Post Season

Started by Hayward, January 04, 2021, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

The WIAA response has always been that their only job is to crown a champion.  They have never mentioned that the experience for all athletes attending state is important which is a travesty.

Sounds like Stoughton sports just got the go ahead to start competing if they can find places outside of Dane County to practice and compete.  Another joke that one Dane County Board can have so much power.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrastle63

Quote from: bigoil on January 06, 2021, 01:02:07 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on January 06, 2021, 01:00:02 PM
Quote from: bigoil on January 06, 2021, 12:38:17 PM
Quote from: Wrestling Novice on January 06, 2021, 12:34:34 PM
I did get confirmation from Wade that it would be 8 per weight class.  What a complete joke.  This will be devastating to many great wrestlers.
what about D2/3? 8 or will there now be four?
Better be at least 8. What are they going to do a round robin with the top 4? lol
agreed but there are only 4 sectionals as of now
Top 2 from each.

Hayward

So D2/D3 gets top 2 and D1 gets 1.   On top of that we have some Full regionals and Sectionals and a regional with 2 schools and a Sectional with 9 schools.  Seems like a lot of thought went into all of this

Is it possible for the WWCA to actually agree on a proposal and fight for the kids???

DocWrestling

I guess I just don't believe that they are not going to restructure regionals and sectionals unless all those schools in Dane County and the southeast have said they are going to participate in the postseason.

At some point maybe by January 15th the WIAA has to make all schools announce whether they are participating in postseason.  Then they have a week to spread out the teams evenly.

Makes too much sense to have even numbers of teams at regionals and sectionals.  I do believe that they will not make any changes due to some sectionals being more stacked with talent than others.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

littleguy301

When is the state series then?

I have heard conflicting reports as to when individual state will happen.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

dman

Why is it that when the WIAA CLEARLY doesn't understand wrestling at all, thus, why don't they seek advice from the "experts" on how they think a post season should be run...i.e., WWF, USA Wrestling, Coaches Association, etc.??  That is what good leaders do...they don't claim to know everything about everything, they recognize where they may not have depth of knowledge and than bring in the experts to help them make the best decision possible.  It is almost as if the WIAA just wants to take the easiest way out without using any sort of common sense. or logic, and then hope people will stop making waves.  I think they lean on hoping that most have the attitude like some on here of..."Well it is better than nothing."  Again, where is the "fight" in some of you??  The majority of the people know a post season can be run giving the kids all the opportunities they deserve at the same time keeping people at risk and grandpa and grandma safe.

Ghetto

I apologize. This is a dumb question.

Do regionals HAVE to use the typical bracket for regionals?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 06, 2021, 12:55:51 PM
I did get confirmation from Wade that it would be 8 per weight class.  What a complete joke.  This will be devastating to many great wrestlers.

Next year should be back to normal, barring any unforeseen apocalypse or other catastrophes

Everyone:  Next year should be back to normal.

The WIAA: Hold my beer

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on January 06, 2021, 02:18:32 PM
I apologize. This is a dumb question.

Do regionals HAVE to use the typical bracket for regionals?
It is laid out in the WIAA rules on what brackets are used, and it seems Track has that handled.

hornbuckleb

I think their goal has always been to have only 8 at state for each division and no more than 8 person brackets at any state series competitions.  It is what it is, but would have made too much sense to:

Take Top Two from all regionals across all divisions
Combine sectionals in D1 - going from 8 sectionals down to 4, with top 2 from each sectional advance in all divisions.  Leave D2 and D3 as is other than from top 3 to top 2, Each division is essentially the same.
Different location for state in each division with no spectators! - I don't see anyway they allow more than coaches and wrestlers.

DI already has this model which is broken into approximate geographics: A and B, C and D, E and F, G and H.  WIAA will struggle to get 8 locations to host Sectionals in D1

I am interested to see if they violate there own rules for Team State, or bypass and take only Sectional Tournament Winner

bigoil

They plan to allow Family members for fans at basketball and did for volleyball and football as well.

bulldog

so...has an alternate plan been brought up to the WIAA? or are we just bitching to inappropriate term1?

littleguy301

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on January 06, 2021, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on January 06, 2021, 01:49:58 PM
When is the state series then?

I have heard conflicting reports as to when individual state will happen.

Just call Heidi back and ask her. 

Great response.

I did ask q few questions and got no real answers. So I turned to this forum so I could get some responses and be able to sift through some answers and get something that sounds like an actual plan!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DarkKnight

Obviously, because there isn't any set tournament yet. so be patient.

Keaton Kluever

I think we need to stop complaining about this season, wrestlers are getting the opportunity to wrestle. Nothing this year will be ideal and that's the way it is. lots of places don't have the opportunity to wrestle this season so for this to even be an option is incredible. 8 people going isn't amazing it makes it harder, yes but it won't be devastating for the great wrestlers. Great wrestlers will find their way to make it to the state tournament and succeed. Now there will be plenty of wrestlers who would make it on a normal year I agree, but the great wrestlers you're talking about 99% of them will still get there.