UW Wrestling and AWA

Started by coconut joe, February 15, 2021, 04:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armdrag

We are on the same page. I think Barnett would have a better shot at this point than Mocco so I thought maybe EB was the 3rd. Keckeisen (3 top 16) and Barnett have the best wins of the 4 so far. O'Toole is a legit stud no doubt but has not hit anyone inside the top 20 yet. I am anxious to see what he can do with those top tier guys. He could definitely AA this year especially with 165 being down vs the last couple of years. To think in 2019 the 8th best wrestler was Logan Massa.

Another WI wrestler to watch is Stephen Buchanan. He is on a terror. Two wins over Noah Adams is no joke. Have to like his chances at the podium.

I think you need to be careful in calling Barnett an AWA guy.................. spent very little time with him if any

vsmf2010

Quote from: Armdrag on February 17, 2021, 10:11:24 AM
We are on the same page. I think Barnett would have a better shot at this point than Mocco so I thought maybe EB was the 3rd. Keckeisen (3 top 16) and Barnett have the best wins of the 4 so far. O'Toole is a legit stud no doubt but has not hit anyone inside the top 20 yet. I am anxious to see what he can do with those top tier guys. He could definitely AA this year especially with 165 being down vs the last couple of years. To think in 2019 the 8th best wrestler was Logan Massa.

Another WI wrestler to watch is Stephen Buchanan. He is on a terror. Two wins over Noah Adams is no joke. Have to like his chances at the podium.

I think you need to be careful in calling Barnett an AWA guy.................. spent very little time with him if any

Completely my mistake. I thought that had previously been referenced on the forum. I am no longer coaching so I really do not know who is training with each club unless I see something on track, it is referenced here or see them in a singlet in a video of a match. I also hear Askren talk about him on Flo which led me to believe he was one of his guys. Again my mistake and my apologies.

Armdrag

No need to apologize..........a lot of people think he spent significant time at AWA...........I can tell you he spent a lot more time at other clubs that help to make him the wrestler and young man that he is.......Of course Ben is going to claim him........

walden_hiker

Quote from: Armdrag on February 17, 2021, 11:04:49 AM
No need to apologize..........a lot of people think he spent significant time at AWA...........I can tell you he spent a lot more time at other clubs that help to make him the wrestler and young man that he is.......Of course Ben is going to claim him........

Ben never claimed Barnett, he just thinks he is talented. On Flo, one of his co-hosts stated Barnett was an AWA guy and Ben corrected them and said that he could not take credit for Barnett.

MNbadger

"Did anyone think that two alpha males like Coach Bono and Ben Askren"........

Alpha males get along throughout the world every day Ghetto. 

Respectfully, MnBadger
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

tigerking

Quote from: vsmf2010 on February 16, 2021, 02:12:43 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on February 16, 2021, 01:32:52 PM
I am guessing he is talking about O'Toole, Keckeisen, and Mocco.  Might be a little early to put Mocco into that category despite being undefeated this year as his best win is against the #26th ranked guy on wrestleastat who is 6-4 this year.

Definitely forgot about Buchannen. He has improved a ton since High School.

Ghetto

Quote from: dman on February 17, 2021, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on February 17, 2021, 08:30:31 AM

I would hope that AWA would push towards Wisconsin when the kid fit the program. The style of AWA isn't Bono's style, so it's going to be rare when the fit is right.

Curious...what is different about AWA's "style" from Bono's "style"??  Technique?  Philosophy?

Just my interpretation, but I think the techniques are a bit different.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

dman

Quote from: Ghetto on February 17, 2021, 02:02:55 PM
Quote from: dman on February 17, 2021, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on February 17, 2021, 08:30:31 AM

I would hope that AWA would push towards Wisconsin when the kid fit the program. The style of AWA isn't Bono's style, so it's going to be rare when the fit is right.

Curious...what is different about AWA's "style" from Bono's "style"??  Technique?  Philosophy?

Just my interpretation, but I think the techniques are a bit different.

