Badger Coaching Changes

Started by npope, June 03, 2020, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Perhaps it was all but a foregone conclusion, it would seem that McDonough is officially out and Gross is officially in as staff coaches. The content below was presented on The Mat.com. Not that this is surprising, but I am surprised that the Badger wrestling program hasn't made official announcements to this end - if it is indeed a done-deal by University standards, why keep the lid on it?

Gross listed as Asst Coach in Wisconsin Directory, no entry for McDonough (Bono and Reader in there as well)

https://www.wisc.edu/directories/person/?q=SETH A GROSS&email=sgross8%40wisc.edu&savedQuery=gross seth&returnPath=%2Fdirectories%2F

https://www.wisc.edu/directories/?q=mcdonough
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrastle63

I agree with you that it seemed like a forgone conclusion, but surprised there isn't an announcement. I was hoping that the Badgers would be able to bring in a volunteer assistant this year. Most other schools fill this spot. Oregon State just added Mike Kosoy to this position.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Perhaps when some of the craziness subsides they will formally announce it.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

BuckyMatt

Quote from: wrastle63 on June 03, 2020, 12:11:27 PM
I agree with you that it seemed like a forgone conclusion, but surprised there isn't an announcement. I was hoping that the Badgers would be able to bring in a volunteer assistant this year. Most other schools fill this spot. Oregon State just added Mike Kosoy to this position.

Volunteer Assistant Coaches are paid by the RTC.  Much more support is needed on a monthly basis before we can afford a Volunteer coach!! Please consider donating today!

wrastle63

Quote from: BuckyMatt on June 03, 2020, 10:27:45 PM

Volunteer Assistant Coaches are paid by the RTC.  Much more support is needed on a monthly basis before we can afford a Volunteer coach!! Please consider donating today!
Oregon State has a volunteer assistant but we don't have enough money for one?

mkm13

If the RTC has to decide between paying for a volunteer assistant coach or having Askren as an RTC head coach, I will take having Askren associated with the program.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: wrastle63 on June 04, 2020, 07:38:22 AM
Quote from: BuckyMatt on June 03, 2020, 10:27:45 PM

Oregon State has a volunteer assistant but we don't have enough money for one?
Yes

Lunatic Fringe

Sometimes it feels like we're still in the Barry Davis days with the lack of communication from Bono and company.

I know Bono does the "Jump Around Monday" but it's normally just surface information that we already know. (Regardless I watch every single one of them and rather enjoy them.)

npope

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on June 04, 2020, 09:45:25 AM
Sometimes it feels like we're still in the Barry Davis days with the lack of communication from Bono and company.

I know Bono does the "Jump Around Monday" but it's normally just surface information that we already know. (Regardless I watch every single one of them and rather enjoy them.)

I understand your sentiment but that said, by comparison to the BD years, I think Bono improved the communication and marketing of the program significantly. I get keeping a lid on injuries and privacy issues...and even some more sensitive issues on occasion. But I just don't see what the issue is here - we are left to scratch our heads. And maybe those in power feel that this is none of our (the fans) business, which is their prerogative. But that kind of attitude does not serve to pull fans closer to the program - fans want to feel like they are part of the program - not treated like disinterested bystanders. As for Luke's suggestion that we compare the UW program to the communication at PSU...I don't know if that is fair...for the UW. I acknowledge up front that I don't know what the internal workings of PSU are like, but repeatedly winning national championships goes a long ways toward cultivating fan buy-in. The UW largely exists in a separate universe.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

BuckyMatt

Talking with a reliable source, Seth Gross as the assistant is a done deal and they are still waiting to cross the T's and dot the I's, but with the covid-19 pandemic, it's slowing that down a bit.

SP

I think UW gave Bono the choice to have a volunteer coach or a RTC coach. Not sure if this accurate or if this is an NCAA rule.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

WRTCSean

The RTC is not affiliated with the university. The RTC can have a head coach and there can also be a volunteer assistant with the university. This is why donations and support through our legends club and fundraisers is so important!

imwi

Quote from: JJones on June 10, 2020, 08:31:27 AM
Quote from: thedecider on June 09, 2020, 10:30:49 AM
Was Gross enticed to transfer with the promise of a job after he finished school?

I thought his girlfriend or maybe it was his fiance was at the RTC?

Her name is Ronna Heaton & she qualified for the Olympic trials so I think she stands on her own.

littleguy301

Having gross on staff does free up money to possibly bring in some one else at the rtc. I would think it would be easier finding an rtc athlete than a college coach that can still compete at the Olympic level.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

leg turk

Who are the current wrestlers that are at the BRTC?  Seth and Ronna, who else?