Masks for Wrestling

Started by 400excracer, November 23, 2020, 08:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

400excracer

I just found out that my son is required to wear a mask while wrestling in practice and meets. I personally think it is dangerous. Am I the only one that feels this way? It is hard enough to breath when wrestling let alone trying to do it with a mask on. Thoughts?

GradeTough

Quote from: 400excracer on November 23, 2020, 08:48:19 AM
I just found out that my son is required to wear a mask while wrestling in practice and meets. I personally think it is dangerous. Am I the only one that feels this way? It is hard enough to breath when wrestling let alone trying to do it with a mask on. Thoughts?
I agree. The question is whether a particular type of mask is being recommended. Because I agree there could be harm than good. I don't think the typical mask or face coverings people are wearing were designed for anaerobic exercise.

DarkKnight

A huge concern many have is when a wrestler gets lightheaded, dizzy, etc... close to passing out or passes out. If a kid starts hyperventilating, matches will have to be stopped.

I'm sure then the mask will be removed and they'll be allowed to get enough oxygen. Of course, the trainer will be wearing a mask so it will all be safe. should be treated like an injury timeout, so many minutes to catch catch their breath.

Referees and coaches will be aware of the state of the wrestlers I'm sure.

The average kid typically gets out of breath without masks, so this will be interesting to see how wrestlers can adjust.

I'm sure coaches and referees will take all the necessary precautions to keep the wrestlers safe while wrestling with masks.

CoachC

I worry as well. My kiddo has braces and it is hard enough for him to breath with the mouth guard, now adding a mask on top seems dangerous.

DarkKnight

With wearing masks during practices, wrestlers will get conditioned and use to it. They'll know how to manage and pace.

A wrestling match isn't a 6 minute sprint. Wrestlers can and will adjust

thequad

I think a mask circulating the head and connected to the head gear would work the best!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

bigG

Quote from: DarkKnight on November 23, 2020, 12:32:57 PM
With wearing masks during practices, wrestlers will get conditioned and use to it. They'll know how to manage and pace.

A wrestling match isn't a 6 minute sprint. Wrestlers can and will adjust

Maybe not your wrestlers!! JK, I agree 110%. Wrestlers are tough people.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Are masks required for practice, but not for competition?

I read the October 9th guideline from the WIAA.

Has it been updated since then?
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

madeyson

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on November 24, 2020, 09:57:12 AM
Are masks required for practice, but not for competition?

I read the October 9th guideline from the WIAA.

Has it been updated since then?

Required for both - October 9 guideline did not take into account Evers mask mandate in Wisconsin.

DocWrestling

The WIAA has stated that masks will be required for all indoor activities as long as Evers has a mask mandate.  I suppose you could dream that the mask mandate might end by February 1st but I highly doubt it.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!