February 20, 2021, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

Quote from: Handles II on March 17, 2021, 10:46:28 AM
I'm curious, realistically, when we are saying we will be "very tough" or whatever, what does that mean?
Would we be in the top 50% of the Big 10 in duals? In the tournament? Both?
#1 and #2 are pretty much locked up by Iowa and Penn St.  I read recently that Penn has four #1 ranked HS recruits coming in, plus others in the top 5. They are going to be up there for the long haul.
IMO...
Nebraska (big improvments this year) Ohio State, Michigan are probably 3-5. Ohio had an uncharacteristic down year, but has plenty returning that are taking a redshirt.
Minnesota, Illinios, and Michigan St. 6-8

Where do we realistically fit? Who of these will we be definitively better than?

Wick can beat anyone at 165 this year including Marinelli at Iowa.  Not saying he wins them all, but he has the talent to beat any one of them.  Hamiti will have one year in the room with Wick and his potential is awesome as well if he doesn't start next year.  I really think he could push Model as well next year if he can make 157.  I love that WI will have some guys like Hamiti and Copass in the room to push this years starters.

Amos is right up there at 197 as well in my opinion and I can't wait to see him wrestle Amine from Michigan and Schultz from Nebraska.  He just beat a top 10 senior level guy who was an NCAA runner up.  Based on what he has done at the high school, Cadet, Junior and Senior level, he should be something special.  This guy is the real deal and the type of person you want to build your program around.

Hillger and Weiler have proven they can be top 8 guys and Copass is coming as well.

125 is wide open after Spencer Lee from Iowa.  Barnett is improving and I believe has the talent, drive, and work ethic to All American in the next 2 years.  133 is similar.  RBY at Penn State and Desanto at Iowa are top level but after that it opens up quite a bit.  I could see Burwick making strides as well.  You have to remember, both of these guys are now working with Seth Gross.  I expect to keep seeing improvement in their wrestling.  Slot in Zargo who has a lot of upside who will be working with Gross as well and we have a tough set of light weights.  I can't wait to see what Gross can do as a coach.

Make no mistake, this team will be better next year and has the potential to be top 5 in the Big Ten if everyone stays healthy and the young guys keep improving.  I know a lot of people are down this year and I have felt that way as well but help is coming from some very high level recruits.  Yes it will be very hard to jump above Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, Nebraska and Ohio State but I could see Wisconsin closing the gap tremendously.  I think we look very comparable to a Michigan, Ohio State or Nebraska next year if things progress as planned.

If Bono can pull in one more high level transfer for next year we could really see some fireworks as well!  Anything is possible.  With Gross working with the light weights and Reader handling the big guys, this team will get better.

bigoil

Top 10 in the nation, top 5 in the big 10 are definitely achievable results for UW, especially in duals, tournaments are so dominated by top end talent, the verdict would still be out on how the points add up but I'd still expect it to be in that range if they get a transfer that  based on history that might shore up a spot or two if we can talk Crazyhorse Weiler to come back for one more year.

Harris

This was posted by Tom in another thread.  Read these Bono quotes carefully to get some insight into next year.  Looks like Hillger had an illness or injury and Weiler is coming back.

Trent Hillger:

"What can I say about Trent?" said Wisconsin head coach Chris Bono. "Everyone wrote him off early, he needs to heal up! He competed with such grit this weekend, I could not be more proud of him.

"A three-time All-American, placing sixth this year, his highest placing ever in this tournament. He is a leader on this team! I can't wait for next year with Trent."

Chris Weiler:

"Chris had a disappointing NCAA tourney this year, but has the potential and talent to be an All-American," said Bono. "He needs to heal up and get ready to make a run at it next year. He has been a great addition to the team this year."

mkm13

Good to see Weiler might be coming back next year. I think he was pretty hurt at the end of the year and if healthy, can be an AA candidate.

Metalman

Christianson outweighs Hillger 25 pounds. It will be a stretch for him to make 197.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Metalman on March 21, 2021, 05:58:01 PM
Christianson outweighs Hillger 25 pounds. It will be a stretch for him to make 197.

Where did you hear he was 25# heavier? Not sure I heard he was there but true that it would be very tough for him to get down to 97. Amos will take that weight from everyone I talk with.

hammer

Quote from: Metalman on March 21, 2021, 05:58:01 PM

I could believe 25 pounds on Amos.

Army Ant

Remember all the other teams are returning everybody also.

wrastle63

Quote from: Army Ant on March 29, 2021, 09:03:29 PM
Not true. Not everyone is returning. Many guys will be moving on to their careers.

Army Ant

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 30, 2021, 06:35:14 AM
Not true. Not everyone is returning. Many guys will be moving on to their careers.

Didnt mean that literally. My point is that the badgers wont improve as much as they otherwise would compared to everybody else because few wrestlers are leaving. Mist other teams will also improve.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

It will be interesting to see how many come back for their 5th, 6th or 7th years.

Not a simple decision health and career wise.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

wrastle63

Quote from: Army Ant on March 30, 2021, 10:40:53 AM

Didnt mean that literally. My point is that the badgers wont improve as much as they otherwise would compared to everybody else because few wrestlers are leaving. Mist other teams will also improve.
Ah ok. Yea a lot of teams won't be losing much, but I don't think any team in the nation will be bringing in the points that the Badgers will with Wick and Amos plus other potential changes. 

hammer

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 30, 2021, 02:53:51 PM
Quote from: Army Ant on March 30, 2021, 10:40:53 AM

Ah ok. Yea a lot of teams won't be losing much, but I don't think any team in the nation will be bringing in the points that the Badgers will with Wick and Amos plus other potential changes.

You could be right though.......what ever team lands Shane Griffin might beg to differ and what if that same team lands another Stanford wrestler. Remember their are some teams that have champs sitting out still......Cornell,  Michigan to name a quick couple.

DarkKnight

Next year will be fun when it comes.

I'm not going to get all hopped up and too crazy about.