Gomez Extension...

Started by Scourge, March 14, 2013, 03:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scourge

Brewers sign Carlos Gomez to an extension....3 years 24 million, 7 next year, 8 the following and 9 the final year.

He was in his last year of free agency, and with Scott Boras as his agent, it was INCREDIBLY unlikely the Brewers were going to get this done.  Now the question is was Gomez the last two years worth 3/24.

BJ Upton who hit .246 BA, .298 OBP, .454 SLG with an OPS of .752 with 28 Hr's 31 SB 633 PA's and a WAR of 3.3
Gomez on the other hand .260 BA, .305 OBP, .463 SLG with an OPS of .768 with 19 Hr's 39 SB's with a WAR of 3.5
Gomez is 27, Upton is about 16 months older.
Upton gets 5 years and 75.2 million dollars as a Free Agent. 

Upton has a much better track record.
Gomez is a much-much better defender. 

He's also been worth playing almost exclusively because of his defense prior to this season until he finally added some value because he started to hit for some power and get more AB's. 

So I think it's a great deal.  I think it would have been a much better idea to give him 14 million this year so that instead of paying him 4.3 this year and then 24 over the next 3, we could be paying him 14 million the next three years and save money for the future when we're so far under budget this year....but that's just me. 

Overall, opinions?  Risky deal, but the upside is HUGE if Gomez can just play like he did last year.  If he can actually improve?  If he can hit 25 Hr's, steal 40 bases and hit .260/.315, it's a GREAT deal with his defense.

Plus, we've got him signed through the age of 30 and then Boras can get some other team to pony up a big deal, we'll have had him through his peak years. 

Of course people will inevitably go to Bill Hall, but....those are the risks you've got to take in order for the big reward.  If we waited another year, he'd have been worth 15+ million on the open market.

Though still, I suspect people won't be huge fans of this move.  Still needs to prove it a LITTLE more to me, but if we'd waited for that, Boras never would have had him sign it.

Houndhead

Pretty much in agreement with you Scourge. There is some risk for the Brewers, but also a chance to be a great deal for them. I am not always happy with the results from Gomez, but you can never question the effort from him. I have believe one of the reasons the Brewers did this deal is because they see how hard Gomez has worked to improve. If he can get his OB% in the .350 range that is his stated goal, he will be an all-star. At the very least, he will be a #8 hitter that plays great defense.

Scourge

Quote from: Houndhead on March 14, 2013, 05:18:44 AM
Pretty much in agreement with you Scourge. There is some risk for the Brewers, but also a chance to be a great deal for them. I am not always happy with the results from Gomez, but you can never question the effort from him. I have believe one of the reasons the Brewers did this deal is because they see how hard Gomez has worked to improve. If he can get his OB% in the .350 range that is his stated goal, he will be an all-star. At the very least, he will be a #8 hitter that plays great defense.

This isn't hyperbole, if he can get his OBP to .350, and maintain the power he had last season, the base running(no reason to expect the base running to dip) he'll be the most valuable CF'er in baseball this year. 

I think .350 would be just amazing from Gomez, but if he can just get it to....320 I think he's going to be a great signing. 

If he had an OBP of .350....he'd probably end up stealing 100 bases, he'd hit for more power, and he'd be an absolute wreaking ball atop our lineup.  Then you could put him at leadoff, Aoki #2, Braun/Aram/Hart/Weeks/Luc and have Segura hit 8th.

On Segura, now this is coming from Brewers employees, so take it for what it's worth, but Rock doesn't usually use hyperbole, but he said that in talking to other scouts from other teams, they believe Segura is going to become a superstar SS.  One of the best in the game(though Texas might have the 2 best SS's in baseball right now). 

DrSnide

I like the deal. I think if Gomez can just maintain the progress he made last year its a good deal.  If he gets any better, its a great deal. 

As you say, his defense alone makes him a good CF, if he can get on base consistently (he appears to be taking a few more walks at least) he's going to be very good.  That and he cracks me up.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Scourge

Quote from: DrSnide on March 14, 2013, 03:27:07 PM
I like the deal. I think if Gomez can just maintain the progress he made last year its a good deal.  If he gets any better, its a great deal. 

As you say, his defense alone makes him a good CF, if he can get on base consistently (he appears to be taking a few more walks at least) he's going to be very good.  That and he cracks me up.

Yeah, he's hilarious to watch out there.  Catching the ball in CF and then doing a forward roll just to stop his momentum! 

He's basically like one of those hyperactive little dogs when he's playing baseball.  It looks like he just can't WAIT to start playing!  It's fun to watch.  It's more fun to watch when he's getting on base like you say. 

Now I wonder what's going to happen with Logan Schaefer.  He's a really good looking young CF'er. 

DrSnide

Quote from: Scourge on March 15, 2013, 03:09:39 PM
Quote from: DrSnide on March 14, 2013, 03:27:07 PM

Yeah, he's hilarious to watch out there.  Catching the ball in CF and then doing a forward roll just to stop his momentum! 

He's basically like one of those hyperactive little dogs when he's playing baseball.  It looks like he just can't WAIT to start playing!  It's fun to watch.  It's more fun to watch when he's getting on base like you say. 

Now I wonder what's going to happen with Logan Schaefer.  He's a really good looking young CF'er. 

I always assumed that Schaefer will be a 4th OF soon enough but that would be a waste.  Although Aoki is only signed through this year so maybe he breaks through next year?  Actually, I wonder if at some point Braun doesn't end up as the solution to 1st base if Hart ever gets moved (not this year obviously) and that opens up a spot?  I assume before the end of his contract Braun will be at 1st which is where LFs go when they age a bit and can't DH but that probably won't be for awhile. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

dietac

Quote from: DrSnide on March 15, 2013, 03:27:06 PM
I always assumed that Schaefer will be a 4th OF soon enough but that would be a waste.  Although Aoki is only signed through this year so maybe he breaks through next year?  Actually, I wonder if at some point Braun doesn't end up as the solution to 1st base if Hart ever gets moved (not this year obviously) and that opens up a spot?  I assume before the end of his contract Braun will be at 1st which is where LFs go when they age a bit and can't DH but that probably won't be for awhile. 

Even though Aoki is only signed through next year, the Brewers own his rights for the next five years I believe.  Blocking Shafer doesn't really bother me, I'm not sold on him.
George "The Animal" Steele

Scourge

Quote from: dietac on March 15, 2013, 03:54:41 PM
Quote from: DrSnide on March 15, 2013, 03:27:06 PM

Even though Aoki is only signed through next year, the Brewers own his rights for the next five years I believe.  Blocking Shafer doesn't really bother me, I'm not sold on him.

They have him signed for next year, and they have a team option for next year.  Beyond that, he'll be a Free Agent. 

neutral

There's nothing to not like about this deal.

If he continues offensively at last years' pace ... it's a bonus.

A great centerfielder is worth going to the ballpark for!

I am grateful they they did not become so enamoured of Tony Plush as to have traded Carlos ... as many suggested.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."