Askren resigns... Calls out Bono?

Started by head57, August 10, 2020, 10:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman

Quote from: bigG on August 13, 2020, 11:01:03 AM
You hide in your parents basement behind an anonymous screen name? I just don't think I know you anymore, dman. We've grown apart.

It'll all come out in the wash. Ben may have had some emotion when posting that. We've all been guilty of that. 'Cept me. ;)

LOL!  That made me laugh BigG!  And yeah...since the Covid threads went away I feel like we too have grown apart!

bigG

Quote from: dman on August 13, 2020, 12:50:43 PM
You hide in your parents basement behind an anonymous screen name? I just don't think I know you anymore, dman. We've grown apart.

It'll all come out in the wash. Ben may have had some emotion when posting that. We've all been guilty of that. 'Cept me. ;)

LOL!  That made me laugh BigG!  And yeah...since the Covid threads went away I feel like we too have grown apart!

LOL! Remember the good ole days when we just psst n moaned about politics, WIAA and even wrestling? I long for those simpler times.

Honestly, all this isolation has brought ought some of the 70s in me. I've learned to bake 6 kinds of bread I couldn't before. Gives me a reason to call my mom more often. Spent a lot of time with my 13.5 old dog. Lots of time with my kids, who were both home for two months. Great to have the family back united. Virtual teaching/learning isn't my strong suits. Isn't for most kids, either. But, it's reality. I sure feel for airline workers, restaurant hospitality people, among many others who have questionable employment right now.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Harris

Huge Askren Fan, Huge Bono fan - very bummed out by this news. 

npope

Quote from: Harris on August 13, 2020, 10:30:28 PM
Huge Askren Fan, Huge Bono fan - very bummed out by this news.

I too am very disappointed with this outcome, but not because I am necessarily such a big fan of these two special guys. They each come with their own baggage and issues, but they also are each excellent at what they do and the (shotgun?) marriage that brought them together initially in WI had the potential for something great. I hope that WI wrestling can scramble and recover from this, but in these uncertain times, it just seems like everything is left to fester until some unknown date in the future. Not sure as to what kind of rabbit Bono can pull out of his hat on this one...time will tell.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

dman

Quote from: bigG on August 13, 2020, 07:20:05 PM
Quote from: dman on August 13, 2020, 12:50:43 PM

LOL! Remember the good ole days when we just psst n moaned about politics, WIAA and even wrestling? I long for those simpler times.

Honestly, all this isolation has brought ought some of the 70s in me. I've learned to bake 6 kinds of bread I couldn't before. Gives me a reason to call my mom more often. Spent a lot of time with my 13.5 old dog. Lots of time with my kids, who were both home for two months. Great to have the family back united. Virtual teaching/learning isn't my strong suits. Isn't for most kids, either. But, it's reality. I sure feel for airline workers, restaurant hospitality people, among many others who have questionable employment right now.

Totally!!  I miss those times as well.

Yeah...this Covid craps has made a lot of things change and some definitely for the better.  And I agree I feel the same about the airline workers, restaurant/hospitality workers, etc.  I look forward to the day that we figure all this stuff out and do a way better job as a nation preparing for something like this.  We sure had the warning signs from SARs, bird, etc.  And we know this won't be the last bad bug we have to deal with.

bigG

If nothing else, you appreciate the little things a little more. Having my kids home was big for my wife and me. But, we're back to an empty nest; which is nice, too.

Ben stepping down is a dang shame, though. Like most on here I was so stoked when Ben took the RTC job. Some things just aren't meant to last... like lamb chops.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

asdfg

Besides blasting leadership on the way out, what has Ben accomplished in his tenure?  Compare it to other RTC's and prove to me Wisconsin RTC has gained ground with Ben at the helm.

Ghetto

Quote from: asdfg on August 15, 2020, 08:42:41 PM
Besides blasting leadership on the way out, what has Ben accomplished in his tenure?  Compare it to other RTC's and prove to me Wisconsin RTC has gained ground with Ben at the helm.

It's hard to disagree with this, but I'd say it's more of a money issue than anything. The big money RTCs get guys to come.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrestlemania

The big money RTCs get guys to come.

Indeed and money, or lack of it, is one of those underlying problems the sport has had in the state. A steak fry only brings in so much and the program has never had the big donors compared to other schools who can fund an RTC which attracts the best talent.

leg turk

Lunatic Fringe

Quote from: leg turk on September 23, 2020, 06:42:17 AM
Have they replaced Ben yet?

I've brought this up on the forum before. In my opinion it's difficult to follow the RTC without knowing who the athletes and coaches are.

Who is the head coach?
Who are the male athletes? (Is Nick Becker still around?)
Who are the female athletes?

littleguy301

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on September 25, 2020, 02:01:10 PM

I've brought this up on the forum before. In my opinion it's difficult to follow the RTC without knowing who the athletes and coaches are.

Who is the head coach?

Does the rtc even have a place to train?
What is there plan.

I know Sean has been on here posting about events but I am not sure as to what is going on either in these interesting times.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

dad 2 5

Quote from: littleguy301 on September 26, 2020, 10:13:59 AM

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on September 25, 2020, 02:01:10 PM

Who is the head coach?

Does the rtc even have a place to train?
What is there plan.

I know Sean has been on here posting about events but I am not sure as to what is going on either in these interesting times.

I am sure lots will be announced and talked about at the Steak Feed