Deep fried pheasant bites

Started by ramjet, January 05, 2020, 08:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Yup deep fried that's correct deep fried  ;D

FreshLy harvested pheasant cut into 3/4 x 3/4 chunks then marinaded in McCormics Chipolti marinade. Then dredged in all purpose flour and bread crumbs then deep fried in cast iron canola oil at 350 for about 4-6 minutes until golden brown. Drained on paper towel then coated with BWW Mango Habenaro wing sauce yum yum yum .....

bigG

How many pheasants did it take? One doesn't go very far, in my experience. Never tried deep frying pheasant, though. Sounds like a nice option. I'd eat that action. :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Sounds yummy. I had to go and harvest a meal of grouse right before Christmas. Just a simple breading and pan fry, but delish!

bigG

Funny you bring up grouse. I have seen very few the past 5 or so years. But, I see more woodcock than I ever have. Not that that's a lot. They're pretty elusive little turds. Have to step on their toes before they'll make their break.

Grouse hunting's the funnest time, though. Great game to eat, along with sharpening some shooting skills.

ramjet

This batch was 4 birds I use a 28 gauge so they are not peppered to, pieces.

Grouse numbers are down.

I have had a great year on timber doodles this year they are delicious as well.

These bits are moist and flavorful.

bigG

My grandpa always called them timber doodles. Love it!

Funny how one goes down(grouse) while another rises (doodles). Hard to get out of hiding, dem doodles. Turn the dogs loose.

ramjet

Lol yea they are great for pointers hold soooo tight. My favorite time is when the flight comes through fast and furious action but the dog just loves it. I got pretty good and being patient to allow them to top out , the waggle stops momentarily and pow down they go.

bigG

Quote from: ramjet on February 06, 2020, 01:06:45 PM
Lol yea they are great for pointers hold soooo tight. My favorite time is when the flight comes through fast and furious action but the dog just loves it. I got pretty good and being patient to allow them to top out , the waggle stops momentarily and pow down they go.

I love watching any dogs at work. I have a coon hound (blue tick) and he doesn't need any light to find what he's looking for. I also love to hear him work. What a racket.

I was watching the show Moonshiners a few weeks back and noticed most have fleshed out coon "manhood" in their hats. One of few animals that actually has a bone in it. The old dog's 14 now, so his hunting days are pretty done; that, and nobody buys furs anymore.