Askren resigns... Calls out Bono?

Started by head57, August 10, 2020, 10:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckyfan3000

Quote from: leg turk on August 11, 2020, 01:55:33 PM
Quote from: hardcore3 on August 11, 2020, 01:23:29 PM
Askren is BAD for Wisconsin wrestling.  Cares more about the bottom line of his wrestling school than what is better for the sport.  Sad that so many people worship someone who is clearly out for himself and not the betterment of the sport in this state.  If dude had any class, why would he out it out publicly?  Covid 19 has affected everybody Ben.  Grow up!

What should a first post look like?  Heaven forbid a topic gets someone interested enough to start posting on this forum and they get shredded simply for being their first post?  Its no wonder there is not more new users on this site.

That being said, I disagree that Ben Askren is bad for Wisconsin Wrestling.  On the lone fact that He has built the top wrestling schools in the state and not long ago added to that taking over the Advanced program.  If UW plans to keep in state top talent in the future hopefully they can "burry the hatchet" and find some mutual respect in the future, because i'm sure Ben Askren is instrumental to doing so. 

I also found it interesting that Tristan Moran liked the Tweet, I understand he is coaching at the Madison Academy and his own person but assumed he still had/has a good relationship with the UW coaches and would otherwise stay out away from it.  I'm sure more will come out with time. 

As a monthly donor I'd like to hear an update from the RTC on the state of program after the release of such big news.

wrastle63

Quote from: Buckyfan3000 on August 11, 2020, 02:49:39 PM
Quote from: leg turk on August 11, 2020, 01:55:33 PM
Askren is BAD for Wisconsin wrestling.  Cares more about the bottom line of his wrestling school than what is better for the sport.  Sad that so many people worship someone who is clearly out for himself and not the betterment of the sport in this state.  If dude had any class, why would he out it out publicly?  Covid 19 has affected everybody Ben.  Grow up!

What should a first post look like?  Heaven forbid a topic gets someone interested enough to start posting on this forum and they get shredded simply for being their first post?  Its no wonder there is not more new users on this site.

That being said, I disagree that Ben Askren is bad for Wisconsin Wrestling.  On the lone fact that He has built the top wrestling schools in the state and not long ago added to that taking over the Advanced program.  If UW plans to keep in state top talent in the future hopefully they can "burry the hatchet" and find some mutual respect in the future, because i'm sure Ben Askren is instrumental to doing so. 

I also found it interesting that Tristan Moran liked the Tweet, I understand he is coaching at the Madison Academy and his own person but assumed he still had/has a good relationship with the UW coaches and would otherwise stay out away from it.  I'm sure more will come out with time. 

As a monthly donor I'd like to hear an update from the RTC on the state of program after the release of such big news.
Agreed. A very vague statement from Ben with allegations that don't make it seem like a good situation.

downtown

Ben has always been good for Wisconsin wrestling.  From highschool to international he always kept Wisconsin wrestling relevant.  He would do a tremendous job as the HC and be around for years.  A little outspoken.  But a pretty big character guy and willing to eat the  humble pie when he got trashed in his MMA fights. 

bigG

I thought that, if Gross stuck around, he and Ben would be the ultimate RTC coaches. Can't always get what you want, though. That sucks. Say what you want about Ben; he's was/is an excellent wrestler/coach.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

mkm13

Given Askren's commitment to all the other things he has going, IMO the biggest thing he brought UW and the RTC was his name.  This is not meant as a negative as he would likely be a great coach if he dedicated his time to it, he is just so busy with other things.  He also has a bad hip that will have surgery on soon, so he isn't going to be able to push guys in the room like he would have otherwise.

I think his name probably meant the most in terms of recruiting for UW, not the RTC.  I do not think it mattered much for the RTC as it still came down to money available and paying the RTC athletes, which we do not have at this point relative to the top programs.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how much having him at the RTC helped bring in kids.  It really didn't with WI kids yet (the 1 instate high level kid at an elite level we didn't even get).  It may have helped with Amos, etc.

Hopefully the relationship with the coaches and Askren will be good enough where it atleast won't hurt UW's chances with instate kids. 

BuckyMatt

Askren is a great Ambassador for the State and the Sport and he definitely helped grow the RTC while he was involved! 

I fully trust and support Bono and his integrity and the future is very bright for the Badgers and the RTC!  All programs deal with changes and coaching movement and Bono has handled all of the changes and setbacks with the program so far as a true leader!

imnofish

Totally agree!  Loose cannon!  I was quite relieved when he didn't end up becoming the Badgers head coach.  He's just too disruptive.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Coach V

Bono and Reader, and Ben will all play a huge part in Wisconsin Wrestling getting better. Whether they are working together or separately. At the University and the State level. They will figure it out.

