Minnesota vs Wisconsin 10AM Friday BTN Plus

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, February 11, 2021, 08:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

Quote from: Numbers on February 12, 2021, 08:31:59 PM
Who on the MN roster is taking a COVID year off?  Are they better than Wick and Amos?

How big do you think the gap really is?  With a full lineup the Badger likely win today.

You think they would produce a 20 point swing?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

crossface21

Quote from: Handles II on February 12, 2021, 07:07:35 PM
Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on February 12, 2021, 06:30:54 PM
Quote from: Handles II on February 12, 2021, 05:50:43 PM
Quote from: crossface21 on February 12, 2021, 11:45:03 AM
Great match by Barnett and really tough wrestling by Krattiger. Would have been awesome to get 1 or 2 more win out of Burwick, Dentino, Scharenbrock Dow or Otto. They were close. Much better wrestling from the team than what we saw vs PSU.
MN isn't Penn St. That's for sure, and we were only close at #165  losing by 2. MN is quite a ways ahead of us.

Are you on peyote?  Burwick lost by 2, Dentino by 4, Scharenbrock by 5, Model by 4, Otto by 2, Dow by 4 and Salemme was down 1 after two.
Sorry, no, I don't use drugs. In big 10 wrestling losing by 3,4,5,6 points isn't close. And in some matches, 2points is a mile. Be realistic. We aren't close to MN other than geographical. They also were dominant in the extra matches.

Minnesota may not be PSU, but they are still a Top 10 team. UW looked more aggressive and scored some points today compared to the PSU meet. This looked more like the team that wrestled vs Nebraska. Against PSU they looked flat. If they had looked the same today I would had have some concerns. UW isn't on Minny's level obviously, but they didn't roll over. I don't know if the gap is as far as you many think it is as a program.

digimon

I don't believe the Badgers pull off a 20 point swing. It would be closer, but Gophers still get the Big10 win.

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on February 12, 2021, 10:26:58 PM
Who on the MN roster is taking a COVID year off?  Are they better than Wick and Amos?

How big do you think the gap really is?  With a full lineup the Badger likely win today.

Yea actually probably would be. Wick would easily beat Sparks at least 6 point swing. Weiler could beat Webster as he beat him 9-3 last year so another 6 point swing. Amos would beat Joles so another 6. Hillger would lose to Gable but not get pinned based on previous matchups and whether decision or major. So yea 20.

Handles II

None of them wrestled, and only Thor is currently wrestling. We are talking about the actual team, not a what-if team.

MNbadger

None of those match ups are a given going the Badger's way.  There is almost zero chance that all four matches go the way you say on the same day.
Likely Wick beats Sparks but no way by more than a three point decision.  Sparks could easily upset him.  He beat Robb in his first match and he is a top level wrestler.
I am not a huge Webster fan but this year he has looked very good so at best that one is a toss up.  I would bet on Webster in this one.
Amos likely beats Joles but again with his experience it would be a three pointer.  I don't see Amos winning by more.
And yes, in a dual this year,  Steveson pins Thor.  Not likely in a tournament as there is less incentive there. 
It would be closer but still goes to the Gophers.
Bono isn't stupid.  There is a reason he did not put Weiler and Hilger out there.  Those two would be virtually the same individual results.
And lastly, the Gophers are not a great #10 team.  We feel like we did not wrestle well against Wisconsin(coaches will say what they have to say).  Us fans are expecting much more.
Quote from: wrastle63 on February 13, 2021, 06:14:21 AM

Yea actually probably would be. Wick would easily beat Sparks at least 6 point swing. Weiler could beat Webster as he beat him 9-3 last year so another 6 point swing. Amos would beat Joles so another 6. Hillger would lose to Gable but not get pinned based on previous matchups and whether decision or major. So yea 20.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

dman

Quote from: MNbadger on February 13, 2021, 08:21:36 AM
None of those match ups are a given going the Badger's way.  There is almost zero chance that all four matches go the way you say on the same day.
Likely Wick beats Sparks but no way by more than a three point decision.  Sparks could easily upset him.  He beat Robb in his first match and he is a top level wrestler.
I am not a huge Webster fan but this year he has looked very good so at best that one is a toss up.  I would bet on Webster in this one.
Amos likely beats Jokes but again with his experience it would be a three pointer.  I don't see Amos winning by more.
And yes, in a dual this year,  Steveson pins Thor.  Not likely in a tournament as there is less incentive there. 
Bono isn't stupid.  There is a reason he did not put Weiler and Hilger out there.  Those two would be virtually the same individual results.
And lastly, the Gophers are not a great #10 team.  We feel like we did not wrestle well against Wisconsin(coaches will say what they have to say).  Us fans are expecting much more.

Sparks could pull the upset on 2 time all american Wick??  I like Sparks but seriously...because he beat Robb??  This has to be one of the most biased post I have seen in a long time.  But have to admire your conviction and how you truly believe what you wrote.

