"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997

Harris

stbird

That was painful to watch!  I think we got 1 takedown, no turns, and a crap load of escapes!  Wow!!!

vsmf2010

Painful indeed! You have to look really deep to find much for positive takeaways in this one. Seemed like a complete 180 from the Nebraska dual.

Numbers

Quote from: stbird on February 02, 2021, 05:46:41 PM
That was painful to watch!  I think we got 1 takedown, no turns, and a crap load of escapes!  Wow!!!
In 14 matches it looks like 4 takedowns 31 escapes and a penalty point.

I thought I was for fans attending events but...

mkm13

The team really lacks talent, when you compare it to a top team like PSU.  I am assuming Hillger must be dinged up, which could explain his recent losses.

Can't wait for guys like Amos and Hamiti to get in the lineup.  Need more at that talent level.

wrastle63

Quote from: vsmf2010 on February 02, 2021, 06:29:56 PM
Painful indeed! You have to look really deep to find much for positive takeaways in this one. Seemed like a complete 180 from the Nebraska dual.
Trying to take some positives!
- Burwick wrestle RBY really tough. RBY wasn't ever really in danger, but going into the match most people would have guessed bonus points.
- Krattiger wrestled two really good periods against Starrocci who some are saying is the next big star at PSU. Was disappointed he got rode out, but looked pretty good on his feet.
- Christensen wrestled Nevills tough to a 4-3 loss. He looks much improved since last year.
-  MOST IMPORTANT- GROWTH! Krattiger was 9-19 last year and even though it was in a loss he was super competitive against the #5 wrestler in the country. Christensen a guy who struggled last year at 197  wrestled #12 in the country to a 4-3 decision.

walden_hiker

Quote from: mkm13 on February 03, 2021, 06:40:53 AM
The team really lacks talent, when you compare it to a top team like PSU.  I am assuming Hillger must be dinged up, which could explain his recent losses.

Can't wait for guys like Amos and Hamiti to get in the lineup.  Need more at that talent level.

Based on the season so far, I agree WI has less raw talent but the bigger take away is the clear tiers in the Big 10. The top 3 teams are on a completely other level than the rest of the teams. This current team, in a dual, could be anywhere between 5-10. Outside top 3-4 teams, all other teams are very competitive. As a tournament team, we have work to go especially if Hilger continues to struggle.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997

mkm13

With Wick, Amos, and Zargo all taking a gap year, this team is not as high as 5th as a dual team in the big 10.  I would say 8th - 12th would be more accurate. 

I agree it was good to see Christensen wrestle close against Nevills.  It was not as ideal to see him lose this weekend 10-1 to Nebraska's backup.

Out of Barnett, Burwick, and Krattiger, can one or 2 of them develop into a future AA?  Will need that for a quicker turnaround.

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 03, 2021, 08:24:24 AM
- Burwick wrestle RBY really tough. RBY wasn't ever really in danger, but going into the match most people would have guessed bonus points.
- Krattiger wrestled two really good periods against Starrocci who some are saying is the next big star at PSU. Was disappointed he got rode out, but looked pretty good on his feet.
- Christensen wrestled Nevills tough to a 4-3 loss. He looks much improved since last year.
-  MOST IMPORTANT- GROWTH! Krattiger was 9-19 last year and even though it was in a loss he was super competitive against the #5 wrestler in the country. Christensen a guy who struggled last year at 197  wrestled #12 in the country to a 4-3 decision.

I am definitely a glass half full guy and I have seen many positives in the season so far but they were much harder to find yesterday. My comments were specific to the Penn St dual. I was really impressed with how they wrestled against Nebraska and just did not feel that way watching yesterday and I watched every minute of every match including the extra matches.

I do agree that Burwick wrestled tough against RBY and he has wrestled tough all year. However he was really highly thought of out of HS (#1 at his weight) and personally I thought he might be further along in comparison with other wrestlers that come in with those type of credentials.

I love Krat and he has come a long ways. Definitely disappointing to see him getting ridden out in a match that was still very much up for grabs.

The takedown by Christenson at the end was nice and did close up the gap but it not really seem like Nevills was ever in danger of losing that match. Tough to tell how much Christenson has improved over the year because of the nature of HWT matches and the competition. 

BuckyMatt

Well said Wrestle63! 
A few additions:
-Barnett looked great getting that Forfeit  ;D
-Scharenbrock wrestled tough and easily could have one that one.  He could have had a takedown as time expired (that they challenged) and the takedown in overtime was QUICK (and in my opinion shouldn't have been called)
-Model was the Aggressor the whole match and most of the takedowns he gave up were on re-shots.  Shore that defense up and it's a different match!
-Spray wrestled a top 10 guy 0-0 in periods 2 and 3.  He looked very tough on top and aside from the horrendous 12-2 first period, was even with the guy
-Weiler rode super tough

wrastle63

Quote from: BuckyMatt on February 03, 2021, 11:37:49 AM

Well said Wrestle63! 
A few additions:
-Barnett looked great getting that Forfeit  ;D
-Scharenbrock wrestled tough and easily could have one that one.  He could have had a takedown as time expired (that they challenged) and the takedown in overtime was QUICK (and in my opinion shouldn't have been called)
-Model was the Aggressor the whole match and most of the takedowns he gave up were on re-shots.  Shore that defense up and it's a different match!
-Spray wrestled a top 10 guy 0-0 in periods 2 and 3.  He looked very tough on top and aside from the horrendous 12-2 first period, was even with the guy
-Weiler rode super tough
VERY good point on Spray! As bad as the 1st period was the 2nd/3rd periods were outstanding wrestling.