REGIONALS: Interesting Results or Happenings!

Started by TomM, January 30, 2021, 12:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: Numbers on January 31, 2021, 09:12:51 AM
Quote from: bigoil on January 30, 2021, 11:28:18 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 30, 2021, 09:11:10 PM
With the new format, any wrestlers ranked in the top 10 not make it to sectionals?  Any get squeezed out by stacked regionals?
I counted 11 kids in the two rivers regional in the top 12 that didn't move on.

9   8   Isaac Jerabek   Luxemburg-Casco   B/4

5   8(132)   Grant Geiger   Brillion   B/4
9   9   Kaden Verbeten   Wrightstown   B/4

12   HM   Luke Shefchik   Luxemburg-Casco   B/4

7   7   Jack Van Rossum   Freedom   B/4
12   9(152)   Hunter Joniaux   Luxemburg-Casco   B/4

10   HM   Ryan Rothieaux   Luxemburg-Casco   B/4

8   8   Isaac Blohowiak   Luxemburg-Casco   B/4

7   8   Chase Matthias   Two Rivers   B/4

12   NR   Austin Koltz   Wrightstown   B/4

4   4   Levi Galoff   Brillion   B/4

Apologies if I inadvertently put some on the list that advanced.

This shows why individual scoring at Sectionals (without a super sectional) to select team state qualifiers is extremely flawed.  LC won the regional because the guys above were able to still contribute team points.  Next week these guys all score zero for LC.  In a dual format, these kids are difference makers.

Bingo!  Wade are you awake? 

SP

Wade doesn't care. If he cared he would have kept fans out of state and had 224 more kids qualify for state.
I understand it is not ideal situation for all sports right now, but to just tell us what we are going to do without listening to people that know more about our sport than he does is just not good leadership.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

Recon

Over the past two seasons in Division 2/3, 14 of the 16 state qualifying teams also scored the most points in their individual sectional. Stratford (2nd) and Wisconsin Lutheran (3rd) in 2019 were the only two teams that did not score most at the individual sectional. This year the format is a bit different, but maybe the WIAA used past data to help make a difficult decision for this strange season.

bigoil

Quote from: Recon on January 31, 2021, 09:37:18 PM
Over the past two seasons in Division 2/3, 14 of the 16 state qualifying teams also scored the most points in their individual sectional. Stratford (2nd) and Wisconsin Lutheran (3rd) in 2019 were the only two teams that did not score most at the individual sectional. This year the format is a bit different, but maybe the WIAA used past data to help make a difficult decision for this strange season.
If you go back one more year, Freedom outscored LC at sectionals  the year LC won state.

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: Recon on January 31, 2021, 09:37:18 PM

A bit different?  Half of the teams are left at home.  Then you add in the difficulty level of one region, compared to another and teams have a legit gripe. 

No offense, but the D1 Sectional D definitely had a heavy tilt in one region compared to the other 3, resulting in Burlington, Waterford, and Oak Creek sending only, 6, 6, and 5 wrestlers compared to other schools in that Sectional sending 9. 

Again, this is the WIAAs fault.  Not the individual schools.  But it is a huge flaw especially when determining team state

bud

What happened to the Two Rivers #182 pounder. If i remember correctly he beat the regional champ from Brillon by tech fall just a few weeks ago?
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

Binfiller

Quote from: bud on February 01, 2021, 08:43:51 AM
What happened to the Two Rivers #182 pounder. If i remember correctly he beat the regional champ from Brillon by tech fall just a few weeks ago?

Chase Matthias of Two Rivers wrestled at 170 for regionals and took 3rd.

Handles II

Every year, no matter how it's arranged, there are people who will be unhappy with the structure and team placement of Regional/Sectionals. This year is following that trend.  My guess is that we will still end up with the top 3 placewinners being in about the order that they are ranked. There will be exceptions as there is every year.
Good luck to everyone moving on, give it your all and what happens, happens.

bud

Quote from: Binfiller on February 01, 2021, 09:34:54 AM
Quote from: bud on February 01, 2021, 08:43:51 AM

Chase Matthias of Two Rivers wrestled at 170 for regionals and took 3rd.

Looks like Chase should've kept eating well. It appears him going down to #170 wasn't a team thing!!
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

neutral

This is why team scores in Indiv. Tourn. should not be used to determine teams for the Team Tour. 

I would say to take the top 8 ranked teams ... and bracket them accordingly.  For anybody concerned about exclusion of the #9 team ... you go to 16 teams - but I doubt that would be necessary.  I don't have time to do the research - but maybe one of the more computer literate posters could check to see the last time a team outside the top 8 won the title.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

NoFooForU

People, we don't live in a perfect world.  WIAA had to make changes in order for them to allow kids to wrestle.  Improvise, adapt, and overcome.  Now move on and stop complaining about the situation that you have no control over.

kpugh8680

Quote from: Dale on January 31, 2021, 12:01:47 AM
Where was Cliver?

Unfortunately, Cliver did not certify for the 126-pound weight class he had hoped to make.

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: NoFooForU on February 01, 2021, 11:06:03 AM
People, we don't live in a perfect world.  WIAA had to make changes in order for them to allow kids to wrestle.  Improvise, adapt, and overcome.  Now move on and stop complaining about the situation that you have no control over.

Yeah, but when a middle school kid can come up with a better way to figure out the team concept, you can't be serious and tell people to stop complaining.

We do have control. Unfortunately it's attitudes like yours that make change impossible because you accept the WIAA word as gospel.

dman

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on February 01, 2021, 11:48:58 AM

Yeah, but when a middle school kid can come up with a better way to figure out the team concept, you can't be serious and tell people to stop complaining.

We do have control. Unfortunately it's attitudes like yours that make change impossible because you accept the WIAA word as gospel.

Bingo!!

NoFooForU

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on February 01, 2021, 11:48:58 AM

if you have control, why are you spending your time posting to this forum?  Get to work, change things.