V
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

bigG

The forbidden one speaks.  :D

Hope you've been good, MV.

Love him or hate him, Ben's for real.

npope

Quote from: colekaden on August 12, 2020, 11:18:55 AM
Bono and Reader, and Ben will all play a huge part in Wisconsin Wrestling getting better. Whether they are working together or separately. At the University and the State level. They will figure it out.

"... working together or separately..." is one thing, but openly accusing the other of a lack of integrity cannot be good for WI wrestling, no matter how one might like to spin it.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrestlemania

""... working together or separately..." is one thing, but openly accusing the other of a lack of integrity cannot be good for WI wrestling, no matter how one might like to spin it."

No it isn't and if he's not going to be more specific it just leaves a lot of questions hanging out there and lot of room for rumor and speculation which no one in the state's wrestling community needs at this point. You don't throw something like that out there and just let it stand for itself and again points back to his biggest weakness: his lack of maturity. Either you resign quietly if its a honest disagreement with other parties and go about your business or if you do believe something is wrong, really wrong in the community and wish to call it out, then do so because hiding things doesn't work either. If there's a problem it needs to be spelled out and fixed!

And people thought: "if we just get rid of Davis" everything would be peachy-keen in Wisconsin Wrestling as if the all the problems with the sport in this state and with the University of Wisconsin were all somehow all his fault. I'm sure Ben thought that too. Well as it turns out, as some have pointed out in these Forums, there are underlying issues deeper than just one person.  And that's what is behind his resignation, it would be nice to know so we can get to the heart of the matter. 

"If the RTC has to decide between paying for a volunteer assistant coach or having Askren as an RTC head coach, I will take having Askren associated with the program."

"And don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Gross being on staff (but I don't like losing McD - wish the Badgers could keep both), but I am simply saying that this whole transaction took place in the "shadows" while still in the light of day for anyone who cared to watch. And let me say, from McD's perspective this whole situation bites...big time. I sympathize with him and his family. Collegiate sports isn't always the nicest of businesses."

Are these the underlying problems related to the situation?

McD was notified from Bono that he would be non-renewed after Big Tens.   Only reasoning being that McD was just a fill in coach for 2 years until Bono could bring Seth onto staff.

Boy, I hope McDonough knew this when he was hired two years ago especially with a family to support.

dman

But it is acceptable to you to anonymously go online and bash someone you don't know...got it!   ::) ::)  Would love to see you have that same conversation with Ben face to face.

npope

Quote from: dman on August 13, 2020, 07:26:42 AM
But it is acceptable to you to anonymously go online and bash someone you don't know...got it!   ::) ::)  Would love to see you have that same conversation with Ben face to face.

Two of the four quotes wrestlemania cited originally came from me...and my name is at the bottom of every post I make. Anonymity certainly can embolden some people to says things they might not ordinarily say face-to-face...but if the shoe fits, I think one should wear it instead of trying to discredit the content because of the anonymous source.

That said, I am sure Askren has a basis for his comments, maybe even a perfectly valid basis for being upset - but I have no clue as to what is going on. But the fact of the matter is that airing the issue publicly without further detail only hurts WI wrestling. Ben's a smart guy; he delivered that comment with intent. Maybe he has a good reason (I have no idea), but in the end, publicly denigrating the UW wrestling program leadership only hurts WI wrestling.

And too, are you thinking that having this conversation with Ben is going to result in him trying to physically intimidate a person? My gosh, certainly Ben could dismantle just about anybody if he so choose to, but his wit and intellect are are just as keen - he doesn't need muscle to defend himself in this particular cat fight.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

dman

I wasn't referring to you npope.  You didn't bash Ben personally but rather the approach.  I have no problem for a public figure getting criticized for the content of something they "put out there" publicly, but I find it "weak" to sit and bash them personally because you disagree with an approach, or said content (and yes there is a line for when the content becomes hate speech or such)...it probably has to do with my disdain for what social media has turned into...people gleam things about someone based on a social media post and then feel they know enough about them personally because of it...and then hide anonymously behind a screen name or in their parents basement.  Har Har.  Heck I know I have done it.

bigG

You hide in your parents basement behind an anonymous screen name? I just don't think I know you anymore, dman. We've grown apart.

It'll all come out in the wash. Ben may have had some emotion when posting that. We've all been guilty of that. 'Cept me. ;)