Carlton Haselrig, 6X NCAA Champion, dies at 54

Started by TomM, July 22, 2020, 12:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Johnstown sports legend Carlton Haselrig, former Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro, dies at 54

https://www.tribdem.com/coronavirus/johnstown-sports-legend-carlton-haselrig-former-pittsburgh-steelers-all-pro-dies-at-54/article_890457b0-cc2f-11ea-8262-7be555af80d0.html

Gallery

https://www.tribdem.com/gallery/photo-gallery-images-of-the-late-carlton-haselrig-ncaa-champion-at-upj-and-pittsburgh-steelers/collection_2af1f8e4-cc34-11ea-8d09-d3795a5bc974.html#11

Part of the article... Amazing guy...

"Haselrig, a Greater Johnstown High School graduate, achieved fame as a wrestler and professional football player in the 1980s and 1990s. He's a member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, the Cambria County Sports Hall of Fame and the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown's Athletics Hall of Fame.

He won a PIAA wrestling title in 1984, even though Greater Johnstown High School didn't have a varsity wrestling program at the time. Competing as a one-man team during his senior year, he went 10-0 and won the district, regional and state titles in the unlimited weight class.

He won six NCAA wrestling titles at Division II Pitt-Johnstown in the late 1980s, three each at the Division I and Division II levels. At the time, champions from the NCAA Division II and Division III tournaments earned chances to compete for the Division I championship – but Haselrig's unprecedented run of success at the top level prompted the NCAA to create the so-called "Haselrig Rule," which bars small-school champions from moving on to the Division I tournament. That means his six titles will likely never be matched."
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

Likely? I'd say it will never be matched. We aren't going back to letting D2 wrestlers into the tournament, though I think it would be great to bring it back.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove