Badger Coaching Changes

Started by npope, June 03, 2020, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walden_hiker

Keaton Kluever

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 04, 2020, 10:14:18 AM
Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on June 04, 2020, 09:45:25 AM
Sometimes it feels like we're still in the Barry Davis days with the lack of communication from Bono and company.

I know Bono does the "Jump Around Monday" but it's normally just surface information that we already know. (Regardless I watch every single one of them and rather enjoy them.)

I don't believe there's a more forthright coach in all of NCAAs than Bono.

I'm not even sure what you're referencing when you say "we're still in the Barry Davis days." If you saw how little info Cael shares with anyone about his program, it would change your prospective, I think.
Forthright LOL... yeah ok we'll go with that

littleguy301

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on June 13, 2020, 01:54:16 AM
Sometimes it feels like we're still in the Barry Davis days with the lack of communication from Bono and company.

I know Bono does the "Jump Around Monday" but it's normally just surface information that we already know. (Regardless I watch every single one of them and rather enjoy them.)

I'm not even sure what you're referencing when you say "we're still in the Barry Davis days." If you saw how little info Cael shares with anyone about his program, it would change your prospective, I think.

Bono is a heck of a marketer for sure.

I certainly get alot more info now with bono then when Davis was the coach. Kind of fun to hear the badgers talking alot more.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

wrastle63

Sour grapes?

npope

Quote from: wrastle63 on June 14, 2020, 03:22:30 PM
Sour grapes?
Why? Is there a back-story here that most of us (I mean me) are not aware of?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Harris

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 16, 2020, 02:03:22 PM
Quote from: JJones on June 16, 2020, 11:29:06 AM
So Bono had Matt McDonough move his wife and kids to Madison for one year knowing full well he would bring in Gross in 2020?  I doubt it.

I don't think it really changes your point, but Bono, Reader and McDonough have been together two seasons.

I could envision a scenario where the plan was for the WRTC to pick him up, but to not have it sufficiently funded to make that happen.

In my opinion, both guys are phenomenal.  McDonough is a class act and he will be missed but Gross is going to be a great coach as well.  It will be good for McDonough to work on another staff to build that coaching resume and get more experience.  Many assistant coaches are looking for bigger and better opportunities and have to move on to new locations to make it happen.  I for one will be a fan of McDonough's no matter where he ends up.

bigG

+1 Harris I don't see the negatives here. It wasn't announced. Who gives a rip.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 17, 2020, 08:13:55 AM
Quote from: bigG on June 17, 2020, 06:16:33 AM
+1 Harris I don't see the negatives here. It wasn't announced. Who gives a rip.

Plus, like, it was announced. Vigorously.

Bono - https://twitter.com/ChrisBono/status/1271129157641154561?s=20
Reader - https://twitter.com/Jon_Reader/status/1271144436295241730?s=20
Badger Wrestling #1 - https://twitter.com/BadgerWrestling/status/1271128947246411776?s=20
Badger Wrestling #2 - https://twitter.com/BadgerWrestling/status/1271129400122146816?s=20
Badger Wrestling #3 - https://twitter.com/BadgerWrestling/status/1271176581772271616?s=20
WI Wrestling - https://twitter.com/WI_Wrestling/status/1271238871083290624?s=20
Track - https://twitter.com/trackwrestling/status/1271438778012483586?s=20
USA Wrestling - https://twitter.com/USAWrestling/status/1271137672229269504?s=20
Intermat - https://twitter.com/InterMat/status/1271151349728608257?s=20
The Wrestling Museum - https://twitter.com/wrestlingmuseum/status/1271222314412236801?s=20
Madison.com - https://twitter.com/MadisonSport/status/1271135747056099328?s=20
Channel 3000 - https://twitter.com/Jon_Reader/status/1272849976155164672?s=20

Basically, when we all seemed to know it was a done deal, there was a "t" that still needed crossing. That's all.

I think the point is, the one that precipitated my initial post on the matter a few weeks back, was that the rumors were flying nationally that Gross was coming on board and McD was out, and yet no official announcement by the program had yet been made. You are correct that around the beginning of June there were plenty of official announcements, but prior to that, the UW system publicly posted the opening and yet nothing official was coming out of the UW program. That is the "lack of public" announcement to which I originally referred.

Nat Pope

npope

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 17, 2020, 09:51:43 AM
Occam's Razor is that it wasn't *official* until last week, so that's when they announced it. Like it or not, state jobs have red tape galore.
That is true with respect to the hiring, but not true with respect to the firing. The school posted the position opening and thus, that spot was open...for whatever reason - quit, fired, resigned, etc. But nothing regarding McD's departure was officially announced (please correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't see it and no one on the forum posted anything more than rumors). Gussy it up any way you want, the UW athletics/wrestling program sat on this information until Gross' hire was official.

And don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Gross being on staff (but I don't like losing McD - wish the Badgers could keep both), but I am simply saying that this whole transaction took place in the "shadows" while still in the light of day for anyone who cared to watch. And let me say, from McD's perspective this whole situation bites...big time. I sympathize with him and his family. Collegiate sports isn't always the nicest of businesses.