Gotcha.  I have no idea about this...but would be curious if coaches recruit based on style?

wrestler_73

I would agree that Ben's ego is a big part of the problem.  I also believe that any club that claims kids and credit for championships is disrespectful to high school and youth coaches in the community they come from..that is a another discussion.

How is Bono doing with building relationships in the state with coaches and other clubs?

Numbers

Quote from: wrestler_73 on February 18, 2021, 08:10:39 AM
I would agree that Ben's ego is a big part of the problem.  I also believe that any club that claims kids and credit for championships is disrespectful to high school and youth coaches in the community they come from..that is a another discussion.

How is Bono doing with building relationships in the state with coaches and other clubs?

You know the high school and local youth programs can highlight wrestler accomplishments as well.  Many local wrestling programs are not really into social media (much less multiple media platforms).

Could be much better at promoting wrestling at many levels.  Maybe this should be a topic at the next Coaches Association gathering.

Gizmo

Quote from: wrestler_73 on February 18, 2021, 08:10:39 AM

sounds like you feel slighted by some club coaches!  What clubs or coaches took credit for your success?  Did you really contribute to the success or the kid just happened to live in your district?

I've heard through the grapevine that Bono is struggling with most club coaches and a lot of high school coaches. These issues extend outside the state borders as well.

imwi

Wow!  A person with 33 posts is calling a person with 8 posts a feckless pot stirrer.  I didn't go back and look at all 8 posts but man that seems harsh.  You want to see some pot stirrers, go up in to the old covid rant section.

On the flip side, I wish I could come up with a witty Uecker come back to Gizmo's question "What clubs or coaches took credit for your success?"  Personally meaning, I couldn't pay a coach to take credit for my "success"

And while I'm at it, Tom, why is a Wisconsin forum telling me I have Uecker spelled wrong and suggesting Hecker Becker or Secker?  (I did have to verify that spelling several times  ;D  )

That's it.  Hope everyone has a good evening.  Good luck to all the teams competing this weekend.

bigoil

Gizmo- I have seen dozens of coaches at the RTC golf outing and UW matches. Bus loads of kids.

He has kids from Stoughton and Arrowhead two of the teams with immense talent year in and out on the team.

Recruiting is difficult especially with Covid, as you only have so much to give and now are doubling up recruiting classes. Certain weights are more desirable at different years. 

Gizmo

Quote from: Narwhal on February 18, 2021, 03:54:46 PM
Gizmo, Give some examples. Site sources for your baloney. I think you are making it up. You just stir the pot and I find you to be feckless. What's your beef? You and W73 both need to site your sources. You're not some media in court.
Maybe you should get out there and do the job. You seem to know all the questions. How about the answers?

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

I maybe feckless but I'd like you to get to know me a little better before you say such a thing!  I bet you throw out the man in the arena every chance you get!  I can only imagine how you overuse it.

Harris

If UW starts winning against the upper tier of the Big Ten, the wrestlers will want to come.  His problem right now is the same as any other coach, how does he build the program into a top tier program.  Can he do it without the support of some of the elite clubs and high schools around him?  Maybe.  Will it be easier if he has a good relationship with these clubs and high schools?  You bet.

Count me as one of the disappointed fans who was expecting great things when UW hired Bono and then Askren started working with the RTC.  It is really unfortunate to see that relationship deteriorate regardless of how it happened, what caused it, or who caused it.  I really thought UW was positioned to take the next step.  I am rooting for the Badgers either way and I am also rooting for the elite clubs and high schools to produce more high quality wrestlers.

I think next year can be the defining year in the UW program.  If Wick comes back and the new recruits produce, UW will be a very competitive team.  Unfortunately, this is the same thing we were hoping for with Barry Davis leading the program.  This year seems to have been a step in the wrong direction.

When I look at Penn State and Iowa, they are recruiting the best of the best from across the nation.  It is very hard to catch those types of programs just by trying to out work and out condition them.  UW needs to find a way to consistently recruit these elite athletes inside and outside of Wisconsin to produce the results everyone is hoping for.