Zahid Valencia suspended

Started by MRL_84, February 20, 2020, 03:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

imwi

I read he's suspended from the team indefinitely and won't be competing in the trials.

crossface21

Over on themat.com forum the mods keep taking down any thread associated with zahid's suspension. Useless. Guess I don't need to go there anymore.

imwi

Quote from: crossface21 on February 20, 2020, 05:00:20 PM
Over on themat.com forum the mods keep taking down any thread associated with zahid's suspension. Useless. Guess I don't need to go there anymore.

Based on what?  This isn't rumor, is it?  Intermat has the article posted also.

GradeTough

I took recreational drug as weed. Dang...relaxing and got caught. What a shame. I bet he is just sweating bullets as others are working like crazy to appeal and get him back before post-season starts.

ChargerDad

Quote from: GradeTough on February 20, 2020, 05:11:12 PM
I took recreational drug as weed. Dang...relaxing and got caught. What a shame. I bet he is just sweating bullets as others are working like crazy to appeal and get him back before post-season starts.

Nothing I've seen out there says he tested positive for Marijuana.  There are actually rumors that it's not..  trouble is beyond what's in the articles, which is limited, we don't know much.  I guess I'll just wait for the facts to come out after his B sample is tested and react to whatever it is or isn't based on that.

crossface21

Woudn't sampble B already have come back positive? They aren't going to suspend a kid off of sample A, only to have to come back around reinstate him once sample B comes back negative. Would lead to a lot of second guessing in the process. That's how it's set up in the pros I believe.

ChargerDad

Quote from: crossface21 on February 20, 2020, 05:27:11 PM
Woudn't sampble B already have come back positive? They aren't going to suspend a kid off of sample A, only to have to come back around reinstate him once sample B comes back negative. Would lead to a lot of second guessing in the process. That's how it's set up in the pros I believe.

What I've been told is that the WADA notifies the tournament director, who then notifies the athlete, and that the B sample is only tested on appeal.

imwi

Quote from: GradeTough on February 20, 2020, 05:11:12 PM

There are other recreational drugs besides weed.

crossface21

Quote from: ChargerDad on February 20, 2020, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: crossface21 on February 20, 2020, 05:27:11 PM

What I've been told is that the WADA notifies the tournament director, who then notifies the athlete, and that the B sample is only tested on appeal.

This is what I found on the NCAA site:

What happens if a student-athlete tests positive?
Drug Free Sport International will provide your institution's director of athletics or designee the name of the student-athlete who tested positive and the substance found in their urine sample.

The institution/student-athlete has the option to be present at the lab for the opening of the B sample or a surrogate may be designated.

If the B sample is positive, Drug Free Sport International will notify the director of athletics or designee and the student-athlete will be declared ineligible

If the student-athlete tested positive for a substance for which a medical exception is warranted, the institution may request a medical exception. Drug Free Sport International will assist with the medical exception process.

I also found this:

The NCAA tests for steroids, peptide hormones and masking agents year-round and also tests for stimulants and recreational drugs during championships. Member schools also may test for these substances as part of their athletics department drug-deterrence programs.

So by the sound of this if I'm reading it correctly, unless ASU was doing their own testing as part of their own drug policy, this isn't a positive marijuana test. It's a steriod, masking agent, etc.

imwi

But it was an international competition so I'm guessing it was WADA or one of those groups that tested him.

Coke, the illegal kind.  Time will tell, I think it will come out eventually.

wrastle63

Someone posted that this was his 3rd positive test at ASU which is why it is an indefinite suspension.

imwi

Quote from: imwi on February 21, 2020, 06:10:28 AM
But it was an international competition so I'm guessing it was WADA or one of those groups that tested him.

Coke, the illegal kind.  Time will tell, I think it will come out eventually.

Fake news, WWW has not confirmed anything, I read some of the early breaking news which appears to have incorrect