Racine Judge Suspended - Guess Who?

Started by 1Iota, May 22, 2019, 11:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

I was informed after the WIAA case by many from the area down there that is a true wild card type of judge that is not respected by attorneys in the area.  The judge was described as having an agenda rather than enforcing case law.  A couple attorneys felt that if the case would have been given to any other judge it would have likely ruled in the WIAA favor.

This is why I laugh every time Luke's argument is that a judge is the almighty and better than an AD or WIAA administrator or board.

Every profession has people that are great and people that are bad.  For this reason I never blindly support someone and will never put a sign in my yard unless I personally know someone.

This judge was given a case on a Friday morning and there is no way he could become informed by the time of his ruling and the rush left all unprepared and not even all in court.  In the usual slow court process they just kick the can down the road and let the kid compete.  But then a decision matters less and the appeals court does not want to waste its time so it simply keeps the prior decision.

This judge way overstepped his bounds even with his comments about an athlete's right to celebrate.  Apparently he was trying to create more case law saying how can an athlete face consequences for celebrating.

Chasing decisions away from an informed WIAA that is directed by athletic directors around the state and into an uninformed judges courtroom will never be a great thing.  At least the judge got to see an edited video from mom as primary evidence.  LOL!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

hammen

Chill everyone. The best kid won. No one was hurt in the process. End of story.

DocWrestling

Quote from: hammen on May 24, 2019, 04:11:32 PM

He won in every way BECAUSE he was the best wrestler.  If he was a .500 wrestler he wouldn't have even wrestled at regionals.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

Quote from: Luke Louison on May 24, 2019, 12:01:08 PM
Quote from: bigG on May 24, 2019, 07:15:39 AM
The Q&A serves as precedent.

That's not how the law works. How fast people typically drive is not the speed limit.

Yes, everything should be publicly posted as such, as well. C'mon man, this was frivolous at best. I'll admit I do five over. If I get dinged, should I call Johnny Cochrane or take it for what it is and just pay the fine. If I violated, I'd deserve as much and learn from it, like most do. That's why this bugs me. It was an opportunity for a boy to grow. Either way, I can't tell a parent how to parent. Nor a judge how to judge. Just very disturbing the way our legal system kowtows to something so miniscule. The law is not the WIAA, WIAA has rule, which an (uniformed, IMHO) judge made his decision. But, if such a squiggly detail can be exploited as much, we'll see more. I bet there's a number of attorneys that would love this stuff. Doesn't do HS sports any good. Sign rules, go by rules. Simple.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigG

I should also add an apology to the Waterford wrestling community. The actions of one enabled child does not speak for the whole. I'm guessing, like 99.9% of wrestling people, you good folks are top notch. It was ignorant of me to group the whole with one enabled apple. I sincerely apologize to the Waterford wrestling team and all those great people who support them. I suspect you're probably more upset than I am about this frivolous litigation. My bad. Best of luck to you next season.

wrestle03

Hammen:

I agree with Hammen.  Why are we still kicking a dead and decomposed horse.  Time to move on.  The kid did what the system allows anyone to do.  No one has to like the result.  Speculating and saying what you would do if it was your kid, yada yada yada yada doesn't really matter. 

Jimmy

No one was hurt? The kid who followed the rules at conference but ended up fifth at regionals was hurt . The kid who took third at sectionals was hurt. And second thru sixth move up one spot on the podium were hurt. Every action has a reaction.let the wrestlers and the rules determine your opponent, not the courts!

1Iota

Quote from: wrestle03 on May 31, 2019, 04:33:46 PM
Hammen:

I agree with Hammen.  Why are we still kicking a dead and decomposed horse.  Time to move on.  The kid did what the system allows anyone to do.  No one has to like the result.  Speculating and saying what you would do if it was your kid, yada yada yada yada doesn't really matter.

This tells me you really missed the point of the greater issue this decision has created.  An outside entity has circumvented the authority of the WIAA.  This opens up an avenue of appeal for every athlete in every sport.  A precedent has been set. 

ramjet

Quote from: 1Iota on June 01, 2019, 04:22:19 PM
Hammen:

This tells me you really missed the point of the greater issue this decision has created.  An outside entity has circumvented the authority of the WIAA.  This opens up an avenue of appeal for every athlete in every sport.  A precedent has been set.

THIS

bigG

Quote from: 1Iota on June 01, 2019, 04:22:19 PM
Hammen:

This was no such thing. It was a typical lawyer move of finding a ticky tack to attack the precedent set by the WIAA. They'll clean up the language and that'll be that. Loophole litigation at its finest. Those who played by the rules got the screws. Most of those folks probably don't have the priv. to gain such representation. Oh well, this is how lawyers make their $. I suppose schools will get more of this, from the disciplinary side, from the privileged parents who feel their precious ones have been slighted. Dangerous precedent.

Whoever thinks the precedent hs little to no bearing on justice is flat out mistaken. THAT is why this is big. The fact that a judge felt it just to circumvent the WIAA is the scary part t many of us.