UW Wrestling and AWA

Started by coconut joe, February 15, 2021, 04:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkm13

Quote from: MNbadger on February 21, 2021, 05:17:56 PM
The success or lack of success is not on any state wrestling club.  Nor is it on any owner/operator of a club.
Wrestling(and any other college sports is based on recruiting, pure and simple).
As far as in state recruiting....I just quickly looked at three websites for 20-21:
PSU: 34 on roster, 14 from Pennsylvania.
U of Minnesota: 32 on roster, 14 from Minnesota.
U of Iowa: 32 on roster, 10 from Iowa.
U of Wisconsin: 24 on roster, 17 from Wisconsin.
The issue might be that there are too many recruited from Wisconsin.  I am not saying this to be a jerk. 
Someone mentioned that UW limits the roster.  Is it limited to 24?  Compared to PSU(34), U of M(32), U of Iowa(32) this is pathetic, in fact in my opinion, impossible to compete with. 
Were I qualified, I would never take this job on if what it looks like is the case.
Is there someone out there with knowledge of this?

Every scholarship has value.  I would be curious to see a breakdown for UW over the years of scholarship used per points at NCAAs for in state and out of state athletes.  Unfortunately, I feel like the out of state scholarships have likely been more valuable in terms of success than in state.

wrestler_73

I understand that out of state talent will lead to greater overall success.  I am hopeful they can do a better job of bringing in the ones that will score points for them at the NCAA tournament.  Since the late 90's the Badgers have lost way more points going out of state than staying in state. Their connection to club and HS coaches is important and I am hopeful it is getting stronger.

Numbers

Quote from: mkm13 on February 22, 2021, 08:50:45 AM
The success or lack of success is not on any state wrestling club.  Nor is it on any owner/operator of a club.
Wrestling(and any other college sports is based on recruiting, pure and simple).
As far as in state recruiting....I just quickly looked at three websites for 20-21:
The issue might be that there are too many recruited from Wisconsin.  I am not saying this to be a jerk. 
Someone mentioned that UW limits the roster.  Is it limited to 24?  Compared to PSU(34), U of M(32), U of Iowa(32) this is pathetic, in fact in my opinion, impossible to compete with. 
Were I qualified, I would never take this job on if what it looks like is the case.

Every scholarship has value.  I would be curious to see a breakdown for UW over the years of scholarship used per points at NCAAs for in state and out of state athletes.  Unfortunately, I feel like the out of state scholarships have likely been more valuable in terms of success than in state.

I would guess out of state have easily scored over 75% of NCAA points.  Pritzlaff, Ruschell, Howe, Medberry, Graff, I. Jordan, Wick, Hillger.

I think Brandvold and Craig Henning might be the only Wisconsin kids to multiple AA as a Badger in 20 years.

littleguy301

Quote from: Numbers on February 23, 2021, 12:10:41 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on February 22, 2021, 08:50:45 AM

I would guess out of state have easily scored over 75% of NCAA points.  Pritzlaff, Ruschell, Howe, Medberry, Graff, I. Jordan, Wick, Hillger.

I think Brandvold and Craig Henning might be the only Wisconsin kids to multiple AA as a Badger in 20 years.

Yes brandvold and Henning are multi aa.
Herbst
Black
Black
Turner
All 1 time as sominnthe past 20 years Wisconsin has had 8 AA that are home grown.

Ohio kids on Wisconsin team
Jordan
Jordan
Taylor

Mn kids on Wisconsin team that aa
Rutt
Massey's
Flarethy

Colorado kids on Wisconsin teams that aa
Medbury
Graff
Clum

This since 2002
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

This is going to sound really boastful and bragging some what.

What does Henning, Brandvold, Tyler, Black and black all have that is very unique?

They all basically grew up and went to school with in less than a hour of each other. Kind of impressive and 4 of them with in 20 minutes and in the same county!

bigG

Cool "stat" man. Love stuff like that. Kinds of a rebuke of the "best wrestlers are on the 90-94 corridor" that Ben A said, I believe.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Numbers

Quote from: bigG on February 24, 2021, 07:08:03 AM
Cool "stat" man. Love stuff like that. Kinds of a rebuke of the "best wrestlers are on the 90-94 corridor" that Ben A said, I believe.

I thought these guys were close to I-94?

littleguy301

Quote from: Numbers on February 24, 2021, 08:01:09 AM
Quote from: bigG on February 24, 2021, 07:08:03 AM

I thought these guys were close to I-94?

Yes they were. Probably all with in 20 minutes of an on ramp to 94

90-94 runs from lacrosse to Madison . It is common that even if your just on 94 that people call it the 90-94 corridor.

bigG

I should have said 94 sans 90. Hmm. Didn't know RF was that closer to 94. learn sumfin knew everyday.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on February 24, 2021, 10:45:42 AM
I should have said 94 sans 90. Hmm. Didn't know RF was that closer to 94. learn sumfin knew everyday.

River falls high school is maybe 15 minutes south of Hudson

npope

Quote from: shakerag on February 24, 2021, 12:50:46 PM

More like Crudson!

Play nice... ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

littleguy301

Quote from: shakerag on February 24, 2021, 12:50:46 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 24, 2021, 10:58:30 AM
Quote from: bigG on February 24, 2021, 10:45:42 AM

More like Crudson!

Havent heard that in years ;D ;D