UW Wrestling and AWA

Started by coconut joe, February 15, 2021, 04:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coconut joe

Looking for some input on a topic that some of us have been kicking around the last couple of weeks...

Does the head wrestling coach at UW need to have a positive relationship with Ben Askren and AWA(this includes Max and the other coaches) in order to have success?  Particularly in regards to in-state recruiting and successful, well attended summer camps. 

BuckyMatt

Quote from: The Twisted Moose on February 15, 2021, 04:54:52 PM
Looking for some input on a topic that some of us have been kicking around the last couple of weeks...

Does the head wrestling coach at UW need to have a positive relationship with Ben Askren and AWA(this includes Max and the other coaches) in order to have success?  Particularly in regards to in-state recruiting and successful, well attended summer camps.

Another take on this is why can't the head of AWA have a good relationship with multiple UW coaches?

Does the head coach at AWA need to have a positive relationship with Chris Bono and UW (this includes Jon Reader and Seth Gross) in order to get his kids the most scholarship opportunities and assure they can wrestle close to home if they so choose?

mkm13

It would be a benefit for everyone if they got along and AWA was pro UW.  It would help grow the sport in WI. 

If UW's goal is to be a top 5 program, unfortunately AWA has produced very few wrestlers that have produced a lot of points at NCAAs that would help UW get there, but O'toole looks to be a potential 4 time high AA and Keckeisen and Mocco are not far behind and appear to have had more college success to date than our young guys.

Wrestling is unique in that most high end programs do not rely on in state talent to be successful.  Bono was not able to get O'toole, but he was able to get Hamiti and Amos, who are both about at the same level.  There are only so many scholarships available, so if O'toole was here there might not be enough scholarship $ for Hamiti.  If AWA and Askren have a negative relationship with the coaches, and would push kids away from UW, IMO the biggest losers involved are the kids.  Hopefully that is not happening. 

littleguy301

To be honest I doubt currently there are many kids the UW is recruiting from Wisconsin. While we think the Wisconsin kids are awesome not sure if the coaches ar the UW feel the same way.

No RIP on the great state of Wisconsin wrestlers at all. Bono has brought in some really top recruits from across the country. Now let's see if those kids devolpe into some serious studs!

Though I will say other colleges are moving really hard on some Wisconsin kids!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Numbers

UW has been getting kids from Wisconsin for years.  How many of them have been top 12/16 at NCAAs?  Need to lower the bar from AA just to have a list.

wrestler_73

Perhaps a better question is what is the issue between Ben and Bono and/or the UW program?  A good relationship with the most successful club in the state would help the Badger wrestling program.  I was excited at the beginning, but what/why did it change?  Can it be mended...Is it an ego thing on both sides?

1Iota

Obviously it would be great if Bono has a good relationship with Ben, but it certainly is not necessary.  Other than O'toole there is not one AWA kid that would have had a real impact on this program.  Establishing relationships with programs in California, Texas, and other large States that don't have power wrestling programs would be more important.  Also, The Chicago area high has a wealth of talent and UW is an attractive known option. 

mkm13

Quote from: Numbers on February 15, 2021, 07:33:26 PM
UW has been getting kids from Wisconsin for years.  How many of them have been top 12/16 at NCAAs?  Need to lower the bar from AA just to have a list.

Correct.  The talent from AWA and WI has mostly been good for depth, but not high end talent you want competing against PSU, Iowa, or OSU, with the exception of O'Toole and maybe Keckeisen.

Almost all the wrestlers at AWA have been ones you hope to get to walk on or give minimal scholarship money to, assuming the goal is to be a top 5 team.

MNbadger

So, an honest question.......Unless I am mistaken, this was an issue when Barry was here, correct? 
So now with Bono, the same thing.......What is the common denominator?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

1Iota

Quote from: MNbadger on February 15, 2021, 08:48:32 PM
So, an honest question.......Unless I am mistaken, this was an issue when Barry was here, correct? 

And of the 3 Bs Barry, Bono, and Ben, who do you think has the bigger ego? My guess is Ben is a hard guy to please if he isn't getting exactly what he wants.  I also believe his greatest loyalty is to Missouri not UW. 

Numbers

Quote from: 1Iota on February 15, 2021, 09:01:54 PM

And of the 3 Bs Barry, Bono, and Ben, who do you think has the bigger ego? My guess is Ben is a hard guy to please if he isn't getting exactly what he wants.  I also believe his greatest loyalty is to Missouri not UW.

Pretty sure Ben is looking out for the kids like many coaches do.  I believe 3 AWA kids wrestled for the Badgers this weekend.

Anyone want to research results of Stoughton kids at UW or D1 recently.  Some make a lineup but not multi AA.  Should UW Wrestling and Stoughton have a separate thread?

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Numbers on February 15, 2021, 09:43:01 PM

Pretty sure Ben is looking out for the kids like many coaches do.  I believe 3 AWA kids wrestled for the Badgers this weekend.

Anyone want to research results of Stoughton kids at UW or D1 recently.  Some make a lineup but not multi AA.  Should UW Wrestling and Stoughton have a separate thread?

No need for a separate thread, the Stoughton coaches have a great relationship with Bono and company. The Stoughton coaches had a great relationship with Barry Davis.

Gizmo

Quote from: wrestler_73 on February 15, 2021, 08:06:54 PM
Perhaps a better question is what is the issue between Ben and Bono and/or the UW program?  A good relationship with the most successful club in the state would help the Badger wrestling program.  I was excited at the beginning, but what/why did it change?  Can it be mended...Is it an ego thing on both sides?

I'm a little out of the loop here.  I didn't know there was an issue with Ben and Coach Bono.  Could you please enlighten me? Anyone really.

Gizmo

Quote from: BuckyMatt on February 16, 2021, 07:11:55 AM
Quote from: Numbers on February 15, 2021, 09:43:01 PM

Is Stoughton still relevant?

No need for a separate thread, the Stoughton coaches have a great relationship with Bono and company. The Stoughton coaches had a great relationship with Barry Davis.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: shakerag on February 16, 2021, 09:44:39 AM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on February 15, 2021, 05:55:28 PM
Quote from: The Twisted Moose on February 15, 2021, 04:54:52 PM

Another take on this is why can't the head of AWA have a good relationship with multiple UW coaches?

Does the head coach at AWA need to have a positive relationship with Chris Bono and UW (this includes Jon Reader and Seth Gross) in order to get his kids the most scholarship opportunities and assure they can wrestle close to home if they so choose?

I'm gonna say no. I'd imagine that the UW staff would pursue a talented wrestler regardless where he trained.

Also, if I had to guess, AWA is going outlast Bono and the bunch by a long shot.  Bono came into Ben's backyard.  So it's imperative that Bono makes the effort. For example the Gopher coaches have a great relationship with the pinnacle the twin cities.

Ben may very well outlast Bono and company and if history is an indicator, Ben will have an issue and not a great relationship with whomever the next head coach is too.