As some posters have postulated, this might likely have been part of a longer term plan to get Gross to compete for WI to begin with; use McD as a "seat warmer" for a year or two until Gross graduated and came on staff. Maybe, but that would be pretty cold on Bono's part...although we've all seen worse in the NCAA.

More likely, and I have no evidence whatsoever to support this, I suspect that, given the recent hires by the RTC and the UW coaching staff, there was a loose plan in place to bring Gross in as an assistant coach at the RTC upon graduation (otherwise McD would have likely bolted a year ago or never signed on with the UW to begin with - I would think he would have smelled the plan to pull Gross on to the staff upon graduation unless some other plan was in the works). However, I also suspect that the fund raising for the RTC fell short in terms of generating enough money to pull in an assistant with Gross' credentials (he would have other options if he chose to pursue them) so the plan had to be reworked a bit and that led to letting McD go and hiring Sebastian (at a relatively lower salary) for the RTC.

Again, all conjecture on my part - absolutely no inside information.

Nat Pope

wrastle63

Quote from: npope on June 18, 2020, 07:37:26 AM
Occam's Razor is that it wasn't *official* until last week, so that's when they announced it. Like it or not, state jobs have red tape galore.
That is true with respect to the hiring, but not true with respect to the firing. The school posted the position opening and thus, that spot was open...for whatever reason - quit, fired, resigned, etc. But nothing regarding McD's departure was officially announced (please correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't see it and no one on the forum posted anything more than rumors). Gussy it up any way you want, the UW athletics/wrestling program sat on this information until Gross' hire was official.

And don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Gross being on staff (but I don't like losing McD - wish the Badgers could keep both), but I am simply saying that this whole transaction took place in the "shadows" while still in the light of day for anyone who cared to watch. And let me say, from McD's perspective this whole situation bites...big time. I sympathize with him and his family. Collegiate sports isn't always the nicest of businesses.

As some posters have postulated, this might likely have been part of a longer term plan to get Gross to compete for WI to begin with; use McD as a "seat warmer" for a year or two until Gross graduated and came on staff. Maybe, but that would be pretty cold on Bono's part...although we've all seen worse in the NCAA.

More likely, and I have no evidence whatsoever to support this, I suspect that, given the recent hires by the RTC and the UW coaching staff, there was a loose plan in place to bring Gross in as an assistant coach at the RTC upon graduation (otherwise McD would have likely bolted a year ago or never signed on with the UW to begin with - I would think he would have smelled the plan to pull Gross on to the staff upon graduation unless some other plan was in the works). However, I also suspect that the fund raising for the RTC fell short in terms of generating enough money to pull in an assistant with Gross' credentials (he would have other options if he chose to pursue them) so the plan had to be reworked a bit and that led to letting McD go and hiring Sebastian (at a relatively lower salary) for the RTC.

Again, all conjecture on my part - absolutely no inside information.
Pretty cold to hire a guy who has not had a college coaching position? Pretty cold to add to McDonoughs resume? Pretty cold to make a staff change that they wanted for a better fit/coach(in their opinion)?

There is no rule that you have to sign a guy and plan to keep him forever lol. Things change. Get over it. Wish McDonough the best of luck in whatever he does!

npope

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 18, 2020, 08:44:14 AM

Oh, I see what you're saying. No real announcement of parting ways with McDonough. I get why they might have wanted to announce the release and the hiring as a package deal, but your point, that there was "news" that they sat on, is definitely true. I'm always thirsty for more news, but I guess I'm fine with that.

Could it have been a courtesy to McD, to not make a big announcement that he was fired?

So, the program was being gracious to McD? Okay - I get it now  ::)

Nat Pope

bigG

Yeah, they have to post the job and accept applications and do interviews, etc.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

smitty71

Quote from: Luke Louison on June 18, 2020, 08:44:14 AM
Quote from: npope on June 18, 2020, 07:37:26 AM

Oh, I see what you're saying. No real announcement of parting ways with McDonough. I get why they might have wanted to announce the release and the hiring as a package deal, but your point, that there was "news" that they sat on, is definitely true. I'm always thirsty for more news, but I guess I'm fine with that.

Could it have been a courtesy to McD, to not make a big announcement that he was fired?

I'm also not sure, now, whether the McDonough being let go was contingent on Gross. I think it's possible that this was his last year either way.

But, I did hear that Gross has already started hitting the phones hard toward re-establishing recruiting roots in Minnesota. That's encouraging news, for sure!

Is that the case or did they think there were better options?  Was he year to year or did he have a long term deal in place?  Does anyone really know?
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

dman

Is it known if McD was fired or he quit?  Seems like there is a lot of speculation and subsequent judgment based on limited to no information.

Lunatic Fringe

From what I've been told.

McD was notified from Bono that he would be non-renewed after Big Tens.   Only reasoning being that McD was just a fill in coach for 2 years until Bono could bring Seth onto staff. 

McD is not happy about the situation at all and is currently looking at being a cop in Iowa City and helping out with the Iowa RTC again.

Where I'm confused is; why couldn't' that have Seth be a volunteer assistant, or just a full time RTC resident?  He can still help coach, wrestle with the badger wrestlers; and then you get to have both McD and Seth helping Wisconsin wrestling.