MN is clearly on a different level this year with the team the Badger's are fielding, but this year sucks anyway so it is what it is.

wrastle63

Likely Wick beats Sparks but no way by more than a three point decision.  Sparks could easily upset him. He beat Robb in his first match and he is a top level wrestler.
Amos likely beats Jokes but again with his experience it would be a three pointer.  I don't see Amos winning by more.

LOL he barely beat Josh Otto who has a bright future but isn't even close to Wicks level. Robb was a 157 last year and now he is a top tier 165? Lol You show your intelligence level in this post. Sparks upsetting Wick lol. Weiler who beat Webster by 6 now loses. Hillger who has wrestled Gables 3x, given up takedowns and escapes, and lost by decision twice is now going to get pinned. Lol

MNbadger

I never said all four things would happen in the Gopher's favor.  You indicated that all four would happen in the Badger's favor.  This is incredibly unlikely to happen and if id didn't the Badgers still lose.  If Bono believed either Weiler or Hilger were going to win, he'd have had them wrestle. 
The next time Hilger and Steveson wrestle it will be a major at least in Steveson's favor.
Quote from: wrastle63 on February 13, 2021, 08:48:45 AM
Likely Wick beats Sparks but no way by more than a three point decision.  Sparks could easily upset him. He beat Robb in his first match and he is a top level wrestler.

LOL he barely beat Josh Otto who has a bright future but isn't even close to Wicks level. Robb was a 157 last year and now he is a top tier 165? Lol You show your intelligence level in this post. Sparks upsetting Wick lol. Weiler who beat Webster by 6 now loses. Hillger who has wrestled Gables 3x, given up takedowns and escapes, and lost by decision twice is now going to get pinned. Lol

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on February 13, 2021, 10:16:30 AM
I never said all four things would happen in the Gopher's favor.  You indicated that all four would happen in the Badger's favor.  This is incredibly unlikely to happen and if id didn't the Badgers still lose.  If Bono believed either Weiler or Hilger were going to win, he'd have had them wrestle. 
The next time Hilger and Steveson wrestle it will be a major at least in Steveson's favor.

Those are the four most likely outcomes that would happen. Wick beats Sparks by a comfortable margin, Weiler beats Webster, Amos beats Joles, and Hillger loses to Steveson based on the season probably a major. You can wish or want someone to win but doesn't mean it will happen when there are already results to show what would happen in 2 of the 4 matches.

MNbadger

Well, their own coach disagrees with you or he'd have wrestled Weiler and Hilger...........
Quote from: wrastle63 on February 14, 2021, 07:59:18 AM

Those are the four most likely outcomes that would happen. Wick beats Sparks by a comfortable margin, Weiler beats Webster, Amos beats Joles, and Hillger loses to Steveson based on the season probably a major. You can wish or want someone to win but doesn't mean it will happen when there are already results to show what would happen in 2 of the 4 matches.

mkm13

The positives that came out of this are Barnett and Krattiger. We desperately need young guys to step up if we want to be competitive with the top teams. Barnett showing signs of being an AA type wrestler with his last 2 wins. If they can continue to improve and can get to low AA/round of 12 type wrestlers, next year has a chance to be really good:

Barnett - low AA?
Wick - Top 5
Krattiger - top 10-15?
Weiler - low AA?
Amos - Top 5
Hillger - low/mid AA

Burwick and Zargo ready to compete as top 20 wrestlers?

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on February 14, 2021, 09:56:41 AM
Well, their own coach disagrees with you or he'd have wrestled Weiler and Hilger...........

Again you show your wrestling/coaching knowledge or lack there of lol Spencer Lee sat against Purdue(Schroder) because Brands thought he was going to lose??? lol Coaches make decisions because of injury, keeping guys healthy, getting other guys opportunities, weight issues, etc.

MNbadger

The difference being that Brands knew they could beat Purdue without Lee.  Wisconsin needed Weiler and Hilger in the lineup to win(if Bono thought they could).  I am fully aware of why coaches hold wrestlers out.  Honestly this has come up repeatedly on this site and most on here claim wrestlers are ducking opponents and scream to high heaven about it.  My ducking comment was tongue in cheek for this very reason.  With or without the Badgers that were out, the Gophers win.  It would be close, likely winning two of the four match ups mentioned.
Quote from: wrastle63 on February 14, 2021, 10:22:49 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on February 14, 2021, 09:56:41 AM

Again you show your wrestling/coaching knowledge or lack there of lol Spencer Lee sat against Purdue(Schroder) because Brands thought he was going to lose??? lol Coaches make decisions because of injury, keeping guys healthy, getting other guys opportunities, weight issues, etc.

MNbadger

One other thing, in regard to Gable/Hilger had they wrestled in the dual.....
" Hillger would lose to Gable but not get pinned"..........your statement.
Steveson pinned #6 Luffman in 24 seconds.  He was/is ranked higher than Hilger so a pin is the likely outcome here regardless.