WWF Kids State 2020

Started by rockhead, March 11, 2020, 12:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockhead

Will the tournament happen this year with fears of the coronavirus looming... Yes or No ???

Binfiller

Just guessing no...With the NCAA cracking down and not letting any public into any of the NCAA championships coming up and other sports leagues looking at possibly doing the same thing, I think things will trickle down. I hope I am wrong, but they will need to make that decision soon.

piratestrong

How about Dominate in the Dells this weekend?  Still on?  Anyone going to skip it due to concerns?

Binfiller

I am going to say Kids State will not happen. :'(

mikew

If the state tournament is not going to happen, I hope the WWF will make the decision sooner rather than later.  As a club that hosts a regional qualifier, we have a bunch of up front costs before the tournament even starts.  I would hate to go through all the preparations and then have the WWF cancel a couple days before the tournament.

DocWrestling

This will not be just a WWF decision.  The schools hosting these qualifiers may not want that many people coming into their school and they may not allow clubs to host?  A lot of this could come down to school administrators
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

GradeTough

The precedent has been set by BIG 10, BIG 12 ACC, SEC, NBA, WIAA Boys Basketball, UW universities and other local event organizers.

The WWF needs to issue a statement and stop waiting to do so. Say something that indicates an ongoing evaluation and monitoring is occuring. Heck, wrestling is all about contact and transferring stuff which is why we take ring worm and other stuff so seriously. We encourage our kids to clean immediately after practice and tournaments. So they should release soon so others can prepare / adjust accordingly. 

Binfiller

The Northeast Valley Middle School Conference scheduled for this Saturday was cancelled. This is a real well run and tough tournament to place at. Many tough schools in this conference.

bjb0501

Any info on Dominate in the Dells?  There's kids coming from multiple states, they should send out a statement soon.

bulldog24

Quote from: bjb0501 on March 12, 2020, 11:39:39 AM
Any info on Dominate in the Dells?  There's kids coming from multiple states, they should send out a statement soon.

I just saw a statement that Dominate in the Dells is still on as planned. They are going to run since a lot of people more than likely have already traveled to the event.

DocWrestling

As a club that is hosting a qualifier, I can tell you that the WWF is working hard on this issue.  They are making contact with each qualifier to check to see if they can still host in their respective schools and are checking with the Alliant Energy Center to see if they even have a decision to make.  They are also consulting with public health officials.  I do know that one school has told the club that they cannot use the school for the qualifier so that club is looking at alternate locations.

We are awaiting word from our school administrators but my impression is not good based on the other events that they are already canceling in our district.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

GradeTough

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 12, 2020, 12:44:48 PM
As a club that is hosting a qualifier, I can tell you that the WWF is working hard on this issue.  They are making contact with each qualifier to check to see if they can still host in their respective schools and are checking with the Alliant Energy Center to see if they even have a decision to make.  They are also consulting with public health officials.  I do know that one school has told the club that they cannot use the school for the qualifier so that club is looking at alternate locations.

We are awaiting word from our school administrators but my impression is not good based on the other events that they are already canceling in our district.

DocWrestling, thanks a million for the update. Please, please, please let us know if you hear the decision on the State series. I know a lot of us are monitoring this and trying to understand the outcome of what was recently released by the Governor on guidance as it relates to gathers of 250 or more.

bjb0501

250 or more?....there are 1400+ youth/teen wrestlers from multiple states planning to attend the Dells this weekend.  Wrestling is nothing but close contact, if sports such as baseball are cancelling events, how can a wrestling event still be scheduled? 

Just a little confused, if this event does still go on as planned, will it be safe to attend or not?

imwi

Quote from: bjb0501 on March 12, 2020, 01:14:14 PM
250 or more?....there are 1400+ youth/teen wrestlers from multiple states planning to attend the Dells this weekend.  Wrestling is nothing but close contact, if sports such as baseball are cancelling events, how can a wrestling event still be scheduled? 

Just a little confused, if this event does still go on as planned, will it be safe to attend or not?

I would think that's a decision you have to make for yourself, not people on a forum

jdwrestle

Was told that the IKWF has cancelled their state tourney
The harder you work, the harder it is to lose.