Haley Augello

Started by Ghetto, July 19, 2020, 10:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Reader and Bono both just followed her on Twitter...

Great day to be a WRTC Badger?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Numbers

2016 OLYMPIAN HALEY AUGELLO ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT ON INSTAGRAM
By Gary Abbott, USA Wrestling | July 26, 2020, 1:43 p.m. (ET)

On Saturday, 2016 Olympian Haley Augello announced her retirement from competition via Instagram.

With a photo from the Olympic Games as the graphic, Augello posted this:

After much thought & consideration, I officially would like to announce my retirement from Women's Wrestling. Wrestling is a sport that can give & take so much. I will never regret the years of sacrifices I've made because it has brought me to 27 countries, to World Championships, to the 2016 Olympics, and, most importantly, it has brought me to lifelong friendships. Although I am putting out the flame of my competitive days, my fire will NEVER stop burning in the pursuit of athlete equality & safety. When one door closes, another opens. Big things coming soon. Thank you Terry Steiner, @chunk48, @funky_gold_medina, @boomonday, and @sunkistkids for the unconditional love & support. And a special thank you to my family & @beckaleathers for being my solstice in a sport that can be so mentally & physically grueling. I love you all & am so thankful for those who have followed my journey.

Augello has been one of the nation's best women athletes, going back to her days in high school in Lockport, Ill. In her first full year of competitive freestyle, Auguello won the UWW Cadet Nationals in 2011 and went on to claim a 2011 Cadet World title at 46 kg in Szombathely, Hungary.

On the Senior level, he was No. 1 in the USA for two straight years. In 2016, she dropped to 48 kg and won the U.S. Olympic Team Trials, and went on to place ninth in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazi. In 2017, Augello moved up to 53 kg, made the U.S. World Team and placed eighth in the World Championships in Paris, France.

Currently, Augello is ranked No. 3 on Women's Team USA at 53 kg. She had qualified to compete in the U.S. Olympic Team Trials, which have been postponed until 2021. She is respected for her aggressive wrestling style, which includes a powerful offense.

Augello competed for college power King University, claiming three WCWA titles in three attempts as a student-athlete there. She competed on two U.S. Junior World Teams.

Haley Augello Career Highlights:
- Ninth in 2016 Olympic Games
- Eighth in 2017 World Championships
- 2011 Cadet World champion
- Second in 1st World Olympic Qualifier (Mongolia)
- Second at U.S. Open (2013, 2016, 2018)
- 2018 World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion
- 2016 University Nationals champion
- Two-time U.S. Junior World Team member
- Third in 2014 Pan American Championships
- Three-time WCWA college nationals champion for King Univ.