Wisconsin wrestling match vs. Iowa canceled

Started by crossface21, February 19, 2021, 06:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Wisconsin wrestling match vs. Iowa canceled

Badgers' dual vs. Hawkeyes will not be rescheduled

MADISON, Wis. — Out of an abundance of caution, the Big Ten wrestling dual meet between Wisconsin and Iowa originally scheduled for this Sunday, Feb. 21 has been canceled.
The event has been canceled due to health and safety concerns related to COVID-19.
Due to the shortened Big Ten schedule for conference teams this year, the dual will not be rescheduled.

###

JESSICA BURDA LESLIE | WISCONSIN ATHLETICS
Director of Brand Communications
Kellner Hall | 1440 Monroe Street | Madison, WI 53711
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

STATEMENT FROM THE IOWA WRESTLING PROGRAM

The Big Ten Conference announced Friday that Sunday's dual at Wisconsin will no longer be held as scheduled following a decision to cancel by the Wisconsin medical staff.

GARY BARTA
"The University of Iowa medical staff, using Big Ten and institutional guidelines, has cleared the Iowa Wrestling team to return to competition. Coach Brands and his team returned to full in-person activities Thursday. We are disappointed in the decision to cancel Sunday's dual."

TOM BRANDS
"Our medical team did their job to the nth degree. We have been diligent. We have followed protocol. We have the green light to compete from our medical professionals and per Big Ten Conference protocol."

Chris Brewer | Associate Director of Athletic Communications | University of Iowa
S300 Carver-Hawkeye Arena | Iowa City, IA 52242-1020

TomM

IOWA CITY — The top-ranked Iowa wrestling team is cleared to compete again, but Sunday's dual at Wisconsin is off.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/iowa-wrestling-cleared-but-sunday-dual-of-off-20210219

The Badgers announced the decision was made "due to health and safety concerns related to COVID-19." The dual will not be rescheduled.

"The University of Iowa medical staff, using Big Ten and institutional guidelines, has cleared the Iowa wrestling team to return to competition," Iowa athletics director Gary Barta said in a news release. "Coach Brands and his team returned to full in-person activities Thursday.

"We are disappointed in the decision to cancel Sunday's dual."

The Big Ten Conference announced that Sunday's dual at Wisconsin is off, per the Wisconsin medical staff.

"Our medical team did their job to the nth degree," Iowa Coach Tom Brands said in a news release. "We have been diligent. We have followed protocol. We have the green light to compete from our medical professionals and per Big Ten Conference protocol."

Iowa had duals against Penn State last Friday and Northwestern this Friday postponed after the program was paused due to COVID-19.

The Big Ten Championships are March 6-7 at University Park, Penn.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

dman

coachn

dman

wrastle63

To be fair every team has been embarrassed by Iowa. The team that was closest to Iowa all season was Purdue(18) because Iowa didn't wrestle Spencer Lee, Kaleb Young, or Alex Marinelli. Purdue got 15 points out of those matches. Otherwise there only win was at 184 against Nelson Brands.

Ohio State was next closest with 14 and 9 of those points were from Young and Marinelli being out.

dman

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 21, 2021, 08:57:38 AM
To be fair every team has been embarrassed by Iowa. The team that was closest to Iowa all season was Purdue(18) because Iowa didn't wrestle Spencer Lee, Kaleb Young, or Alex Marinelli. Purdue got 15 points out of those matches. Otherwise there only win was at 184 against Nelson Brands.

Ohio State was next closest with 14 and 9 of those points were from Young and Marinelli being out.

I agree...Iowa is heads and shoulders above everyone this year...and it pains me to say it because I can't stand them.  Well I do like watching Lee wrestle.

bigG

I'm with you. Lee is at another level. Just wow. But, I grew up loving the Gable IA, and learned to dislike the hawks over time.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.